Tire substitution

sjoefl01

Seaman
I bought a little 15 ft Jason bass boat with a 90 HP ETEC. The trailer has some really nice aluminum rims that currently have 175 70R13 radials. I noticed today that one of them has a gash in the side so it's time for some new ties. I think these are plain old radials like for a car. I have been reading and it seems unanimous that I ought to get trailer tires. I would like to buy tires that will fit my rims. Does anybody know the substitution that is the same size?

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Tire and wheel sizes have been standardized for some time now: Any 13 inch tire will fit any thirteen inch wheel--within reason. The 1-70 R 13 you can replace with 175, 75 or 80. You can probably even go up to 185-70 tires and still be 75 is width across the widest part of the tire when inflated, in millimeters. The 75 or 80 is called the aspect ratio and is the relationship of the tire height to the maximum width. Thus, an 80 aspect ratio tire will be greater in diameter than a 75 aspect tire. Too great an aspect ratio and the tire might not fit under the fenders.

Since very low aspect ratio tires are designed for larger width wheels, going to a 40 or 50 aspect ratio would crimp the beads together on a standard with wheel making it impossible for the tread to lay flat when properly inflated. SO: Since your trailer came with 175 70 R13 you can replace with 175, 70 or 75 R 13 and possibly 175 80 R13. You could also probably step up to 185 70 R13 and still be OK.

But really, 15 foot boats are carried on 8 and 12 inch wheels so there is no need for larger tires on your trailer. You already have plenty of load capacity.

sjoefl01

Seaman
Thanks. I had read a little about trailer tires having beefier sidewalls so they don't sway as much as car tires. It made sense to me so I really wanted to get a trailer tire.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Op, you are absolutely right, an st tire IS better for trailer use than a passenger car tire.

Light 15' boat with 9.9 hp on 8" or 12" tire sure.... 15' with a 90 hp... You're in the right place with 13" tires...

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Thanks. I had read a little about trailer tires having beefier sidewalls so they don't sway as much as car tires. It made sense to me so I really wanted to get a trailer tire.
Yes ST tires are so much better than any other. They last no more than 3 years, and even then don't drive over 65 MPH or you'll have a blowout.

For a light rig like yours with the oversize tires anyway, find LT tires that have the capacity and you'll be much better off.

I realize there is much controversy over this issue. Go on a few RV trailer sites and see what the general consensus is there....LOL

One of the issues is that most ST tires are chinacrap. At least USA tires are available in all other types.

My personal trailer is a tandem where a single axle would only be needed. Thus the weight requirement of each tire is relatively low. It came from the factory with 13" P tires and I've run P tires ever since.

rallyart

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Passenger car tires have to be tested to higher standards than trailer tires. That does not make them worse. They are, however constructed to offer a good ride so there is a more compliance in the sidewall. That does not mean they have to have more sway on something you tow, but it can be that way. The weight rating on the tire is critical regardless of the tire you choose. Make sure it exceeds the weight of your rig with some margin for an uneven load.

Tire life is an interesting dilemma. If you don't use your tires the volatiles in the rubber on the outside evaporate and the exterior ages quickly. If you use them all the time they wear out. However, when you use them the rubber working evens out the volatile components in the rubber and the exterior ages less. Putting miles on your tires more regularly can improve there life.

Frank's description is good. Finding a similar overall diameter will have the trailer sit as it does now. A 165/80R-13 is slightly taller than a 175/70R-13. A 175/80 is taller yet. You can measure how much clearance you have for width and for height. Check how the trailer sits and if you want more or less clearance. Make sure the weight capacity is good. Pay the price you feel comfortable with..

There is nothing inherently wrong with ST tires. I have them on my tandem axle boat trailer. It's just not essential to have ST ratings, in my opinion.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Only problem with using passenger tires in some applications is you need to derate them 10% and by the time you do that, it is very hard to get a tire in the correct diameter to meet the load rating of the trailer. I know that was the issue with my old trailer where I was close to the max with my 14" tires.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
no more than 3 years huh? never over 65 huh? no good on rv's huh?

After having two lt tires blow out (most likely just due to age) I put all new interco ST tires on my old 38' fifth wheel rv in march 2007 and towed it, generally at 78 mph, 1000 miles one way many times between Indiana and Texas... never had any issues whatsoever... when I got my current 38' fifth wheel I sold the old one to my dad and he is still using it and has had no issues whatsoever..... we're within a couple months of starting year 10 now...

I have ST tires on 3 jetski trailers, 3 boat trailers from 22-30' long, and a 35' gooseneck flatbed.... Many of those tires are 10 plus years old...

99 times out of 100 blowouts are caused by low tire pressure or striking something in the road... neither are the fault of ST tires.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Yes ST tires are so much better than any other. They last no more than 3 years, and even then don't drive over 65 MPH or you'll have a blowout.

Not sure I agree with that either. My current tires are 9 years old. I'm going on 54 and have been towing boats and other trailers since I was 16. Never had a blowout or flat. Even ran weather checked tires, which I know wasn't too smart. Not sure where you are getting your info...... Not saying you can't get flats or blowouts, just not the norm w/o the tire being compromised first.........

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Not sure I agree with that either. My current tires are 9 years old. I'm going on 54 and have been towing boats and other trailers since I was 16. Never had a blowout or flat. Even ran weather checked tires, which I know wasn't too smart. Not sure where you are getting your info...... Not saying you can't get flats or blowouts, just not the norm w/o the tire being compromised first.........
I wouldn't have agreed with it either until recent experience with the STs. I never had STs and never had a problem either.

The 3 / 65 are suggestions / requirements by the tire manufacturers themselves. I thought that was common knowledge on this site where it has been discussed adnauseum.

I'm going on 67 and have been towing for 51 years.

My previous comment about RVs was not from MY experience. As I said then, look up the RV forums and see what they have to say.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Sure the tire manufacturer says not to exceed 65 but then most of the roads in the country have signs saying not to exceed 65 or often less.... Doesn't mean the car or tire explodes instantly when that speed is exceeded.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
I use P rated tires on trailers towing 16 - 18' tin boats, nice smooth ride ZERO problems and why would they sway? Cars, SUVs and vans don't sway all over. Why not use P rated tires on light boats, I put them on my Suburban and Tahoe as per the door placard and your little boat doesn't have a 5.3L V8, tranny, front differential, cooling system or steel body not too mention towing the boat and trailer behind it..

Your little boat it not heavy enough to need 10 ply load rated tires and they will beat the snot out of the boat along with everything inside it. The load rating on P rated tires will far exceed your boat and trailers weight.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I have pulled my Crownline at 80 on my trailer with st tires. I keep them properly inflated and watch for condition. I think it's important to recognize different tires are designed for different things. I personally don't mix them.