Towing weight question

tannedman

Seaman
Ok thinking buying a bigger boat but I drive a 2010 Mazda tribute AWD 2.5 4cyl max towing weight is 1500 lbs. Now this might be a silly question but I know you add the weight of the boat and motor together but do you also add the weight of the trailer

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Boat, motor, trailer and everything you put in the boat

And... stuff in the trunk of the car can affect how well the car tows the trailer.

alldodge

Staff member
1500 pound towing capacity isn't much more then a jon boat and with a small outboard. As fh mentioned all that stuff and even the folks in the car reduce the tow capacity.

tannedman

Seaman
ok when buying a boat and it give's you the weight and max hp on the plate does that include both boat and max hp in that weight or just the boat weight

alldodge

Staff member
The weight is the max weight the boat is allowed to carry not counting the motor, does not include the weight of the boat

The max hp is just the motor hp

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The weight on the placard in the boat is not even slightly useful to you in determining what you can tow...
You need to put a prospective rig on a scale...

Also yes the tow capacity is what you are towing... All of it and not just part of it.... As mentioned above heavily loading the car can reduce the tow capacity also.

thumpar

Admiral
The "tow" capacity in most cases is the weight of everything in the vehicle, trailer and whatever is on the trailer. For the boat the weight does include motor on an outboard boat. So motor, people and gear. You will be kind of limited in choice with that tow vehicle.

tannedman

Seaman
yes but it shows boat length 17ft Max hp 75 boat weight 850 lbs max person's 4 or 600 lbs my question is the weight of the motor already included with the weight it gives for the boat weight or do I have to add approx. 275 lbs for motor weight to the 850 boat weight to come up with weight of boat and motor total weight

thumpar

Admiral
yes but it shows boat length 17ft Max hp 75 boat weight 850 lbs max person's 4 or 600 lbs my question is the weight of the motor already included with the weight it gives for the boat weight or do I have to add approx. 275 lbs for motor weight to the 850 boat weight to come up with weight of boat and motor total weight
You need to add up the motor, people and gear for the boat weight capacity. With a 275lb motor, your gear, the trailer, boat and people you take with you I think you will be well over your tow capacity.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
At 1500lb tow capacity, you need to check and see if that includes everything IN the tow vehicle other then the driver too. IIRC your Tribute is similar to my Escape. Its 3500lb tow capacity includes people and gear in my Escape

What boat are you talking about? 850lb 17ft boat w a 275lb motor is probably fiberglass.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I think you need to look again... It should not list the boa weight... It lists the max allowable weight including engine persons and gear.... That weight IS NOT the weight of the boat.... Again you need to put the boat, motor, and trailer ion a scale with battery, full fuel tank, anchor etc... Then you need to add anything else you will put in the boat... Loaded cooler, fishing gear, etc.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
The placard in the boat, does not tell you the weight of the boat.
Also, not all placards contain the same into, as they have changed over the years, and from manufacturer to manufacturer.

All outboard type boats will list the maximum hp that can be used.
Some will give a maximum number of people and their weight.
Some will list maximum weight of people and gear.
Some will list the maximum weight of people, gear, and the motor.

None that I have seen, will tell you how much the boat itself weighs.

You need to reference a manual, brochure, or nadaguides to get the hull weight.

So, hull weight,
plus full fuel load weight,
plus batterie(s) weight,
plus motor weight,
plus trailer weight,
plus miscellaneous gear weight,
plus cargo in tow vehicle,

If you tell us what rig you are looking at, we could give you a guesstimate of the total weight.

Make, model, year of boat and motor would be helpful.

You might be able to squeak under the 1500# tow capacity IF it is a more basic aluminum boat.

Also, check not only the tow capacity of your vehicle, but also look in the towing section of the owners manual, and see if it requires the trailer to have brakes.

Many vehicles with a 5000# rating, require trailers of 1500# to have brakes.
Also, your state towing laws may require you to have brakes.

thumpar

Admiral
In addition check to see if a WDH is required to achieve that tow rating.
I would doubt that on a low rating. I think the main reason for the low rating is the engine size and that it is built on a car based platform. They probably don't recommend a WDH on them.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
The Mazda tribute is a glorified car and not a tow vehicle. As reference, my father's Jetta has a 2000 # tow capacity. That's limited a 14' aluminum boat with a 12hp gale / johnson, trailet, fishing gear, cooler and fuel

What boat are you looking at?

You need to add the following:

Dry weight of boat
Dry weight of outboard
Weight of trailer
Weight of fuel
Weight of gear
Weight of passengers
Weight of coolers

With a 1500# capacity, your limited to a small aluminum fishing boat with a 20hp tiller, fuel and gear