Wheel Protectant

What is a good product to use on my trailer tires to prevent them from dry rotting? They're in good shape and I'd like to keep them that way.
Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
depends if the issue is UV stability (then cover them) or inherent material issue (Chinese tires - not a thing you can do)

Tires last about 5 years

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
products? Maybe a few, I back up on some plywood to keep 'em off the concrete. Concrete and maybe other pavement will suck 'em dry

robert graham

Admiral
I just buy new trailer tires every 3 years....for a couple of hundred bucks it's worth it to me, especially since we tow 500 miles to Florida several times per year....if your tires are cracked/dry rotted then they are WAY past time to replace...

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Believe it or not - Lack of use with the tires sitting in one spot for long periods also contributes to the side walls cracking. Lifting the trailer to get the tires off the ground can help.

You can try covering to shade them from the sun, as mentioned above.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
What is a good product to use on my trailer tires to prevent them from dry rotting? They're in good shape and I'd like to keep them that way.
Thanks
Special Trailer tires (ST) are not safe to use after 3-5 years. If they dry rot, they are probably many years past their life anyway.

woosterken

Lieutenant
I use 303 protectant good enough for NASA good enough for me.
you can get it here from iboats

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Special Trailer tires (ST) are not safe to use after 3-5 years. If they dry rot, they are probably many years past their life anyway.

Just curious to hear your source on the life span of trailer tires. At the moment your statement is just an opinion. One that I don't subscribe to..... I believe there are too many variables to put hard numbers on a timeframe....

As far as wheel protectant, keep the sun and weather off them. That's the best way.... If you can, take them off, block up the trailer and store them in your garage over winter....

Last edited:

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Tire shine or protectant won't extend tire life. Covering them and proper inflation will.

robert graham

Admiral
A lot depends on how far and how fast you're towing, but as mentioned, we tow 500 miles to Florida at times 97 degrees.....several years ago we had 2 tread separations/ blow-outs on I-95 at 70MPH....after that we lean towards the side of caution....3 years is a good safe number for us, but roll the dice!....

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Just curious to hear your source on the life span of trailer tires. At the moment your statement is just an opinion. One that I don't subscribe to..... I believe there are too many variables to put hard numbers on a timeframe....

As far as wheel protectant, keep the sun and weather off them. That's the best way.... If you can, take them off, block up the trailer and store them in your garage over winter....

Rather than my generalization I should have been more specific since my comments were directed at radial tires.

Personally I have never used ST radials. All my trailers have used either bias ply tires or LT tires with the proper load range. And of course, garage kept ALL of the time (except parked at the launch ramp), full spec pressure, etc. I really had no opinion until I witnessed severe tire failures at 3 years old (based on the tire mfg code), TWICE. Both garage kept, correct pressure, yada, yada. That concerned me enough to read up on the subject. Lots of talk on this forum and Travel trailer forums that would confirm the short service life.

As one example, the following exerpt is from the Carlisle Trailer Tire website:
Replacement of Trailer Tires
Trailer tires can be worn beyond use although they may appear to
have adequate tread. This is because trailer tires support a lot of
weight, even when not in use. It is actually better for a tire to be rolling
down the road than to sit in storage, exposed to static weight and UV
exposure. During use a tire releases compound lubricants that are
beneficial to tire life. Using tires also assists in preventing flat spots
from developing.
If one tire fails, the remaining tires will be required to suddenly
compensate by supporting the increased load. This increase of weight
may overload the other tires causing a chain reaction blowout or other
internal structural damage. After a blowout, check the other tires for
damage and replace all tires on the side of the blowout.

Best Practices
? Any tire, no matter how well constructed, may fail when in use
because of punctures, impact damage, improper inflation,
overloading, or other conditions resulting from use, misuse
or neglect.
? High speed towing in hot conditions degrades tires significantly.
? Best practice. Do not exceed 60 mph while towing a trailer.
? Most ST trailer tires have a maximum speed rating of 65 mph.
? Load carrying capacity decreases as heat and stress generated by
higher speed increases.
? Time and the elements weaken a trailer tire.
? 3 to 5 years is the average life expectancy of a trailer tire,
regardless of mileage.
? It is estimated that in approximately three years, roughly
one-third of a tire's strength is gone.
? After three years, depending upon storage and conditions of
usage, consider replacing trailer tires even if they have tread
depth remaining.
? After five years, trailer tires should be replaced in all cases.