Bent Trailer Tongue Advice Needed

UBDisaster

Cadet
Greeting, I just purchased a used 1996 Duranautic 16SC on a 1996 shorelander trailer. When I got the boat home it looks like the trailer tongue is bent upwards. Looking for opinions and thoughts on what can be done. Thanks Trailer Tongue 2.jpeg Trailer Tongue 1.jpeg

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Welcome aboard. UBD.

Can you stand back some for a few more pics? Some times it helps to see the whole rig.

64osby

Admiral
Looks like an aluminum boat to me.

Weight shouldn't be an issue.

Perhaps the trailer was used for a different boat in the past. Pure speculation at this point.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
Hard to be certain what caused it... but that boat shouldn't be obnoxiously heavy.

(googled and found the old sales brochure for the boat)

You can get away with a lighter trailer (usually) with aluminum boats vs the same length fiberglass. Maybe he loaded the boat up with stuff for a move...

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Or let it fill w rain water....

IF the trailer is up to the task of hauling the boat I'd say ignore the bend, adjust the roller and go boating.

Fed

Commander
Wondering if it could be bent from a tie down at the front, hull looks a little hooked in the picture.
Wouldn't be the first boat I've seen damaged by tightening a ratchet strap.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Regardless what started the bend, if it isn't repaired, I can see it bending further. Once you get that bend started in box material, it only gets worst. Obvious bouncing trailering it to the water will certainly cause further bending over time. Just the nature of the beast. JMHO!

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Eh if it was kinked I'd agree but a slight bend... Nah strength difference from straight should be negligible.

fhhuber

Lieutenant
There is a possibility to consider:

Is it a symptom of internal rust weakening the metal?

Probably not too expensive to have a good weld shop cut out and replace the bent piece.
At least have them look and see what they say. Its worth an inspection fee to check it out.

64osby

Admiral
A frame shop or creative shadetree guy could pull the bend out.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Well, according to NADA guides, Duranautic stopped making boats in 1990.
So I suspect the boat and trailer are not 1996 models.
Looks like the 198x version of the boat was about 410#, plus motor and gear.

Is the tongue welded on, or bolted?

If bolted, consider removing it and turning it over so the bend is reversed, then use it but keep and eye on it.

Or replace the tongue.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I'm inclined to think the boat was left outside, uncovered with the coupler on the ground and the boat filled with water then the roller collapsed and created a bend point.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
No one has stated that from the angle of the photos it appears that the keel is bent at the roller too. That reinforces the theory that the boat was left to fill with water.

It also appears that the tongue is bolted to the side frames BUT judging from the bolt flange It appears that the trailer is light duty. IDK: A couple of photos more might help but from what I see straightening the tongue and some welded on reinforcement plates may be the answer.