Need a New trailer for a 23ft 1967 Chris Craft Lancer. Where to start?

Chadsci

Seaman Apprentice
Hello all I need to replace my trailer. I've tried everything to make it work and it now tows straight and brakes well. The tires are all new and the shocks are new too.

Its just so difficult to pull out of the water. It makes it impossible to take out of the water without getting wet. I'm literally pushing the boat's butt onto the trailer to align it at times.

So the wife has agreed that a new trailer is needed so we can use the boat more(that is the goal right). My questions are as follows.

How does someone get a new trailer for a old boat like this?

Do the trailer companies have guides or templates or will I have to bring the boat some where?

Im really hoping to get a jump on this trailer build before the spring hits so thanks for any help you may have.

Chad

Attachments

• photo236835.jpg
    photo236835.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 0

jbcurt00

Staff member
W the lengrh of the boat and its weight, buy a new trailer long enough w enough capacity to carry the boat.

Then fit the bunks/rollers to your boat.

Google

Lmgtfy New boat trailer

And sort to find one close to you

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Sure you don't just need to adjust the trailer?

Maybe some side guide boards at the back.

Maybe back the truck up another foot...

Are the bunk board hangers adjustable? if so, maybe you can lower the bunks a couple of inches.

A new trailer will be a bit expensive. Some minor adjustments could be virtually free.

Any decent boat or trailer dealer can get you a new trailer...
They'll want the boat on the old trailer so they can measure and adjust the bunk boards.

Last edited:

Chadsci

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

I should have said that I have adjusted this trailer many times. I moved the guides to the farthest point out they can go. The problem is the trailer has the boat so high off the ground and the trailer width is way to narrow. the tires sit about one foot in from the sides.

In this picture you can see how wide a standard trailer is. The tires on my trailer are under the boat vs this Lancer with the wheels outside the boat.

Also Ive never ordered a trailer before so I was just hoping to get a idea of what to expect and what questions to ask.

Attachments

• photo236840.jpg
    photo236840.jpg
    12.8 KB · Views: 1

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You don't need a new trailer, you need to learn how to use the one you have.... You MAY need to add rollers or slicks and you may need guide ons....

Having to (or even being able to) push the boat sideways means you are backing too far into the water.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Kevin take a look at the 1st pix he posted, trailer is WAY too short and too narrow.

Probably does have to back in deep, really deep, to load it being so high off the ground.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I did look... That boat is no higher from the ground than my 26'er and the whole hull is supported...

It has those low profile wide pontoon type tires under it....

It's fine.

racerone

Supreme Mariner
My neighbour picked up the exact same boat.---No trailer.---One day I was at the launch ramp and saw an ideal trailer.---Called neighbor and said " bring your note pad and measuring tape "---Then spent many hrs welding a trailer together.-------That boat was built by another company for the CHRIS CRAFT folks.--Built by THOMPSON if memory is correct.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Are the rollers within a couple inches from the stern? To me it looks too narrow. Not saying it wouldn't work. The second pic looks like a better setup.

Here's my 24' that I used to have....

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
No Title

Here is a trailer that is carrying a 21 foot Cuddy cabin at about 3500 pounds all up weight. This trailer was originally under another boat and no matter what I did it would NEVER load incorrectly. However, with this hull it ALWAYS loads incorrectly With much fiddling and adding a side guide set of rollers in addition to not backing into the water too far it now loads acceptably---not perfect but acceptably. My conclusion is that some trailers are simply no good paired with some hulls.

If you look closely at both photos you can just about see the side guiding rollers at the trailer tail light.

That said, look at your trailer. Even though it is tandem axle, it looks wimpy and too short for a hull your size and weighing that much. Side rails only seem to be 4 inch, not 6 like my trailer. And I freely admit my trailer is too short. A longer tongue is in the works.

As stated above look for a longer and higher weight capacity trailer.

Attachments

• photo236844.jpg
    photo236844.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo236845.jpg
    photo236845.jpg
    117.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer
It's probably worked fine for 40+ years, I would try everything to adjust it to fit before paying up for a new one.
I agree with Frank Acampora, having had atleast 7+ boats now, they all load "different" and my current setup NEVER loads straight! I have adjusted everything to the optimum position but it's just a bad combo of a roller trailer with not enough rollers and a very deep V hull. If we start traveling more I'm buying a new trailer.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Somebody else, please look at Chads originally posted pix in his 1st post.

Loading difficulty aside, the current trailer is too short, appears too narrow and Chad has repeatedly said he's adjusted it numerous times trying to make it fit the boat better w out success.

Call around, knowing the boats all in wet weight, hull type and length. If the trailer seller isnt helpful trying to determine what trailer best fits your needs, call another one.

If you are concerned about what any of them tell you, cross check their info w the next sellers or post it here.

We got no problem giving our opinions about pretty much everything. Sometimes even stuff you didnt ask about ;)

Good luck trailer shopping

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
He hasn't posted any pic yet that tells us if the length is good... Can't judge the front from a 1/4 rear shot....

The transom is supported... If he can hitch up and tow it the front is at least ok...

Just because he has tried to adjust it doesn't guarantee that be isn't missing the problem....

O/P I still don't feel that you NEED a new trailer.... If you would like to work on solving your issues with your current trailer before giving up on it we'll be glad to help..... If you prefer not then just say so and we can limit the discussion to trailer shopping.

jbcurt00

Staff member
IMO he did that in the title, initial post and 2nd post.

Twice should be enough, a 3rd definitive

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
You know as well as I do that MANY times folks post here asking a specific question only to learn that they have asked the wrong question and find a great solution they never expected.... My opinion doesn't match yours and that is the reason for my last post... In his first post he stated what he felt he needed and in the second he added what he had done.... He also made a few statements I believe to be mistaken so I gave him information that may be of use to him.
There is no need for you and I to continue debating his trailer... If he says he doesn't want to work on his existing trailer after considering the information several of us have posted I think we can all happily bow out... I have no agenda other than to help him...

Chadsci

Seaman Apprentice
I appreciate all the ideas with the trailer. I could only find these other pictures of the trailer. It is hard to see maybe but the trailer wheels are inboard of the boat by 4-5inches per side.

Having never purchased a new trailer I was looking for Ideas or "been there done that" type info for those who may have had a trailer built for them.

Ive thought about trying to find another used trailer but I really do not want to rebuild another one. The trailer I have now I have replaced the entire brake system, Shocks, tires, Master cylinder hitch mount. Ive added bunks and replace and moved the forward stop at the front of the boat.

Trailer by Chadsci, on Flickr

Another pic from the side.

Trailer and Dajiban by Chadsci, on Flickr

Thanks for your help.
Chad

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Well the tires being a few inches inboard is absolutely a non issue....

My 28'er is 11' wide and the trailer is 8' wide... That's 18" of boat outside the tires on each side.... Perfectly normal.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Unless Chads boat is exceptionally wide, 8.5' plus, having the boat hanging that far outside the fenders would not be the norm for that length. The norm would be his 2nd pic and the pic of my 24' setup...... Can't compare a 28' to a 23'......

Last edited:

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Chad - Why not call some of the trailer places or boat dealers that sell trailers and drag her over so they can see what you need. They can sell and set up a new trailer to match the boat.

You won't even get your hands dirty. :joyous:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Bump. To the OP, this thread isn't shutdown by any means. Just some of the comments were.... Don't hesitate to ask more questions..... :)