Backing down launch ramp with surge disc brakes

w2much

Lieutenant
I have a full size Bronco which I use to tow my 21' Striper with a 150 HP. I always back down the ramp in 4wd. If I do not the boat and trailer weight pull the tow vehicle backwards down the ramp. The nature of the disc system with a surge coupler means I have no trailer brakes ever when in reverse due the solonoid releasing fluid pressure to the brakes. Is this correct or do I have it wrong? The Bronco has good size tire with new tread. It does not seem right that I should need to use 4wd as I see other smaller tow vehicles not sliding. I have plenty of tongue weight also. Is this one of the differences between disc and drum surge activated brakes on boat trailers?

oldjeep

Admiral
Yup, that is correct with any surge brake setup. Even without the lockout solenoid, there isn't any reason the brakes would want to actuate when backing downhill. No idea why you have to be in 4wd unless your tires are so wide that it spreads out your available weight too much.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
That's the nature of trailer surge brakes, drum or disc. Even if you didn't have a reverse lock out the brakes won't actuate when backing down hill.

thumpar

Admiral
Sounds like a brake issue with the tow vehicle. You should not have to be in 4wd while backing. I only use 4wd to pull out of the lake but don't really need to.

MH Hawker

Vice Admiral
What year some of the older ones were known for a very light back end

Fed

Commander
Push harder on the brake pedal until all the truck wheels stop turning.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Push harder on the brake pedal until all the truck wheels stop turning.
That will make it worse. Skidding wheels stop slower than turning wheels hence the reason for anti-lock brakes.

boatman37

Lieutenant
4WD has nothing to do with braking. i put mine in 4WD but only because it helps when in park since all 4 wheels are now in park and not just the rears. but as far as braking when backing up, 4WD has nothing to do with braking ability. my boat is about 8000-8500lb with trailer and my 1/2 ton ram has no problem at all backing down the ramp. and i have the cheap crappy original tires that are horrible on wet pavement (good year wrangler SRA)

thumpar

Admiral
4WD has nothing to do with braking. i put mine in 4WD but only because it helps when in park since all 4 wheels are now in park and not just the rears. but as far as braking when backing up, 4WD has nothing to do with braking ability. my boat is about 8000-8500lb with trailer and my 1/2 ton ram has no problem at all backing down the ramp. and i have the cheap crappy original tires that are horrible on wet pavement (good year wrangler SRA)
Like you say that it puts all 4 wheels in park it also puts all 4 wheels braking equally. In the snow I will but my Yukon in 4wd when going down a hill for better braking.

boatman37

Lieutenant
when it comes to engine braking 4WD will help but backing down a ramp at 2 MPH your engine RPM will not be holding the wheels back

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
In the snow I will but my Yukon in 4wd when going down a hill for better braking.
Actually it hurts your braking. You want each wheel 's ABS to react independently. If you put it in 4wd and have any engine braking at all, you just wiped out your ABS effectiveness.

You never want to use the compression of the engine to slow you down in snow. And if that's the case, putting it in 4WD is another no no.

Same reason truckers turn off the Jakes in snow and ice.

Last edited:

thumpar

Admiral
Actually it hurts your braking. You want each wheel 's ABS to react independently. If you put it in 4wd and have any engine braking at all, you just wiped out your ABS effectiveness.

You never want to use the compression of the engine to slow you down in snow. And if that's the case, putting it in 4WD is another no no.

Same reason truckers turn off the Jakes in snow and ice.
I wasn't talking about engine braking.

tpenfield

Staff member
As stated above (somewhere) a surge brake system does not activate when the trailer and vehicle are backing down hill (ramp) regardless of the lock-out solenoid. You would have the issue with disc or drum brakes. The surge brake system only activates when the trailer is trying to 'push' the tow vehicle. In the case of backing down the ramp, the trailer is trying to 'pull' the vehicle.

Something must be up with the truck . . .

mr geets

Petty Officer 3rd Class
I found the other aspect of surge trailer brakes when I parked against a curb while on a slight downhill. I couldn't back up and ended up driving over the sidewalk to leave.

joetheis

Petty Officer 1st Class
I wonder IF he puts the Bronco into, "4 Low"?
This will cause gear drag and he can slowly back down the ramp.
I have launched/retrieved boats whit cars that were way to small to tow it and never had a problem.
I THINK what the "Backer Down" feels comfortable doing!
I like to open all the windows (to hear anyone scream), and creep down the ramp to wet my boat.
(You know as soon as you screw up 100,000 people will be standing there laughing and pointing! Been there done that)!!
If you THINK you need 4 wheel drive to get out of the ramp, use it! You payed for it!!
Better that than that wheel spin with everyone pointing!
Joe
Just my 2 cents!
Always take any advice I give with a can of beer er 2!

oldjeep

Admiral
I found the other aspect of surge trailer brakes when I parked against a curb while on a slight downhill. I couldn't back up and ended up driving over the sidewalk to leave.

That is why it is important to have a wood block and the lockout key with you - assuming you can over power the trailer brakes for about 6 inches.