Tow Bar Length

johnny striper

Seaman Apprentice
Hi all....I just bought a new vehicle and installed a new class lll trailer hitch. My old tow bar which is 7" long doesn't leave much room (like 2") between the bumper of my SUV and the trailer tongue. Would using a 5" longer tow bar create any major changes in the trailering dynamics? Thanks in advance for any replies and suggestions.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
If your trailer installs over the hitch ball now, then there is no issue. However, if you are just wanting the trailer to be further back, then use a longer hitch ball setup for the received section. It won't make any different with pulling. JMHO!

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
What vehicle and what hitch did you install? Usually the hitch is roughly below the back edge of the bumper.

johnny striper

Seaman Apprentice
2016 Hyundai Santa Fe SE / Curt Class lll, which when installed is recessed a few inches inside the bumper fascia. With my 7" ball mount it barely extends past my bumper. It is usable but mighty close.

GA_Boater

Look for a longer ball mount. I saw some that were 10.5" long.

Worse case is to find a 8-12" hitch extendee,

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
To actually answer your question yes it will change things...

MIGHT not be a problem but we can't know without more info...

By doubling the length of the ball mount you double the torque applied to the hitch and it's mounting points on the vehicle...

IF your tongue weight were at or near the max the hitch could handle then doubling could be VERY bad... On the other hand if you had 500 lbs and were rated for 3500 (weight CARRYING) then I would say it would be absolutely fine...

In the truest sense yes it would also effect the dynamics of the vehicle handling having essentially more overhang but it would be such a small difference it's not worth worrying about.... Would require a computer to measure the difference.

johnny striper

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks everyone for the great input, much appreciated. Just for the record, my vehicle is rated for 5000 lbs max towing, the trailer hitch is rated for 6000 lbs with 600 lb TW. My 16.5' boat, motor, trailer, all gear and a full tank of gas weighs in right around 2500 lbs with 200 lb (8%) TW. I do have enough room to move my boat an inch or two forward or back if I need to adjust the TW. I'm thinking I should be OK, as is, but not 100% sure how the math works, or if it's even an issue, when changing the leverage point by 3" - 5". Thanks again.

NYBo

Admiral
Moving the pivot point back will make the trailer more sensitive to steering input in the tow vehicle, but not likely enough to make a significant difference.

GA_Boater

Moving the pivot point back will make the trailer more sensitive to steering input in the tow vehicle, but not likely enough to make a significant difference.

Absolutely! I use a 12" extension when towing my 1000# rig and it can be twitchy.

thumpar

Admiral
With the weight you are talking about I think you will be fine. You will just need to get used to reversing changes with a longer stinger.

NYBo

Admiral
Absolutely! I use a 12" extension when towing my 1000# rig and it can be twitchy.

Twelve inches is a big difference in length; I was under the impression the OP was looking for 2 or 3 inches additional length.

GA_Boater

Twelve inches is a big difference in length; I was under the impression the OP was looking for 2 or 3 inches additional length.

Just relaying info, The OP is looking for a longer ball mount.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
During my life time I've pulled with receiver hitches, bumper hitches, draw bars and 5th wheels. Have pulled from small lawn wagons to very large and heavy farm implements to very large livestock trailers and can't remember length ever being an issue. With ball hitches ball height comes into play.

NYBo

Admiral
Distance from the ball to the rear axle of the tow vehicle makes a big difference.

thumpar

Admiral
Distance from the ball to the rear axle of the tow vehicle makes a big difference.
I used to tow with a Suburban and now tow with a Yukon. They are the same vehicle other than the length in the back. It does make a big difference. The Yukon is much easier.

johnny striper

Seaman Apprentice
UPDATE...found a 2" longer ball mount with the correct rise and when locked into the receiver extends about 3.5" past my bumper. Looks good and I am now able to access the rear hatch of my SUV without a struggle. I also feel confident I won't be banging my vehicle's bumper with the boat trailer tongue when hooking up. Have not towed with it yet...I'm in south central PA and finally dug out from 34" of snow. Can't wait till St Patty's Day as that is when I traditionally make my first trip of the year to the upper Chesapeake Bay in search of large C & R pre-spawn stripers. Thanks again & tight lines to all.