Pontoon Trailer

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I'm looking for a pontoon trailer for a 20-22' pontoon, I found this one (pic below) for $1300 but I notice the wheels are close together? Could this tip over in high winds any easier vs a single axle where the wheels are on the outside of the frame (I found one new for $2000). My boat will be around 2000lb. $700 is a big difference In cost just don't know how the 2 trailers compare for towing on highways. I will have to hard top canopy on the boat as well. I found a picture of the new trailer as well.

Attachments

• photo236874.jpg
    photo236874.jpg
    42.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo236878.jpg
    photo236878.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
They sure look too close to me. My 21 footer has them on the outside of the frame under the bunks.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Wider is better. I don't really understand why someone would do it that way. If its to avoid ending up greater than legal width there are better ways to do it.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
It's to keep the trailer lower but I would rather have them under the bunks and higher. It's also illegal without fenders.

mla2ofus

Chief Petty Officer
looks like someone knows how to weld but not how to figure things out. From what I can see it didn't lower the tlr anymore than if the wheels were out where they should be. If the bunk brackets are just welded to the frame rails I wouldn't have much trust in them. Looks like something to walk away from or if you have the tools and skills buy it at a greatly reduced price and make it right.
Mike

Bayou Dave

Lieutenant Commander
The new trailer is a much better choice. Make sure you strap the boat on real good. With a hard top on the pontoon there will be a lot of uplift going down the road.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
looks like someone knows how to weld but not how to figure things out. From what I can see it didn't lower the tlr anymore than if the wheels were out where they should be. If the bunk brackets are just welded to the frame rails I wouldn't have much trust in them. Looks like something to walk away from or if you have the tools and skills buy it at a greatly reduced price and make it right.
Mike

The bends in the frame... that crazy thing looks like it was was factory made.
Home builders normally cut and weld those angles.

catfishhoward

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I figure to buy the new one, if I do put a hard top or build a small enclosed shelter on the boat it will be safer to drive in high winds on the highway.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I suspect the story on that first trailer is two fold... Looks factory built to me but I'd say someone has raised it by moving the axles under the springs...
Flipping them back would lower it 6"...

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
It's to keep the trailer lower but I would rather have them under the bunks and higher. It's also illegal without fenders.

I think the idea is that the pontoon itself counts as the fender. I've owned numerous pontoons over the years, not a single one had fenders. Looking through a couple different pontoon and trailer mfg's, some have fenders, some don't.

Karavan Trailers
http://www.karavantrailers.com/text12591_1.gif

Kennedy Pontoons
http://www.kennedypontoons.com/images/large/Crated-Electric-Boat-145.jpg

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Just looked up fender requirements and apparently it varies state to state.

If you have a blowout on your trailer tire, sure seems you would want to have a fender on there.

Last edited:

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
For your short 10 mile tows I would just go with a scissors trailer. That's what I had for our 20' Misty Harbor. Did a few 60 mile round trip tows down 2 lane black top roads without issue. They'll load a lot easier than the ones that sit on bunks, especially if you don't have the water depth at the launch. The 'toon will also sit lower when on the trailer so it will be easier to get in and out of. Less wind drag too, which your minivan will definitely feel when towing. Plus with a scissors trailer you can unload it anywhere. My neighbor that bought ours set it on a 4 dollies on his garage floor this winter so he could easily push it around to store.

oldjeep

Admiral
Looks at least as wide as the axles on our scissor trailer. As for the fenders, never seen a trailer with inboard axles that had them.

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
You don't say how far you trailer or how often but from what I see I would go with the more expensive one. It appears to be a much better built/quality trailer. If you only tow a very short distance or just tow a couple times a season, you might justify the cheaper one. I just don't like the short axles for long distance high speed towings.

mattb100

Cadet
From what I remember, the toon trailers used to be designed like that. Small wheels inboard of the toons. I am in the market for a toon and noticed the new trailers are built like v hull trailers.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
From what I remember, the toon trailers used to be designed like that. Small wheels inboard of the toons. I am in the market for a toon and noticed the new trailers are built like v hull trailers.

They still make the narrow tires, they are usually called yard trailers or scissor trailers. For short tows, they can't be beat. A scissor trailer can pick a pontoon up off the ground, and is very easy to load/unload.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The main reason people liked those types of trailers was for short hauls and it's easy to put the boat up on blocks and pull the trailer out from under them. Boat yards like them for that reason alone. I would never buy that type for anything but short trips.

Last edited: