Ford Escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
If you do not feel the RAV4 or CRV can tow a 2k load with a 4 cylinder (of which I think the vehicle would tow the load just fine.) I would look at a mid size SUVs like a Toyota 4Runner, which imho is one of the best built midsize SUVs in the world, simply put it is an excellent platform, and will tow up to 5k with ease. I understand you are cash limited which is why I would recommend the RAV4 or CRV, which are very low maintenance vehicles and economical on fuel. I would NEVER recommend you buy a vehicle which is at the end of its lifecycle (of which a escape with 110k miles is.) to any customer of mine.
For the towing weights I have just look at the manufacters set ones and all I can find for them is 1500 lbs is the max and I know for sure my boat/ trailer is over that. Insteresting though that the escape is at the end of its life at that mileage. I will look into the 4Runner and see what I can find for them. Might consider a truck as well only issue is they are rwd and in the winter that is not so good.

jbcurt00

Staff member
4cyl does have a lower tow rating. The Limited (mine) is only 4WD, V6 and trans cooler. All thats required to get the 3500lb tow rating

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
4cyl does have a lower tow rating. The Limited (mine) is only 4WD, V6 and trans cooler. All thats required to get the 3500lb tow rating
That is what I am aiming for, if I can't get that then I will have to just not boat this year and save to get one for next year. Don't feel okay towing 2k# plus with a rated capacity of 1500#

gm280

Supreme Mariner
That is what I am aiming for, if I can't get that then I will have to just not boat this year and save to get one for next year. Don't feel okay towing 2k# plus with a rated capacity of 1500#

Well you could help out by adding trailer brakes to assist in the stopping. Then you can get more control while stopping. JMHO!

Ming15237

Seaman
Well you could help out by adding trailer brakes to assist in the stopping. Then you can get more control while stopping. JMHO!

This is one of the best ideas thus far. Brake capacity is the biggest limiting factor with regards to towing. So purchasing and installing trailer brakes is a great idea!
The 4cyl Honda and Toyotas will move 2k weight with ease. Stoping 2k is another matter all together. Keep in mind the v6 rav and 4 cyl rav as well as the escapes in both 4 cyl and v6 likely use the same brake pads and rotor size across the platform, I may be incorrect but I would have to check part numbers to verify that. That being said adding brakes to a trailer nullifies the braking issue you could run into. Thus allowing you to have a far superior vehicle in the Toyota or Honda with virtually no setbacks.

cdnNick

Petty Officer 2nd Class
What about an older V6 Hyundai Santa Fe? With the factory tow package they are rated for 3500# or 4500# for a boat. Seem fairly decent on gas and tons of them around my area (Ottawa). Kia Sorento was the same.

Jeep Liberty might also be an option, you can find them fairly cheap with lower mileage. Gas mileage sucks pretty bad, my mother in-law drives a 2003 with about 200K on it, it has it's issues but she is REALLY hard on her cars. They rebuild the tranny around 175K, the older ones are rated for 5000#. You can even find them in a diesel model.

jkust

Rear Admiral
If I were in your shoes and If I understand you correctly, a Tahoe or a Yukon maybe a bit more than you need. I would suggest a true midsized suv being a Trailblazer, Envoy, 9-7x or the Rainier (these were all badge engineered GM's). Extremely cheap because they stopped making the entire platform in 2009 (replaced by the Acadia, et al) but a lot of bang for the buck engine and tow capability wise and even luxury wise if you got the 9-7x. You can get AWD, 4wd or RWD depending on the model and the equipment package. You can get a choice of v8's (model dependent) or an inline 6 cylinder. They tend to go a long time. Mileage unfortunately isn't stellar.

