Trailer surge brake coupler

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Im wanting to get a new coupler as mine stopped working and after looking at the master cylinder i can see why! Nothing but brown rusty fluid.
The one in the pic is rated for 12,000 pounds.
Trailer is double axle.
Boat is a 1984 24.5 Bayliner. New from the factory dry weight was 4,200 lbs.(brochure)
Now has 2 batteries, Holds 64gal fuel and 19gal of fresh water + wife stuff. So probably 5,500lbs ready to go
Seams like a 8,000 pound coupler would work fine and over $100 cheaper
Think a 8,000lb coupler would work fine?

Attachments

• photo237825.jpg
    photo237825.jpg
    340.9 KB · Views: 0

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Are you sure you need a coupler?

Brown rusty fluid indicates issues in the brake system which may mean master cylinder, brake cylinders, brake lines. The coupler itself is probably fine....

thumpar

Admiral
Keep in mind you need to count the trailer weight also. 8,000lb may be fine but I don't know what the trailer weighs. If the fluid is rusty you will probably need some other parts.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Yes i know i need other parts also. Probably wheel cylinders for sure and might as well put new shoes on at the same time.
Trailer is a EZunloader probably weights clost to 1000lbs give or take a few hundred.

thumpar

Admiral
Yes i know i need other parts also. Probably wheel cylinders for sure and might as well put new shoes on at the same time.
Trailer is a EZunloader probably weights clost to 1000lbs give or take a few hundred.
You can probably get new backing plates for less than the price of the cylinder and shoes. I replaced my actuator, main line and all 4 backing plates 2 years ago.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer

Yes Thank you.
Interesting though mine has 12k stamped on it. Anyway

I would like to just replace the entire coupler and a 8K rated coupler will work fine i believe and over $100 less

alldodge

Staff member
Don't have an opinion just an observation

Trailer manufacture installed a 12K coupler originally. Have not found a manufacturer which installs something which is more then what is needed, unless they were under the gun and did not have time to obtain the one needed.

While a manufacture would not skimp, they would not normally use more costly items if not needed.

You entire fully loaded boat and trailer is a bit under 8K but it came with a 12K coupler.

Just a notation of the original, and an observation

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Loaded galvanized backing plates are $50 a set. Brake shoes by themselves are almost $40. And the wheel cylinders are at least $25. Makes most sence to buy a complete assembly.

Master cylinders are cheap compared to whole coupler

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Loaded galvanized backing plates are $50 a set. Brake shoes by themselves are almost $40. And the wheel cylinders are at least $25. Makes most sence to buy a complete assembly.

Master cylinders are cheap compared to whole coupler
He's going to need 12" brakes and they are a bit more money if you don't go on the cheap and buy TieDown.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
12" brakes? was wondering about that as i have not looked yet.
I tow my boat to the lake and back about 6 miles both ways. Figured a new hitch would be easiest but a rebuild is doable also. Mater cylinder and latch repair kit would probably make it as good as new anyway so may end up just doing that.
Going to be a couple more weeks before i can get the drums off. I do know teh tires are 15in though

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
No Title

These look like 10 or 12in? Can you even tell from the pics?

Attachments

• photo237959.jpg
    photo237959.jpg
    286.2 KB · Views: 0

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
How many lug bolts do you have? If it is 6, you have a 12". You need to take the drum off anyway to determine the width and the depth of the brake shoes anyway.

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
Nha 5 lug. Gonna be a few weeks till i can get to the point of taking it apart. Thought i could get ahead of the game and order parts now.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Very strange that you would have 5 lug and they put a 12000# surge brake actuator on there. Typically, 5 lug would be on a 3,500# axle

thumpar

Admiral
I bought my backing plates from vm who made my trailer. They were 55 each.

Last edited:

PatinIdaho

Chief Petty Officer
I think it is not the original coupler. You can see where the part that holds the boat bow has been moved back a couple inches to make room for the coupler.
Went and counted and it is in fact 2 axles 5lug 15in rims.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Then, it will likely be 10" drums then. You still want to pull the drum and measure before you order anything.

Your boat pretty much is the same weight as mine. I had a 7000# coupler before I ditched it and put on an electric/hydraulic system with Kodiac disc brakes.

Now that we know more, this is the coupler I would change to
http://www.championtrailers.com/titan-dico-model-6-drum-brake-actuator/

Do not buy anything made by TieDown!

Last edited: