Where do you find VIN on 13'6" Continental Trailer

paulcm2

Recruit
I have a 13"6" ContinentaL trailer. The State of Florida wants the VIN before I can register it. It is an older model and has not been registered in years, and I have looked everywhere for it and can't find it. any help would be appreciated. Thanks paulcm2.

NYBo

Admiral
Welcome to iboats!:welcome:

Unfortunately, the VIN on many trailers is put on a sticker that either fades away or comes off entirely. Allegedly, some manufacturers put a second sticker inside one of the beams near the back. Do you have paperwork from the previous owner? The VIN should be on a bill of sale.

paulcm2

Recruit
Hi Bob, unfortunately the fellow I bought this from did not have any paperwork on the trailer, he said that when he got it all he got was a bill of sale and that was what I got from him.

tpenfield

Staff member
Supposedly, trailer manufacturers stamp the VIN in a second location, usually out of plain sight. So, I would look on the underside of the frame near the rear of the trailer and elsewhere to see if there is anything that looks like a VIN.

Not sure how FL tracks trailers, but you should probably check that out before you head into the DMV.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Depending which area in FL you are, you may have a difficult time. Check with your local tax collectors office. If your in Bradenton or Sarasota, head to Sarasota as they are less likely to follow the rules. You will need a certified empty weight of the trailer either from the manufacturer or from a certified scale