Autoride maintenance (lack of)finally caught up

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Well, my leaky shocks on the tow rig finally got me. The compressor finally stopped pumping this weekend. I knew the shocks leaked air but ignored them.

I just ordered a new compresor and 2 Monroe shocks that will keep the autoride in tact. I could have kept autoleveling and bypassed the autoride for about $100 less, but it is a cadillac and we do take it on our long trips. I guess I can't go wrong for only $100.

I'm honestly glad it happened now. I planned to do shocks before the summer, but we all know that could have gotten reprioritized for a number of reasons.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the sad part, most of the air ride leaks are from the $0.10 o-ring sealing the lines. the o-rings are not o-zone friendly and they split.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
I put a new compressor, 2 new rear air shocks and 2 new shocks/struts up front in our '07 Chevy 'Hoe last fall. At a 120K the original stuff was complete junk. The way it drove afterwards was nothing short of amazing. It's funny how as stuff degrades over time you don't realize just how crappy the ride/handling is until you fix it.

I bought everything on Amazon and saved a LOT money. Anyone that's priced some of this stuff knows you can spend close to $400 for just one shock w/electronic dampening.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I actually got the shocks from Rock Auto at a pretty good price. I was ready to go Arnott with the bypass and am sure I will be glad I didn't

I'm anxious to see how it rides when done. I bought it 3 years ago with 103K on it and it now has 120K. I might actually start driving it more if it rides that much better.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Oh yes, Rock Auto usually does have the best prices once you figure in all the shipping and coupon discounts. :thumb:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
You know I checked Rock Auto and think I still did better w/Amazon. I payed $172 each for the fronts, $176 each for the rears and $222 for the compressor. Those prices included shipping. This was all basically OEM nice quality stuff. One of the shocks arrived with a broken connector for the electronic dampening so I had to return that and get another sent out to me.

Last edited: