Trailer Wheel Coming off

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
My boat trailer wheel seems to be coming off. Just wondering if this is a difficult or expensive fix. The first image is the BAD wheel. The second is the GOOD wheel.
The Boat is a 1988 Byliner Capri w/85hp Force Outboard if it matters.

Attachments

• photo236828.png
    photo236828.png
    1.2 MB · Views: 0

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Wheel bearing fail...

Might be cheap. Just a few $ for a new wheel bearing. Jack it up. pop the cap, unbolt the hub (can leave it on the tire!) Pull the bad bearing and inspect the axle and hub bearing surfaces. If they aren't torn up then pack the new bearing in grease and reassemble.
Tighten the nut till the tire resists spinning. Loosen till it just spins freely. Put in the cotter key to lock the adjustment. Put the cap back on.

The problem is you let it get REALLY bad... and it may have damaged the hub and or axle... THAT can get expensive.
If the axle and/or hub are messed up take it in to a shop... with the boat parked on your lawn. You don't want the thing causing you to dump the boat on the road.

Regardless... DO BOTH SIDES. One failing means the other needs changing.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Holly crud Bat Man, you have not been doing your maintenance. The left pic needs bearings as fhhuber mentioned, seal and maybe a spindle. Going to need to remove and have a look. If the spindle is beyond repair, either need to cut it off and weld a new one, or replace the axle. The right pic needs a seal but need to remove to inspect what else it needs.
fetch

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
It isn't coming off. It came off! What is wrapped around the axle? Hope the spindle is salvageable.

The other side is ready to go too, the seal is shot. Absolutely do both sides.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
For the money, my vote is just order a new axle and bolt it on.... New everything soooo easy.

Probably get the whole thing for $130. Super easy to bolt on and go.

Last edited:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Holy crap. I hope that rig doesn't get driven on the highway....at least not one I'm driving on.

Cheap isnt the way to go - that's probably how it got in the dangerous condition its in now.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Find a local trailer dealer that builds custom trailers. (they are all over the place... 6 within 15 miles of my house) They might have the axle in stock.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Cheap isnt the way to go - that's probably how it got in the dangerous condition its in now.

It got dangerous from decades of use without proper maintenance...
Nothing in the world wrong with cheap as long as it's done right....

A complete new axle assembly for $130 would be better (and maybe even safer) than $50 in parts and $250 in labor (guess) to repair an old worn neglected axle

64osby

Admiral
You don't list where you live.

Like Smoke said find a local custom trailer or full service trailer dealer.

I live close to Elkhart IN, RV capitol of the world. Tons of companies offering axles and more.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Okay, I can't believe you haven't noticed this before now. I mean it just didn't happen. That was going on for a while. If you are not going to service the trailer bearings on a regular schedule, take it to somebody that knows how. Neglect will get you one day. Either replace the parts IF the spindle is still good, and do both sides. If the spindle it gone, just replace the entire axle. OR better yea, have somebody else replace the axle. JMHO!

Maclin

Admiral
Point of "Order"...The Wheel is bolted to the Thing (hub) that is coming off...

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
I would not move that trailer a foot without repairing or replacing that axle. Your wheel looks like it is about ready to fall off.

Stumpalump

Chief Petty Officer
For all we know that thing got stuck in his back yard and by the time he was in the driveway it fell apart. If that's the case and he did not drive on it he might just need bearings races and seal. I give the old boat trailer a once over almost every time it's on the ramp parking lot without the boat on it. Found a tiny crack and loose bunks this year so I bit the bullet and restored the whole dang thing because it's nice knowing your load and possibly life are in good hands. Lights, spring mounts, ubolts, tires, wires, hitch, bunks, rollers, tounge jack, spare tire, safety chains, transom straps, bow hook safety chain, winch strap, hubs, lug nuts, bearings ,seals and races, grease, bearing buddies.....It's so easy to forget how complex a simple boat trailer really is.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
It got dangerous from decades of use without proper maintenance...
Nothing in the world wrong with cheap as long as it's done right....

A complete new axle assembly for $130 would be better (and maybe even safer) than $50 in parts and $250 in labor (guess) to repair an old worn neglected axle
I was thinking of an acquaintenance who never checks anything, never does PMs and then after finding a problem continues to run it until it won't run any longer. He doesn't know how to fix anything and is too cheap to hire someone to do it for him.

I can cite several local boat "mechanics" who offer cheap prices, but then don't do it right. Cheap and right are all too often an oxymoron.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Remember the old salt who offered three options to his work: Cheap, Fast, or Good. You can choose any two.

Themanofsteel

Petty Officer 1st Class
Got it everyone. Thanks. And FYI. I bought this boat less than a year ago. It's my first boat and so I just didn't think to look at the tires on the trailer. Definitely something I'll keep an eye on going forward.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
Biggest thing is now you know about bearing.

Lots of other thing will go wrong, hopefully you will read about them here and learn the easy way.

Safe boating.