TRAILER PART

saltysenior

Seaman Apprentice
boat was sittin' funny so I crawled under and then crawled out in a hurry.... the main fore and aft beam( 2''x3'' Galv.about 16' long) has sagged and is rusted out...It 's a Venture trailer and the wheels & axles are pretty new.....Does anyone know if this beam,or one like it, is available somewhere ???

and also is there a dealer or website that quotes prices for trailers on line???

gm280

Supreme Mariner
salty, we need pictures to answer that question. We need to see what you are seeing. So post a picture or three and we will give you ideas and suggestions. JMHO!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
If trailer frame is as rusted as you say and without pics, it's hard to judge, I think you need a trailer. Chances are that part isn't the only bad part.

Google boat trailers or look in the yellow pages* for a dealer near Stuart, FL

* No directory - Then use yp,com

fhhuber

Lieutenant
A good weld shop... preferably one that makes custom trailers.

You might need a complete new frame if a main frame member is rusted through to the point of sagging. Depends on where you are as to who to get a quote from. sometimes its cheaper to have the new frame welded up. Sometimes its cheaper to just buy a new trailer.

saltysenior

Seaman Apprentice
Pictures???? I'm lucky if I get this thing turned on !! my trailer is similar to the venture md #.vb1000 on their website.....my rusted beam runs back from the hitch and is bolted to the cross frame just forward of the axle...my cross frame runs strait across...the wishbone (side) frames are bolted to the main as in the display..my sag is about where the jack is pictured....and after looking a little better the length of the beam is about 11ft.

Bondo

Staff member
.my rusted beam runs back from the hitch and is bolted to the cross frame just forward of the axle...my cross frame runs strait across..

Ayuh,.... If it's a box beam, square tubin', 'bout any steel supply house oughta be able to sell ya a stick the size ya want, in the length ya need,....

So long as it's a bolted in piece, yer just lookin' at drillin' the holes in the new piece, 'n boltin' it together,....

But,... As noted above, I'd be takin' a serious look at the rest of the steel in the wagon, as it's doubtful, Only that one is rotten,....

Ya probably oughta be thinkin', New wagon, vs: fixin' that one,.....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
If one tube is rusted thru, all others are not far behind. Good news is Florida is the land of aluminum and galvanized channel trailers. Plenty on craigslist

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
If there are other boxed sections on this trailer, you are going to need a new trailer.

saltysenior

Seaman Apprentice
the other framework is all channel.......I found I could buy that 12' piece in galv. for about $130.......Time to shore up the boat and crawl under to see if it can be done...if it was new ,I believe it would be a 1 hr job.....but you know metal & salt water....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
your current one is 16' long, and the one your looking at is 12' long..... simple math tells me your about 4' short

saltysenior

Seaman Apprentice
[QUiOTE=Scott Danforth;n10118003]your current one is 16' long, and the one your looking at is 12' long..... simple math tells me your about 4' short[/QUOTE]

i measured with out lookin'........when i looked it only runs back to a midship crossframe.....12 feet

saltysenior

Seaman Apprentice
got it all apart.... the Good Lord was with me the last few times I trailed the boat...that main beam (tongue) was rusting out from the inside...We will replace that but some places (channel) show advanced rust, but are sound...Plan to chip,scrape,and wire brush those areas, then treat with Ospho and then spray on a zinc coating.
any thoughts on this....
thanks.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Chipping and scraping will compromise the integrity of the channel. You should really replace with good metal. I would be in the new trailer camp.......

Slow Ride

Petty Officer 2nd Class
This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen on 9 different levels. If one is bad, the other is also. If the tongue was bad, most of the rest of the trailer is bad. Its going to break when you least expect it. Hopefully that will not be when you are going down the road. I don't want to be a party pooper, but I have been there and it sucks. Replaced one axle and a month later the other one broke. Tore up the bottom of my boat and nearly took out another truck on the freeway. Just my 2 cents....

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Agree with SR and the others. It takes a rolloff wrecker to move a busted boat and trailer. Starts at $200 plus mileage. Been there!