Tongue Length

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Generally speaking does a four foot tongue on fourteen foot single axle utility trailer sound okay?

thumpar

Admiral
Sounds about right. Make sure it has enough tongue weight and you will be fine.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
As long as the hull's bow isn't right on top of the tow vehicle, it should work. The longer the tongue, the easier it is to maneuver. JMHO

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Thanks fellers. That's what I figured but thought I'd run it by the gang.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Generally speaking does a four foot tongue on fourteen foot single axle utility trailer sound okay?

As long as the hull's bow isn't right on top of the tow vehicle, it should work. The longer the tongue, the easier it is to maneuver. JMHO

I don't think that's an issue. :joyous:

With a long tongue and single axle, cargo placement will be critical for maintaining the right tongue weight. More so than a shorter tongue because there is more see-saw action with the long tongue.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Other than tongue weight or clearance if jack knifed I don't see where the length of a tongue should make any difference whether a trailer usable or not.

Of the 2 14' boats I've had one had a short and one had a long and the only noticeable difference I seen was how much farther I could get the boat in the water than I can with the shorter one. I don't notice any difference in backing or turning. Only thing I easily notice is I seem more nervous pulling the short one because every time I look in the mirror I get the feeling the bow is coming into the bed of the truck. Though I know it's not.

Guess I just don't pay that much attention to it.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
My trailer is 25' long for a 21' boat. I have just enough room to open the hatch with the trailer hooked up.

Bonz_d I like the comment about the bow. When I look in my rear view all I see is boat.

64osby

Admiral
I have 4' of tongue in front of a 4x8 utility trailer. Pulling it is great, backing up is a challenge. Once it is off center it turns very fast.

lckstckn2smknbrls

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have a 4'X8' utility trailer it's tongue was a little shorter than 4' and was an odd shape which made it impossible to mount a tongue jack on it. I got a great deal on a 2.5"x2.5" tube 1/8" wall 8' long, about 1' of it is under the trailer so the tongue is 7'. I was going to cut the tongue to a length that would allow my to jack knife the trailer but before I could a neighbor needed to move a long plastic culvert. The extra long tongue has came in very helpful many times so I have left it.
I know your talking about a much larger trailer, I'm having a trailer custom built it will be a 6'X8" deck over with a 3000 pound capacity, I've added the extra long tongue to the design of the new trailer.

Last edited:

lncoop

Vice Admiral
This will be for hauling a fourteen foot raft inflated. I'll most likely put a full sized truck box on the tongue right against the cargo box. If I can find some cheap I might even mount wheel well boxes where the fenders go. Wheel well boxes aren't nearly as common on CL as bed boxes though. This trailer could be epic, boys.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Here's a pic. It's a neat trailer and I think would work well for my purpose with some minor bubba mods. 01616_eWtmVDCI1ig_600x450.jpg

GA_Boater

She comes with three spares. too. :thumb: LOL A sturdy looking hauler!

Are you going to put the inflatable flat on the floor or make some bunky type things on top of the side rails? You could build a storage box lower or as high as the side rails and carry the raft on top of the box. It would look like a pop-up camper with the raft on top. I love to spend your money. :rolleyes:

lncoop

Vice Admiral
It's considerably wider than the floor of the trailer. I'd like to have a trailer with a wide enough floor to accommodate the boat on occasion but not badly enough to spend what it would cost to get one. It's 6' 10" and 7' + is not a common utility trailer width. Probably just add some bunk type critters for the flat section of the raft to rest on like you said. That will be plenty of surface area and there should be more than enough room underneath for coolers, dry boxes, children, etc.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Shoot a popup camper would haul an upside down raft quite well...

3 1/2 to 4' is about the standard tongue length for most trailers of any size.

The tongue needs to be about (preferably a little over) half of the width of the towing vehicle to allow tight turns...

Keep in mind that a storage box on the tongue may interfere with turning.

As for the segway on building a trailer.. I would suggest a longer deck instead of a longer tongue.... Sturdier, more cargo area, more versatile.... Tho heavier and more expensive too....

EDIT: oh oh oh.... How about a built in telescopic tongue.... Able to pull out 2, 4, even 8' as needed and pin in place...

Short for max capacity and long to haul that freak 24' canoe home to the wifey...

Sorry coop I'm easily distracted tho I suppose you COULD apply this to your trailer.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

That would lift the raft off the floor and will be just right. Room for the MIL, too. :eek:

Keep us posted on the progress. Winter is dull around here. :blue:

lncoop

Vice Admiral
Shoot a popup camper would haul an upside down raft quite well...

The raft rides right side up. Pop up would be sweet but I'm not sure the roof could handle the weight. Boat is ~ 140 and frame is ~ 40, then there's the large cooler, dry boxes, etc. that have to come along on multi-days. The rig will go down some pretty sketchy "roads" too, not to mention being towed by a pretty sketchy character.:eek:

lncoop

Vice Admiral
That would lift the raft off the floor and will be just right. Room for the MIL, too. :eek:

Keep us posted on the progress. Winter is dull around here. :blue:

We'll do pal. Winter's normally pretty exciting around here for those of us not on IR.:grumpy:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I had a buddy who used to haul two dirt bikes on his popup but yeah the extra gear would probably pose a problem.... Not to mention all the sketchyness :p

lncoop

Vice Admiral
image_238427.jpg image_238428.jpg So, progress. The trailer sold to someone else which was a blessing. Instead I was able to swap the trailer I no longer wanted for the trailer I did. No selling then buying, no buying then selling, which are always such a hassle. My buddy brought me his (now my) trailer and went home with my (now his) trailer. How bout that?;) It's a 6x14 (cargo area) single axle pipe top beast. Needs BBs, tires and lights which I can do in my sleep but it's towable as is. Saturday I Bubba Modded it and now it's officially a raft hauler. Gracie has already told me what we'll do to make it fancy; blue/gray color scheme like the raft with sparkle fleck like a bass boat. That kid.:laugh: I carpeted three 2x8s and fastened them across the top with carriage bolts, two hole conduit straps and nylock nuts. It's unlikely I'll ever want to but should I need to temporarily remove them that will make it relatively easy. When I was done I rolled the deflated raft onto the boards then inflated it slowly taking care to keep it off the trailer floor. Once it was inflated I repositioned the bunks as appropriate then snugged them down. Turned out great. The raft is very easy to slide around and strap down and there's ample room on the trailer for gear, kayaks, unruly children and in laws. Can't wait to get on the water!

Last edited:

GA_Boater

I got dizzy reading all that swapping around stuff.. LOL

Looks like it does the job, Coop. :thumb:

Now about that kid Gracie and her color scheme - No pin stripes and flames? Do not tell her I said that! :D