DonHof

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had a 2005 Escape sold it! Rode like a lumber truck,very bad gas milage. Towed my 14 foot boat 50 miles and back
took a half tank of gas.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
If I were in your shoes and If I understand you correctly, a Tahoe or a Yukon maybe a bit more than you need. I would suggest a true midsized suv being a Trailblazer, Envoy, 9-7x or the Rainier (these were all badge engineered GM's). Extremely cheap because they stopped making the entire platform in 2009 (replaced by the Acadia, et al) but a lot of bang for the buck engine and tow capability wise and even luxury wise if you got the 9-7x. You can get AWD, 4wd or RWD depending on the model and the equipment package. You can get a choice of v8's (model dependent) or an inline 6 cylinder. They tend to go a long time. Mileage unfortunately isn't stellar.
You are right about the Tahoe and Yukon being too much, I don't see myself needing that much power for a long time as I will keep my boat till it dies/rots out. Trailblazer is the one I am leaning towards right now, I have also now started to consider a truck but am not too sure about that one. I have some time before I need to have it so I can decide and look for the right deal. Lovely Canadian winter....

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
What about an older V6 Hyundai Santa Fe? With the factory tow package they are rated for 3500# or 4500# for a boat. Seem fairly decent on gas and tons of them around my area (Ottawa). Kia Sorento was the same.

Jeep Liberty might also be an option, you can find them fairly cheap with lower mileage. Gas mileage sucks pretty bad, my mother in-law drives a 2003 with about 200K on it, it has it's issues but she is REALLY hard on her cars. They rebuild the tranny around 175K, the older ones are rated for 5000#. You can even find them in a diesel model.
I think those seem like decent options, I will look around and see what the prices are around here compared to some others mentioned here.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
This is one of the best ideas thus far. Brake capacity is the biggest limiting factor with regards to towing. So purchasing and installing trailer brakes is a great idea!
The 4cyl Honda and Toyotas will move 2k weight with ease. Stoping 2k is another matter all together. Keep in mind the v6 rav and 4 cyl rav as well as the escapes in both 4 cyl and v6 likely use the same brake pads and rotor size across the platform, I may be incorrect but I would have to check part numbers to verify that. That being said adding brakes to a trailer nullifies the braking issue you could run into. Thus allowing you to have a far superior vehicle in the Toyota or Honda with virtually no setbacks.
Pretty sure it is illegal (in Ontario) to tow something that is over the max rated cap. Even if it wasn't I don't think I would feel okay with doing it, much rather pay more and know it is safe than take my chances.

Ming15237

Seaman
I understand your concerns. I would much sooner have a 4Runner 1996 to present than any Chevy trailblazer ever offered. The trailblazer was simply a horrible platform! Constant wheel bearing issues, electrical problems galore, fuel pump and sending unit issues, cylinder head bolts that like to fail for the hell of it! Intake manifolds that were not torqued correctly from the factory causing engine misfire issues, airbag sensors failing left and right a rear braking system that was a joke resulting in the need to replace the rear brake backing plates and parking brake shoes to the tune of 1k. They were just a mess of a vehicle.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
I understand your concerns. I would much sooner have a 4Runner 1996 to present than any Chevy trailblazer ever offered. The trailblazer was simply a horrible platform! Constant wheel bearing issues, electrical problems galore, fuel pump and sending unit issues, cylinder head bolts that like to fail for the hell of it! Intake manifolds that were not torqued correctly from the factory causing engine misfire issues, airbag sensors failing left and right a rear braking system that was a joke resulting in the need to replace the rear brake backing plates and parking brake shoes to the tune of 1k. They were just a mess of a vehicle.
It seems any suv I look at is not good enough so I shall get a horse... Well at least good to know the trail blazer has so many issues. As for 4runners, there are 2 on autotrader within 250 km so does not look like I will be able to find one that fits all of my requirements.

Ming15237

Seaman
Not trying to be a "Debbie downer" Josh, just trying to give you all the facts on the vehicles that you are considering. I have many customers whom have been in similar situations to yours and I advise them to buy what they can afford. Sometimes is is better to continue with your current car and borrowing when you need a tow vehicle until you can save enough to buy a good reliable vehicle when it pops up than to buy a car that is going to be in the shop all the time costing another $600 to fix each time... Remember information and knowledge are POWER! You now have plenty of it!🤓 No vehicles are faultless, but it does behove you to purchase the one with the least faults.

