Towing a tri toon on a two bunk trailer

mattb100

Cadet
Went to a dealer who shall remain nameless, the salesman says they sell two bunk trailers for the tri toon boats, regardless of brand. If it matters, I am looking at Manitou, Aurora, VP, with a 150. This model has a 44 gal fuel tank within the center tube towards the rear. So, 265 lbs of fuel at full tank, 420 to 480 lbs for an O/B hanging on the transom. The center tube is full length and becomes the transom, so to speak. Personally, I think it is a bad idea for the long term life of the boat. Any one want to chime in on this? Thanks.

mattb100

Cadet
Yeah, I did that before I posted here. As of right now, there action was to forward my email to that same dealer and he called me back reiterating that they do it all the time. I am disappointed in that response from Manitou, perhaps I will hear something from them yet. If an issue arose under warranty, you think they would cover it?

captmello

Captain
I would buy a trailer with a third bunk. That's a lot of weight hanging there.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
I wouldnt run a marathon without a jock strap, I wouldnt tow a tri-toon without supporting the center log either.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Why would a dealer not want a customer to spend more money and reduce possible warranty claims? If the center toon falls off while towing or the boat is damaged in any way by using the wrong trailer, Manitou won't honor the warranty and neither will the trailer manufacturer. It would fall right on the dealer. Most confusing!

Without seeing your email to Manitou, the forwarding to the dealer could because of how the email was written. I mean how did they know which to dealer for forwarding your email?

mattb100

Cadet
For full disclosure to Manitou, I let them know who I talked to. There were other questions but the trailer was a big one for me. If/when, I will be getting the third bunk. It just kind of blew me away that there seemed to be no concern for this, wonder what an insurance company would say in the event of injury. Just a standard customer service response at Manitou's end I guess. I let them know I had talked to the dealer. I was, and still do, expect a response from them, why they would forward it right back to the same dealer, I don't know. If they do reply I will update. Thanks for chiming in all.

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
Since they forwarded your email to the dealer they probably consider your case closed and will never reply again. IMHO.....
Try emailing them again or find a phone number for Manitou.

oldjeep

Admiral
Not understanding why it matters. Scissor trailers don't support any of the tubes

mattb100

Cadet
Old Jeep, it is a tube bunk style trailer, the tubes sit on the bunk like a v hull would. I heard back from Manitou, and as we would figure they recommend a tri bunk trailer for a tri toon boat. A salesman not being informed, hmm... Time for a new salesman. Yeah, I know, he is full of **** but I was being nice. He also stated their mooring covers were road worthy, again not informed. Perhaps time for a whole new dealer. Thanks all. Thanks Manitou.

oldjeep

Admiral
Old Jeep, it is a tube bunk style trailer, the tubes sit on the bunk like a v hull would. I heard back from Manitou, and as we would figure they recommend a tri bunk trailer for a tri toon boat. A salesman not being informed, hmm... Time for a new salesman. Yeah, I know, he is full of **** but I was being nice. He also stated their mooring covers were road worthy, again not informed. Perhaps time for a whole new dealer. Thanks all. Thanks Manitou.

Yup, I get that. My point is that you could have also bought it on a scissor trailer where none of the logs were supported, so the fact that one isn't supported isn't a big deal unless the boat is poorly constructed.