Got a new tow rig

Well after 10 years and 190k on the clock of our 2003 Ford Expedition we put it to pasture and bought a really nice 2011 GMC Yukon Denali. Not the stretched version.
Question-has anyone towed a boat with these. How do they do. I'm not crazy about the short wheel base. My boat fully loaded with the trailer is about 4200lbs.

alldodge

Staff member
Tow capacity list as 8100 to 8300 if properly equipped. Have towed with similar but not that exact year/model, but you 4200 pounder should be no issue, might take the corners a bit wider until you get to know it.

Ya bought a new tow vehicle and now your asking how do they do?

bajaunderground

Lieutenant
We have the Yukon Hybrid (tow rating limited to 6,000#, due to hybrid drivetrain). Tows both out camper (dual axle, 5,800#) and our Chris Craft (Single axle, ~3,400#). It more or less has the same chassis as your Denali and given the specs...I'd say you'll be way okay!

We bought our Cobalt based on her tow rating. As it sits with minimal gear and 3/4 tank of fuel we are at 5,380# (Boat 4,150#, Trailer 950#, misc. 280#).

tpenfield

Staff member
Both the Expy and the Yukon were/are much more than enough to tow the 4,200 lbs of boat/trailer. So, I think you should be fine.

Any reason you did not go for another Expedition?

Actually the Ford Explorer or the GMC Acadia could tow that load as well (5,000 lbs), not sure what the price difference would be between those and the big SUV's

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
Out '07 Chevy 'Hoe handles my 250 Sundancer really well. Not with the confidence of my Sierra HD, but no white knuckle job either . I love the short wheel base, turn on a dime, for towing. Anything under 2 1/2 ton it should handle with ease.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Your Denali will do better than a regular Yukon because of autoride. That electronic suspension is fantastic. An xl Denali was my first choice, but I couldn't get one old enough and still having low enough miles. The only difference between the Denali and an escslade are a few things on the interior (different console). You should be happy with this truck and don't you have a 6.2? More power and better mpg than the 6.0 in my '03.

Pics?