Trailer Wheel Coming off

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
As for taking it to a pro for hopeful repair, 2 hours labor plus a hub and bearings will exceed the cost of a complete new axle.

The difference is experience and confidence. If the OP had been packing bearing and pounding out races, then try doing it. I don't get the warm fuzzies. My apologies, Steel.

It isn't a hard job to put on new, loaded hubs. The problem is knowing if the spindle is damaged. Swapping in a new axle, with new U-bolts, isn't hard either if it comes to that.

Do you have any buddies with experience doing this kind of thing and can help out? That's one way to gain the knowledge.

alldodge

Staff member
Don't agree but, hey what else is new. Don't see a hub splitting from a chip on the edge, just way to much cast iron there. Some voice opinions others voice expert in person witness. Figure it's just the gospel according to another water dunking thing, all hale Allah peanut butter sandwich

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
GA.. We're on the same page... I don't suggest that he work through repairing that axle himself vs professional... I'm saying that IMHO the only option without either an unacceptable level of risk or excessive cost is a DIY swap of the whole axle.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Don't agree but, hey what else is new. Don't see a hub splitting from a chip on the edge, just way to much cast iron there. Some voice opinions others voice expert in person witness. Figure it's just the gospel according to another water dunking thing, all hale Allah peanut butter sandwich
Sounds kinda silly to me. Just the kind of opinion that can get people hurt.

If the axle is good and he gets a new one, all is good and he wasted a coupleabucks. Repair parts vs. new axle is little difference anyway.

If the axle is bad and he repairs it and it fails, not good.

In Engineering school if you didn't answer the question on the exam you got zero credit. If you answered it right you got 20 points. If you answred it wrong (meaning the bridge might fail), you got MINUS 20 points. Like they say better to err on the side of caution.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
I replaced the Hub and replaced the bearings on the other side. Obviously the hub on the other side was fine. Followed some YouTube instructions which was straight forward.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Cool. Now take it for a 30 or so mile drive and check for wheel wobble.

alldodge

Staff member
Sounds kinda silly to me. Just the kind of opinion that can get people hurt.

If the axle is good and he gets a new one, all is good and he wasted a coupleabucks. Repair parts vs. new axle is little difference anyway.

If the axle is bad and he repairs it and it fails, not good.

In Engineering school if you didn't answer the question on the exam you got zero credit. If you answered it right you got 20 points. If you answred it wrong (meaning the bridge might fail), you got MINUS 20 points. Like they say better to err on the side of caution.

That's why everyone has one

Last edited:

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Themanofsteel, did you ever in your wildest dreams think that asking a merely simple question would get this much attention and arguments going? It is almost like asking about the best oil or fuels or even Polyester or Epoxy usage. :smile:

Don't let this thread keep you from asking other questions though. It usually isn't this controversial and opinionated. As you can see everybody has the best answer. :facepalm:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I replaced the Hub and replaced the bearings on the other side. Obviously the hub on the other side was fine. Followed some YouTube instructions which was straight forward.
When you replaced the bearings on the other side, you replaced the races too right?

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Themanofsteel, did you ever in your wildest dreams think that asking a merely simple question would get this much attention and arguments going? It is almost like asking about the best oil or fuels or even Polyester or Epoxy usage. :smile:

Don't let this thread keep you from asking other questions though. It usually isn't this controversial and opinionated. As you can see everybody has the best answer. :facepalm:
Agrred. Keep asking and learning.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
gm280 Nah, I know how forums can be. It's the small price to pay for people to freely extend their knowledge and experience. I'm more concerned it'll push people away from offering their help.

Last edited: