Keel Roller Removal

Bryonreid

Cadet
Ok so I am redoing a trailer. I have it all sanded and painted. I am trying to remove the keel roller at the very back of the trailer. It is an approx 10" roller/transom saver and it is mounted in welded bracket. On the outside of the bracket on either side there small 1 inch rollers. Here is my problem. I have removed the end caps on the shaft, removed the small rollers, but the large roller in the bracket is still there. Is there a trick to getting the shaft out? I have tried to beat on it with a hammer but the shaft does not budge and the end of the shaft is just starting to mushroom from the hammering. Any suggestions on how to remove the shaft and roller.

Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
saw, then buy a new $9 roller and shaft.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
I learned the hard way it takes a lot more effort to remove hardware with some corrosion on it for reuse than it is to just demo it. Cut off U-bolts and replace them with new.... much quicker. Or as Scott suggested in this case, cut the shaft off and replace it. If you're left with a plug in your bracket, try using penetrating oil, heat it and pound it out. If that fails, drill it out. There's always a way.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Yep.... the old Chicago wrench removes about anything, may not be pretty but it gets the job done!