Need a New trailer for a 23ft 1967 Chris Craft Lancer. Where to start?

Chadsci

Seaman Apprentice
Chad - Why not call some of the trailer places or boat dealers that sell trailers and drag her over so they can see what you need. They can sell and set up a new trailer to match the boat.

You won't even get your hands dirty. :joyous:

Thats what I was thinking. I think I will call the local places for Shorlander and see what they think.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Great plan, good luck.

I found a decent, low cost trailer place, closer then I expected, in a city I never would have checked, so do an internet search too. It was for a 15ft boat, so not nearly the trailer you'll need....

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The O/P and I had a pleasant discussion via pm and he explained that the boat hits the tow vehicle now when turning sharp...

Soooo that is not so easily remedied w the current trailer as the previously mentioned issues...

I would still like to discuss those previous issues w him as learning from that will help him have success using his next trailer and thus keep the wifey happier.... If this is still a problem for the mod team we can keep it in pm form though I think it would be better here.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
The O/P and I had a pleasant discussion via pm and he explained that the boat hits the tow vehicle now when turning sharp...

Soooo that is not so easily remedied w the current trailer as the previously mentioned issues...

I would still like to discuss those previous issues w him as learning from that will help him have success using his next trailer and thus keep the wifey happier.... If this is still a problem for the mod team we can keep it in pm form though I think it would be better here.

Sounds like the trailer is too short. Where have I heard that?

Apology accepted Kevin, Thanks

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You say you have to manually push the stern of the boat around.
As I mentioned early on, that tells me that you may be backing very deep into the water... It is a common error to back in so far that the boat floats over the bunks instead of settling in to them... Very often, a bunk trailer, when at the correct depth requires the boat to be winched the last few feet. If it drifts right up to the winch stand, you're in too deep... Another indicator of being in too deep is the stern floating up off of the trailer....

Also an even more common mistake when loading a boat is to sight from the helm, over the tip of the bow to the center of the tow vehicle. With the helm on the right side of the boat this will bring the boat in crooked every time... If you move your body to the center of the boat when lining up with the trailer OR sight off a spot on the bow ahead of the helm such as a cleat or part of a bow rail and line up with the right tail light you end up with a much better approach vector.

If after working on these you still have trouble you can affix tall guides to the back of the trailer.... There are multiple styles available but I prefer bunks, just below the rub rail and 3-4' long.... With them it becomes almost impossible to load the boat any way except perfect..

Last edited by a moderator:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The man needs/wants a new trailer. It is obvious the trailer is not working for him. How about using our energy by helping him find a trailer that will work properly rather than trying to jury rig an unsuitable trailer, which was done during most of this thread.... Fixing his current trailer is not good advice.....

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I would never suggest anyone rig anything unsuitable....
I verified that the trailer actually WAS unsuitable and am trying to help the man be successful with his NEW trailer.

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Lets put this thread to bed until Chad gets another trailer or comes to a decision about how to proceed with this trailer.

From this point going forward only Chad can continue the thread and the next post will be from Chad and only Chad.

Thanks.