surge brake problems

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
I installed a Titan disc surge brake kit a few months ago on my double axle trailer. Bled the brakes and they worked well. Parked the trailer for a few months until I got a motor for the boat. Got the motor on and when I drove to the gas station to get some fuel I could tell the brakes weren't working. I was going to try bleeding them again because I thought maybe I didn't get all the air out of the lines but I can't get the master pushed back. I had no problem last time pushing against the coupler with a piece of wood to pump the brakes but now it goes back maybe 1/8" and no more. Almost broke the piece of wood I was using. Any idea what happened? Master cylinder froze up?

alldodge

Staff member
When you opened the bleeder did any fluid come out?

In most cases I would remove the receiver from the truck and hook the ball into the hitch, makes it easy to push down/in

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
A very small amount of brake fluid came out. Master cylinder was still full. I had no problem last time but now the master cylinder won't push in

alldodge

Staff member
A very small amount of brake fluid came out. Master cylinder was still full. I had no problem last time but now the master cylinder won't push in

You have a restriction somewhere. Was a back feed or block off solenoid installed after the master cylinder?

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Make sure the reverse solenoid is not getting power

alldodge

Staff member
Could pull the reverse solenoid and see if you can blow air thru it.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thanks I'll pull the solenoid and check it out. I'm sure it's not getting power because I didn't have it connected.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Can't blow through the solenoid. Hooked brake line up straight to master cylinder and could move it properly. Can I blow out the solenoid with compressed air or should I just get another solenoid?

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Can you bypass it and try your brakes? Of course you will have to bleed but you are at that point right now anyway unless you just want to throw a new one on. For the short term, it will only matter when you backup on a hill.

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Can't blow through the solenoid. Hooked brake line up straight to master cylinder and could move it properly. Can I blow out the solenoid with compressed air or should I just get another solenoid?

I would get another solenoid, it should be full open without power applied "If you have the ones which block the flow". They make two types of solenoids, ones which block all fluid passage when power is applied, and ones which divert flow back to the master cylinder. My guess is you have the block type, and if this is the case just replace it.

Once which block flow have one input and one output. Ones which divert have an additional line which goes back to the master cylinder

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Yes mine is the type that blocks it. I called the place I got the brakes from and explained to them what I'd done and they are sending me another solenoid. Hopefully this one will last longer than a few months. If the solenoid isn't hooked up I can't really back up at all with the disc brakes. They engage with very little effort.

alldodge

Staff member
Good to hear they are going to help. Agree trying to back up disc without a block off is just no good. If you have a lock out like on this attwood coupler you can get it to back up, by moving the lever down
Class-IV-Atwood-2-Surge-Brake-Coupler-Head-Zinc-8k-21-200-8K-1Z.jpg

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
Unfortunately the coupler I have doesn't have a manual lock. Hopefully this solenoid lasts longer or I might come up with a way to lock it manually lol