Used F-150

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Before I get into this, let it be perfectly clear that I am not attempting to bash the F-150 with what I'm about to say. I am simply raising an issue that many folks considering one of these trucks (especially from the used market) may not know about and which can be very costly. The issue is a fairly well known and documented problem with "cam phasers" which are devices on the camshafts that permit variable valve timing. As I have a family member who is a car dealer and spends a good amount of time at auctions, he has confirmed this is indeed a problem and an expensive one if you happen to end up with a truck with the issue. I made a trip with my neighbor in October to Kansas Speedway for the Sprint Cup races. I detected a knock in his impeccably cared for 2009 F-150 with 40,000 miles that turned out to be the dreaded cam phaser issue. Google the problem using Ford Cam Phaser Problems and there will be enough reading to make your eyes bleed. I have a nephew who recently bought a 2013 F-150 and I asked him if he was aware of the problem. His response was "oh yeah" -- that's why I bought a 5.0. The 5.4 is the problem. I don't have the model year span for the issue but I believe it runs from about 2008 to 2012. These are nice trucks -- just make sure you understand what you are looking at and by all means obtain maintenance records. I've heard one needs to lift the cab off the truck to replace an engine and should one or both of the cam phasers come apart, the failure can cost you an engine. On the other hand, if you are a good wrench and can make the repairs, make a rock bottom offer. You may end up with a very nice truck on the cheap. But then you may have the issue again down the road. There are several fixes but none of them appear to be cheap or easy.

robert graham

Admiral
Thanks for the info., as I have considered an F-150 as a possible purchase....also heard/read about certain 2 piece/broken spark plugs in the heads of Ford engines.....these items give serious food for thought....

Tnstratofam

Commander
As most people here have learned research of a product before purchase can be very beneficial. I own a 2001 F-150 and it has the 4.6 liter Triton V8. The 1997-2003 engines had spark plug problems related to minimal threading in the heads. This could allow the plugs to get loose and eventually blow out of the heads resulting in serious damage at times. There is a fix for said problem that involves a tool that re threads the head at about $200.00 per plug offered by most mechanics. Or you can purchase the repair kit yourself for about $250.00. The repair isn't too bad, but it is a pain to get to some of the rear plugs. Also the coil packs on these engines tend to fail in groups which can run around $80.00 a piece to replace. That can add up quickly. I think this is true of the 5.4 litter version of the Triton V8 of these years as well. It is true on the F-150's from 1997-present that the cab has to be lifted off the frame to replace the engine. That is a little crazy and can add some serious coin to what should be a simple engine swap.There may be another way to due an engine swap on these model trucks, but all the mechanics I've asked said the easiest way in the long run is to lift the body of the frame.

The 2004-2010 version of these engines have similar problems with the coil packs failing in groups, but I think they are a little less prone to having the spark plugs blow out. However they do have a weird two piece spark plug design that can be almost impossible not to break when trying to remove for replacement. The advantage of being able to run the newer spark plugs for more miles gets traded out by having them stuck and hard to remove when the times comes to replace them.

On a side note the E series vans that use the gas Triton engines have a slightly higher rate of coil pack failure due to moisture dropping down on the upper part of the engine during rain storms from the cowl drains becoming blocked or damaged. The water can puddle on the electrics under the hood and cause a coil pack to short out when you go to start one. My 2008 E-250 Service van as well as the two 1999 and the two 2010 model E-250 vans my former company owned were bad to go through coil packs. We averaged replacing all 8 per vehicle about every other year or so. These vans did get pretty heavy daily use, and some of the drivers were of the mind set of "Drive it Like You Stole it.":facepalm: Also we had one service van with a V10. What a piece of junk that was. I've been told to avoid the V10's if you can.

As for the 2011-present Triton V8's there is the two piece plug issue as well as the dreaded cam phaser problem. This is the reason I'm still driving an 01. When I have a problem with my truck I am fortunate to have a good friend who was a Ford mechanic for a local dealership that closed. He worked for them for 25 years, and when they closed he opened up his own garage. In the spring I had him repair a broken emissions exhaust line on my engine and I asked him straight up how much longer I should repair my truck versus replacing it. He looked my truck over and said he felt sure I had at lest another 100,000 miles left in her. She has 168,000 on her right now, and even though rust from road salt can be a problem for cars and trucks here in the mountains I do a "Thorough almost OCD" job of cleaning my under body after every winter weather event so she isn't rusted out. The other nice thing is she's paid for.