JoshOnt

Chief Petty Officer
Not trying to be a "Debbie downer" Josh, just trying to give you all the facts on the vehicles that you are considering. I have many customers whom have been in similar situations to yours and I advise them to buy what they can afford. Sometimes is is better to continue with your current car and borrowing when you need a tow vehicle until you can save enough to buy a good reliable vehicle when it pops up than to buy a car that is going to be in the shop all the time costing another $600 to fix each time... Remember information and knowledge are POWER! You now have plenty of it!🤓 No vehicles are faultless, but it does behove you to purchase the one with the least faults.
I get it, just kind of sucks that every suv seems to have a ton of issues. I am going to hold off a few months and see what deals I can find. Also going to consider a small pickup truck as they are reliable, well hopefully.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner
I get it, just kind of sucks that every suv seems to have a ton of issues. I am going to hold off a few months and see what deals I can find. Also going to consider a small pickup truck as they are reliable, well hopefully.

You will run into the exact same situation, there are good and bad ones, this goes for every vehicle type.

jbcurt00

Staff member
You will run into the exact same situation, there are good and bad ones, this goes for every vehicle type.

Yep^^^

To be clear, I still like my Escape, really liked it when we got it 3yrs ago But it is a 12yr old vehicle w 150K. Does what I need it to, when I need it.

And here, in WV the pool of used vehicles is different then whats available to you, there, esp condition.

This has sort of become paralysis by analysis

Get out and get behind the wheel of some cars. May find you like xyz vehicle, just not the 1 you're test driving. Or that you dont like that brand/type vehicle.

You may get a recommendation that zyx is the best vehicle ever made for your purpose. Reality is, the zyx you buy may still have issues. Its used, in your price range, likely well used thru multiple past owners.

Good luck

thumpar

Admiral
Just keep an eye on the deals. I got my Yukon for $3900 because the owner just picked up a truck and didn't need it. My van was totaled by the insurance company of the girl that hit me (still drivable). I looked and refreshed all the time at what was out there. It was only on the site for a few minutes and I was the first to respond. I drove up there and bought it.

64osby

Admiral
I picked up a very clean older Suburban from 200 miles south. It didn't have the typical rust belt issues. Also was able to find a rust free Cherokee Sport that came from the PNW. Both had high miles and needed a little work. After 20 hours of work on each we have 2 clean well running vehicles that can tow the boats. I have $2100 in the Burb and $1100 in the Jeep. Would drive either anywhere tomorrow.

jkust

Rear Admiral

Circling back around on this since I haven't been on the site for a while. The above comment about the GMT 360 platform is the exception to some extent of the platform if you get the v8 model. I've had three of these vehicles over the last 8 years and they have been nothing shy of stellar. My current daily driver, a 9-7x which I will hit 100k on after many years of ownership, has cost me a grand total of $300 to date (oddly enough a wheelbearing failed which as you know fail very, very slowly). By far the best vehicles I've owned since the mid 80's. What I will say is that the inline 6 cylinder is what the poster above is discussing and even then it's more than a bit exaggerated...I have only always had the 5.3 liter v8 option which gives you more than just a larger engine because it is anticipated that you will tow with it if you opted for the v8. Of the three, I have had one was a Rainer that we ran up to I think 90 something thousand miles with one pinion seal needing replacement that unfortunately my wife rolled on the freeway on black ice (it was a pre-side airbag and pre stability control model). The other is another Rainier that is my wife's car and also gets tow duty still today and my 9-7x which only tows a couple times per year. Again, keep in mind the GMT-360 line of vehicles are bang for the buck not saying they are the best vehicle ever made but you get a lot of towing ability for the money so am talking value here. Of the three, my wife's current Rainier has been the stinker of the bunch but the extended GM warranty came in handy. Two out of three aint bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.