Best primer and paint for a C-channel trailer

Bryonreid

Cadet
I have an '86 shoreline trailer for a 17 foot aluminum boat. I've sanded and wire wheeled all ythe rust off. I've also treated the tight rust with corraseal. I want a solid gloss black paint on it. I'm not on a tight budget but also don't want to spend a fortune. -thanks!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I like the oil based Benjamin Moore paints. Getting harder for me to get oil based in California(LA county) especially in gallon sizes. To me, the price of the paint is secondary since there is so much labor involved. That being said. I have also use the Rustoleum products as well.

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are so many types paint you can use. And reading some threads on these forums will offer a lot of them. My only suggestion is to use compatible primers and paints. And that is usually from the same manufacturer. If you go Rustoleum type paints, go with Rustoleum primer first. And if you go that route, use their hardener in the paint to offer a better harder finish. It will help with the gloss retention and avoid scratching and such a lot better. I myself used PPG Shop Line Automotive type primers and paints. You can see my trailer rebuild by clinking the link below if you want. JMHO!

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Rustoleum truck bed coating... paint and primer in one and very resistant to just about anything, including chipping from rocks as you tow the trailer. Plus you get a non-skid surface for standing on the trailer frame to work on or get in the boat when the trailer is wet.

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
I agree with GM; match the paint with the primer. I used TSC Farm & Implement paint with the harder. It dried shiny and hard!

Bryonreid

Cadet
Thanks everybody. I am going for Rustoleum primer and paint. This is my first project with a HVLP gun so wish me luck. I have no idea on how to thin and harden paint. Anybody have any suggestions on thinning and adding hardener.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Thanks everybody. I am going for Rustoleum primer and paint. This is my first project with a HVLP gun so wish me luck. I have no idea on how to thin and harden paint. Anybody have any suggestions on thinning and adding hardener.

I don't know all the actual brand names for the hardeners, but Majic Catalyst Hardener is one I see used on here. Others will chime in with more types I'm sure. However, If you never ever sprayed painted before, there are a few things to consider.

First is the spray gun. What tip size is it? Usually for primers, a 1.6mm - 1.8mm tip is a good size. You can use larger or smaller and still get a great finish. It is just the 1.6mm to 1.8mm size is optimal for primers because primers are usually thicker then finish paint. But don't worry if your HLVP gun isn't that size. Next is the air supply. Unless you have a drier already installed on the compressor, use a cheap (few bucks) inline drier at the gun. They sell them at a lot of paint stores, not hard to find. Next issue is air pressure. Most HVLP spray guns like to use inlet pressure around 30-40psi. So either set your regulator at the compressor to give that pressure at the gun, or again buy a cheap regulator to install at the gun. Just be informed that if you set the compressor to 40psi, it probably isn't going to be 40psi at the gun. It will certainly be less. So a regulator installed at the gun is the better choice. But you can use a compressor setup as well.

Other then that, get some old cardboard and do some practice spraying with your gun to see what every knob actually does. And you can see the fan pattern change from a really small circle to a large oval. And the amount of paint that is applied when you change mixture setting. It is best to do that to set the gun close to what you need before hand. But obviously when you start spraying even primer, you need to check it on some old cardboard first to set the pattern and paint amounts you want.

Other then that, don't be afraid to try it and have fun. It really is very intuitive and a pretty quick learning curve. And YOU can do it. :thumb:

Oh, one other thing I forgot to mention, it is addicting, so be aware! :thumb:

Redfred1

Chief Petty Officer
Also would suggest not painting cold metal. Might wait till warmer weather.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I had an old Gator that was red from rust. I prepped it just like you described, and then brush applied Rust reformer to kill and turn the rust black. Topped that off with rustoleum fish oil primer, followed by a topcoat of gloss black Rustoleum enamel. I rolled the topcoat on, giving it a uniform texture.

I had that trailer for 23 years and it was stored outside all that time in a northern winter climate. When I sold it no rust had come thru and it still looked like new.