I asked him what he would buy if he were in the market for another truck and he said with the engine problems the newer Fords have, he had a hard time recommending them. He stated that Chevy and Dodge have their own problems that made them not too appealing either He stated the biggest issue with modern vehicles was the over abundance of computer controlled systems, and the cheap parts manufacturers have gone to to save in costs. I guess if you have a good vehicle that doesn't give you to much trouble your best bet is to maintain it as best you can, and do research on potential problems and their fixes prior to purchase.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
The cam phaser issue goes back to 2004 as well as the two piece spark plugs getting stuck. There are class action lawsuits for both of these.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I didn't realize the cam phaser issue went back that far. We didn't run across that with our work vans. They all have lots of miles on them. Although one of the 99's was on it's 3rd engine. The engines in it through rods both times due to lack of oil changes and or oil in general. We were responsible for maintaining the oil changes in our own vehicles as well as getting them serviced. This was something some of our former employees as well as one company owner failed to due. Our mechanic was always critical of how the company took care of it's vehicle fleet. My 2008 and the newer vans hadn't had problems other than coil pack failures as of when I left the company in August.

OldLRRP

Cadet
I have an old Jimmy that I bought to pull my boat. I had noise coming from the rear end and took it to my mechanic. He replaced all of the parts in the rear and on the inspection drive, the transmission went out. He rebuilt that, and a leak in the transfer case. He replaced the front axles as well. The total bill was $3200. I'm retired but have a small business. Those repairs will all be deducted. I love my old truck and am not afraid to take it anywhere. Most of all, I love not having a payment.

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
97-03 (2v) 4.6 and 5.4 blew the plugs out of the heads. The 3 valve 4.6 and 5.4 plugs broke when attempting to remove and had cam phaser issues- I think from 2004-2010.

RustGuy

Cadet
Yep just replaced a Cyl #1 coil pak on our 03 (4.6L) last week after failure. Unfortunately there is no way to bench test the coil paks prior to failure, they have to be done with a scope under load. Static resistance values of the bad coil were the same as the new one. This is the first one to go and it has 148K miles. Changing plugs in also dicey; I pre-soaked the plug holes in PB Blaster and let it sit for a few hours. Every one came out easy with no thread material attached. What was Ford thinking when they designed that head to engage only 3 threads on the plug?

Last edited:

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
What was Ford thinking when they designed that head to engage only 3 threads on the plug?

They were thinking the average ford customer would either trade it off or sell it before needing to replace the plugs. Worst case, it keeps the ford repair departments busy.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Yeah I agree with smokingcrater I think most manufacturers today expect people to trade their vehicles off within the first 4 or 5 years. There by eliminating most people having major issues during the time they own the vehicle from new. That leaves those of us who buy used to deal with the problems. It also means people like me who keep vehicles for 10 or more years are gonna run through most if not all the possible issues that vehicles will encounter.

I'm also convinced that most designers and engineers don't appreciate the abuse their products will face from the average consumer in real world applications. This is why products fail when we feel they shouldn't dud to what we call normal everyday use. My mom is a retired engineer with Texas Instruments and she told me years ago that products designed in a clean room usually end up being used in ways the developer/designer would never imagine. Her last 10 years with T.I. were spent torture testing products from the various lines looking for ways to improve them. I always tried to encourage her to think of the hardest scenario's and add some water and dirt to them.:D

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
When I purchased a ford truck, I needed the extra weight for towing, I went with the 250 and the 10 cylinder, this engines seems to be the best secrete. the engine has 220,000 something miles on it. and I have never done anything. I did start to give it a tune up. Plugs. but noticed it didn't need any. today the plugs are running at 175,000 knowing that these trucks are getting 4 and sometimes 5 hundred thousand miles, I really couldn't see where to go wrong. the Death wobble seems to be a thing of the past. But with any truck there are known issues. and there is NO way I would own a 2 wheel drive. it's because of the area where I live.
Do research before any major purchase.

