New Axle For '84 Ranger Trailer

foolishpride65

Recruit
I'm new here, and came looking for some help. My elderly father-in-law has an 84 Ranger bass boat, and has on more than one occasion, wiped the trailer bearings out. The last time, in the fall of '14, it was so bad, part of the bearing was fused to the spindle. I had to take a hacksaw to it to get it off. So last November, when he brought it to my house to store it, I spun the wheel on the last repaired hub, and I heard grinding.

So I took it all apart today, and the outer bearing is wiped. Inspection of the spindle, shows much damage. So I'm looking for a replacement axle. This axle is rectangle, measures 2" x 2.75" with a 1" drop on the spindle. I've scoured the net looking for a match, but didn't have much luck for a direct replacement.

Thanks everyone!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I suggest that you pick up the phone and call any one of the trailer parts outfits on the web.... Methinks they'll have no problem fixing you up.... Sometimes actual interpersonal interaction beats the snot out of the Dubdubdub.... ;-)

batman99

Petty Officer 1st Class
Within your region, call / visit:
- RV Trailer companies.
- Local welding shops
- Local steel fabrication shops.
- Some auto repair shops.

If wondering, I bought new axle (with brakes) for my utility trailer at local RV company (via special order part).

Hope this helps.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Champion Trailers in Slidell La will make you an axle to your specs. I had one made in 2004 that has served me well. Galvanized and Spindle lube hubs....

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Welcome to the forum.

Etrailer.com is a great resource, measurement and video and customer service. I'd just replace the whole shebang.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
There are lots of web sites that show you how to measure and order an axle and then order it. There is nothing special about your axle. I also question why bearings have been such an issue. Lack of maintenance is probably the main reason but I suspect improper pre-load and/or assembly is the culprit. Again, there are lots of on-line sites that explain how to do this.