Surge brake help

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The problem comeswhen braking pressure exceeds contact pressure and the front wheel skids or hops. At that point, the braking efficiency for that axle is in the dumpster and the rear has to take up the entire load.
How many times have you stopped to have a trailer surge brake trailer skid? I can't even get my trailer wheels to skid and I have an electric over hydraulic disc brake system and I can control it manually.

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
My dual axle trailer has only brakes on the front axle. My trailer wheels skid while stopping for about the first block or two after retrieving my boat from the ramp until the tires dry off. I actually had wondered why until right now.

Lake time

Petty Officer 3rd Class
When coming to a stop in feel them working but after I get moving in can feel them still apply till I hit about 10 MPh and I checked to make sure the bearings where preloaded to specTighten the spindle nut finger tight (until snug) and then with channel-lock pliers or a crescent wrench, tighten the spindle nut another 1/4 turn or about 15 to 20 ft pounds of torque.

Now turn the hub ten revolutions. This will fully seat the races.
Now loosen the spindle nut very loose, then re-snug to finger tight, and engage the nut retaining device (some reverse lubricating spindles use a tab washer for the retaining device).

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
How many times have you stopped to have a trailer surge brake trailer skid? I can't even get my trailer wheels to skid and I have an electric over hydraulic disc brake system and I can control it manually.

Unfortunately, it's a pretty common occurrence.

I live on the north central edge of the Washington / Baltimore triangle. No way getting around taking Rt. 95 or the Washington Beltway to get to the Bay.

White knuckle driving at it's best. Seven lanes of traffic going anywhere from 50-80 MPH at any given time. Absolutely no respect for anyone pulling a trailer. Someone cutting you off then slamming on the brakes right in front of you is a given. High speed stop and go at it's best

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
For your problem, I second AllDodge. Check to make sure those free backing shoes are installed correctly.