Best of luck​

lncoop

Vice Admiral
I had an 05 with the cam phaser issue. When they reach that point they're good for another 100k or could grenade on the highway after 100 and there's really nothing worth doing that can be done. It's a long story, but trust me, BTDT. Bruce and several others know all about it. That said, the cam phaser issues were mostly confined to 03-06 5.4s. I got something on the spark plug class action a few weeks ago. After breaking out the abacus, super computer and TI calculator I determined I could get $20 out of it. Not much left when the lawyers get their cut. Just a matter of time until I get something on the cam phaser debacle I'm sure.

Last edited:

Natesms

Chief Petty Officer
I had 2 F-150's with the 5.4, an 01 and a 10. The 01 was horribly under powered and it didn't tow well. My Dad got a Chevy Trailblazer with a 6 cylinder and we quickly found out it towed the boat better. When I traded off the 01, I went to a Chevy because the power was still not there in the 2008. I did have issues prior to 100K miles, coil packs (if one goes out just do them all, don't try and fool yourself it won't just domino through the motor, you just leave yourself broken down a lot, trust me) and the IAC went out.

The 2010 5.4 had 300 HP and was much better at towing. Only issues I had there was the transmission wasn't quite figured out and I had to have it reprogrammed (1st year for the transmission I believe). I didn't have the truck long, only a year.

I now have a 2011 eco boost. I know those have their issues but so far so good for me the last 4 years. Hands down my favorite truck, I love the Eco Boost.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
Natesms

I've had 3 F150s in the 97-03 range with tow packages, and 3 Traiblazers with tow packages, I can confidently say that even the V6 F150s were far better tow vehicles than the trail Blazers, I towed the same boats and other trailers with each one. The Trailblazers did well for what they were, they did fine, but didn't compare to the F150s. Your F150 must have some sort of issue to be outdone by a Trailblazer.

Of the 3 F150s I've had, one plug has blow out in my 01, I bought the repair kit and it's a fairly simple repair.

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
And here we go. I made it perfectly clear in my first post that this was not an F-150 bash but merely an attempt to make people aware of the "cam phaser" issue. Yet once again a very specific topic got morphed into the spark plug issue, coil pack issue, and now into a Ford/Chevy debate. Makes me wonder why I bother sometimes.

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
The cam phaser issue is a well known and documented issue for many years now, Ford has made some good engines over the years that have good economy and good power, problem is many of them don't last long. I am going on my 3rd engine in my Explorer, that has well documented issues with the timing set up on the 4.0 SOHC motor, I love the truck, but get tired of the problems.

As far as why bother, it only took you a few seconds to post your message, and when you do that, many others are going to chime in with a world of topics, the spider effect I call it.

Not a big deal and all you wasted was a few seconds and a few electrons.

Tnstratofam

Commander
I'm sure people appreciate the information. Even if it leads to other discussions. I don't feel like this has turned into a F150 bashing thread. I certainly love mine even with the potential problems. I posted info on my experiences with my current vehicle and former work vehicles as I thought it might add to your original topic. I learned some information I did not know, and am glad for it.

dolluper

Captain
Why would you buy a dud out of the blocks....unless you like fixing ...lots of them out there go to auctions they are cheap ....Dodge are also cheap at auction wonder why ???????????????????????

Harritwo

Chief Petty Officer
I am the owner of an 04 F150 with the 5.4L We have discussed all my mods to this engine before but with the Phaser issues, I want to ask those to think back to the 70's GM's with the 327, 350, and 400 SBC. I spent many hours changing timing chains before they broke (about 100K) and rebuilding engines after they broke. Mainly due to the plastic CAM gear.

The 5.4L Phaser is no different than the 350 Chev of yesteryear. If you repair them when the issue first comes to light (Knock on Startup) you avoid a lot of headaches. Same as when you look at the TSB's on oil & filters. It wasnt made public like it should but it explains some of the issues.

I said this previously not to long ago, There is always a good one and there is always a bad one in every group.

captmello

Captain
I've got a '05 f150 with the 5.4. It has been a great truck. I bought it with 150,000+ miles and it now has 270,000+ miles and is in great shape. I haven't replaced any coil packs or cam timing components. Plugs, yes, I let my mechanic do them. I have the "Heavy Duty" version with 7 lug wheels and 4.10 rear end. Its been paid for since I bought it, and all I do is haul, tow, and ride in comfort every day, often 100+miles. Guess I got lucky...

Last edited: