Boat trailer to purchase...

NYBo

Admiral
There are fans of both here. Either will work fine for a boat of this size. Just make sure it is properly sized and set up, including tongue weight.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Whichever one you prefer IS the one that is 'better'
Neither is actually better than the other.

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
IMO at 14' there is no difference except which one you can get the cheapest

thumpar

Admiral
If you like the type you have now just get another of the same. I have had both types. The roller trailer was easier to get the boat on and off but the bunk trailer seems more stable with the boat on it. Get the type you like.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Are you looking for a brand new trailer or a new used one?

If you use very shallow ramps the roller works better or if looking for a used trailer and older bunk trailer that has a tilt bed also works very well for very shallow ramps. If all the ramps you use are deeper then it really doesn't matter.

I have a 14' Hi-Laker boat and need a trailer for it. I use it in both salt and fresh water. I'm wondering if a aluminum bunk trailer would be a better choice then a galvanized trailer with rollers? I've noticed that a lot of boat trailers have the bunk rather then the rollers

Last edited:

southkogs

Staff member
I'm wondering if a aluminum bunk trailer would be a better choice then a galvanized trailer with rollers? I've noticed that a lot of boat trailers have the bunk rather then the rollers
It's kinda' "6 of one, or a half-dozen of the other." As the gang is saying, in your size boat it's really all about preference.

There's an ongoing (and likely, everlasting) debate on one vs. the other. Aluminum trailers are generally lighter than a galvanized, which can be a benefit (though some would say when launching in rougher water they tend to float around on ya'). If you're in salt, I think Aluminum is the preferred for corrosion resistance. Typically, I think galvanized is cheaper if you're buying new ... but I'm not sure how true that's holding these days.

Bunks vs. roller are "fightin' words" as well. Both'll hold the boat just fine, but the question becomes how much easier ... harder ... too easy ... or too hard ... it is to get the boat on and off the trailer. A boat will slide down rollers real easy, but maybe too easy if the ramp you're on is too steep (as an example). Some will say bunks give better hull support ... and on the discussion would go.

For a 14' boat on the ramps I have around here: I'd be lookin' for a aluminum bunk trailer.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
If your going to use in both salt and freshwater, get a galvanized trailer. Rollers VS Bunks is just a matter of personal choice, I've had both, nothing wrong with a roller trailer.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I have had both roller and bunk and I by far prefer roller but I have a cousin who sold his really nice roller trailer to buy a bunk one because that is what he prefered. As for aluminum or galvanized I would say galvanized because at the ramps I am at there is a strong wind and current and often the lighter trailers will be pushed around.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Rollers have more parts to corrode in the salt.
Bunks are cheaper.

Aluminum may be hard to find in a trailer of that weight capacity.
Aluminum trailers don't necessarily weigh less than a steel trailer, as more aluminum is used.

Bottom line, aluminum trailers generally cost more.

Personally, I would go galvanized bunk, wide, with cradle type cross members so the boat fits down between the fenders.

oldboat1

Fleet Admiral
...guide-ons and well positioned keel rollers. Fresh water rinse after each use.