gmc canyon /chevy colorado towing question

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
So if you already have an S10, you know how it tows. I would still have my 1999 S10 except I shortened it by about a foot on black ice. Even then, given the amount of front end damage, I was able to sell it for 2500 bucks.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Seems you already have a line on one, the reason for the questions.

I really liked my Canyon until about a year ago. Once it hit 100,000mi it seems like everything is falling apart and I have yet to come upon a cheap easy repair for it. The ABS warning I get is from a wheel speed sensor which requires the replacement of the whole hub, cost, about $400.00 ea. X 2, then the Fuel control which at this time is causing the truck to just randomly shut down and displays a "Reduced Power" alarm. Again this repair is $500.00 to $1000 depending on whether they can just replace the control module. Then there is the fan switch that has burnt out for the 3rd time since I've owned this truck. Another $150.00.

Sorry but I'm have serious reliability issues with this one and there are only 125000mi on it. We also recently just got rid of a 1999 S10 Blazer that we also were constantly fighting electrical problems with. Dash gauges and lights would go out, gas gauge would not work, 4 wheel drive light intermittent, same ABS light.

At this point I have given up on the quality of GM and I've have owned many in the past 40+ years. I don't need a full size truck either but I do use my midsize truck regularly. Now that I'm retired and not driving every day I have considered going to a V6 F150 or V6 Dodge Dakota. Yet I still find myself looking at low mileage V6 4Wheel drive Ford Rangers. Have also looked at the used 06 and newer Nissan Frontiers but have ruled them out because they are priced ridiculously high.

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I have no idea what you are talking about my question is about the 2004/6 colorado not s10s which 2 or 3 people have actually stayed on topic about. I am replacing my s10 with a newer truck because it is worn out at 2250000 miles. The s10 was a decent truck but far from great electrical issues oil lines for the remote filter and weak rear leaf springs and abs sensors were all problems with them not to mention the intake gaskets.

Last edited:

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
I'll add 2 more items of repair. Tailgate handle, plastic, broken. Passenger side door handle, plastic, broken when the door froze shut. Also when I 1st purchased this truck both door speakers were blown out and had to be replaced which I later found was a common fault also.

Here's a website for ya.
http://coloradofans.com/index.html/

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Wow! Two million two hundred and fifty thousand miles....
Sure got ur money's worth!

Everyone here has tried to give you information they felt would be helpful to you.... Everyone has been fairly on topic... This IS the info we have to offer... If don't feel that we are serving you well maybe, instead of complaining about just how wrong we are treating you, you could simply say "thank you all for taking time to at least TRY to help me".... Then you might do well to seek out a Colorado Canyon owners group forum...

Really "how does X truck tow trailers" isn't a boating specific question and there may well be folks elsewhere that would give you answers you liked better.

Either way just remember that we are a simple bunch and want to see pics of your shiny new truck no matter which you choose.

Good luck!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
I asked a simple question to try and get peoples experience with a certain truck while I appreciate the opinions and the time spent providing them. 2 people who owned them could actually had first hand experience with them. By the way I will be pulling my boat with whatever truck I buy. I also posted on here because people here use there vehicles for something other than the daily commute.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
2 people who owned them could actually had first hand experience with them.
So you got exactly what you asked for and more...

I relayed real life experience with the trucks both first hand and that of owners I know very well..

BTW I wasn't suggesting that there was anything wrong with asking here or that you should go away but rather that you might do well to also ask in a forum dedicated to those trucks.... That will be the best possible place to speak with people who own them as everyone there will.

Ming15237

Seaman
I asked a simple question to try and get peoples experience with a certain truck while I appreciate the opinions and the time spent providing them. 2 people who owned them could actually had first hand experience with them. By the way I will be pulling my boat with whatever truck I buy. I also posted on here because people here use there vehicles for something other than the daily commute.

So you still have yet to inform the community of what the hell you are towing... As an ASE certified Master Tech I received extensive training on the GMT355 (Colorado) platform. I can honestly say there is not a single redeeming quality to this vehicle! The engines suck, and from a maintenance standpoint I wish you the best of luck... The braking system was also a miserable disaster! Look up what it cost to replace a set of front brakes and rotors! I think you would be well served doing exactly as "Smokeonthewater" suggested and previewing the Colorado owners forums. Since you are being deliberately surreptitious in your responses to what exactly you are trying to tow perhaps you would have a better chance of having your needle in a haystack question successfully answered on a platform that was everything BUT successful, and was consistently rated as the poorest reliability vehicle in its class. Most on this forum are good people trying in earnest to provide you insight to the vehicle you are looking at, yet you have consistently answered with a snide tone. As a person whom works on these vehicles for a living, I would not own one with a full warranty much less out of warranty! Given that I never owned one of these pieces of garbage perhaps my answer is equally as useless as everybody else on this forums has been...

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
So you still have yet to inform the community of what the hell you are towing... As an ASE certified Master Tech I received extensive training on the GMT355 (Colorado) platform. I can honestly say there is not a single redeeming quality to this vehicle! The engines suck, and from a maintenance standpoint I wish you the best of luck... The braking system was also a miserable disaster! Look up what it cost to replace a set of front brakes and rotors! I think you would be well served doing exactly as "Smokeonthewater" suggested and previewing the Colorado owners forums. Since you are being deliberately surreptitious in your responses to what exactly you are trying to tow perhaps you would have a better chance of having your needle in a haystack question successfully answered on a platform that was everything BUT successful, and was consistently rated as the poorest reliability vehicle in its class. Most on this forum are good people trying in earnest to provide you insight to the vehicle you are looking at, yet you have consistently answered with a snide tone. As a person whom works on these vehicles for a living, I would not own one with a full warranty much less out of warranty! Given that I never owned one of these pieces of garbage perhaps my answer is equally as useless as everybody else on this forums has been...

Grin! -- why don't you tell us how you "really" feel! But I did check NAPA for brake rotors and pads and find them very little different than those for my GMC Yukon. $31 - $72 for pads depending on what you choose and $49 or $102 for rotors depending on which one you pick. I also checked a few owners forums and other than things that fall into the "annoyance" category and a few folks who probably complain because they need an oil change, there were no "sky is falling" complaints. I am aware of some valve seat issues with some of these engines but most of those were warranty items. It's too bad they didn't put the I-6 engine in these trucks. I would certainly not dismiss the vehicles for light duty towing but then we still don't know what the OP's plans are.

Ming15237

Seaman
Grin! -- why don't you tell us how you "really" feel! But I did check NAPA for brake rotors and pads and find them very little different than those for my GMC Yukon. $31 - $72 for pads depending on what you choose and $49 or $102 for rotors depending on which one you pick. I also checked a few owners forums and other than things that fall into the "annoyance" category and a few folks who probably complain because they need an oil change, there were no "sky is falling" complaints. I am aware of some valve seat issues with some of these engines but most of those were warranty items. It's too bad they didn't put the I-6 engine in these trucks. I would certainly not dismiss the vehicles for light duty towing but then we still don't know what the OP's plans are.

The 5cyl engine in this platform was such a miserable failure that GM has scraped it entirely. The parts to do the front brakes are not the issue, it is the cost to replace them that is. The book time to do front brakes and rotors on these trucks is 5 hours, however due to rust and other issues it is common for the job to exceed 7 hours! At $100 per hour, that's BIG BUCKS!

flyingscott

Fleet Admiral
. I bought an 07 I like it will find out in time thanks for everyone's opinions.

Last edited:

brian4321

Petty Officer 1st Class
Congrats on the new truck...I tow my 21 foot bowrider all the time with an 04 Colorado and yeah it doesn't pull it like by buddy's F- 350 , but if you take it easy it does just fine .