Issue with registering trailer in spring?

NYBo

Admiral
in my state u only have to insure a boat that is over 16ft and u only have to register a boat that has a motor if u have a john boat with ors or a trolling min u don't need to be registered or titled. the trailor on the other hand does.

I'm in a similar boat atm I had a 17 ft boat given to me but my neighbor doesn't have the title to the trailer here in ny u can modify the trailer and register it as a home made trailer a lot of people do it given it doesn't have pre existing vin and is not stolen property
There are no insurance requirements for boats in NY, regardless of size. However, unless you don't about potentially losing everything you own in a lawsuit, liability is a good idea for any boat. And smokeonthewater is absolutely correct: if you use a trolling motor on any vessel in NY, regardless of size, it needs to be registered.

But this info is of no value to the OP. :redface:

hidef

Lieutenant
The boat trailer in Ontario needs to be registered. It can be registered as either a home built or the registration can be transferred if there is a VIN on the trailer. The boat has to be registered with Transport Canada the boat registration is free. Takes two or three weeks and is done through the mail. Boat insurance is not mandatory at least the OPP has never asked for it when doing safety checks however if you do not have an valid operators card you will be fined.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
The boat trailer in Ontario needs to be registered. It can be registered as either a home built or the registration can be transferred if there is a VIN on the trailer. The boat has to be registered with Transport Canada the boat registration is free. Takes two or three weeks and is done through the mail. Boat insurance is not mandatory at least the OPP has never asked for it when doing safety checks however if you do not have an valid operators card you will be fined.
Yes i know insurance is not needed but I rather have liability and not worry about getting sued if someone got seriously hurt.