truck trailer wiring help

leafboat52

Cadet
I bought a trailer plug for my truck that did not come with harness to plug into rear tail lights so i wired it myself, everything works running lights, and blinkers i just dont have any break lights? Ideas? Thanks.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Fill in the blank.

I have a ______________________________ truck.

Do you have separate brake and turn signal lights on the truck?

leafboat52

Cadet
Sorry i was thinking it was pretty universal. It i a 98 dodge durango. I was thinking of tapping into the left break light and running that wire to the left turn and same for right side. But then i was thinking wouldnt that be the same as contecting the turn and break together?

leafboat52

Cadet
The brake light and turn signal are the same bulb i believe. I did not notice any break light wires on the trailer harness so it must have to use the turn signal wire?

leafboat52

Cadet
The break and turn are the same bulb but have seperate wires if thats what you ment? Thanks

GA_Boater

I think your Durango needs a convertor to combine the brake and signal lights for the trailer.

cinv.PNG

leafboat52

Cadet
That probably has some diodes in it on either the brake signal or turn to keep them from interference with each other.

GA_Boater

It more than diodes, but the lack of a convertor explains why you have signals, but no brake lights.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Can tell you from experience you need the converter for a first gen Durango. Plenty of kits out there. I used hoppy last time. It was about $20 for the plug and play harness and converter. It plugs in between the tail lights and the Durango harness. Takes about 15 minutes to install

leafboat52

Cadet
Just Ordered the kit off eaby almost $30 thanks for the help. Thought maybe i didnt wire something right. Bought my current kit at local parts store and it was just a universal kit. Thanks again for the help.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
you can make a converter modules by using a Radio Shack 4 way bridge diodes ($4) Tap and connect Brake & turn on 2 input pins and one pin out wired to the break filament on the trailer.

(polarity must be respected to allowdirectionnal flow of signals to the output pin (Brake filament)

such arrangement does not permit turn blinking signals on the one filament when the brakes are applied since this feeds current constantly to the bulb

My first car was a Datsun 510 back the 70s and that is how I solved the issue to merge break & turn signals to the bulb's brake filament.

just bolt the modules somewhere on just glue them up Inside a car cavity somewhere.​with silicon or ?poxy

Last edited:

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
you can make a converter modules by using a Radio Shack 4 way bridge diodes ($4) Tap and connect Brake & turn on 2 input pins and one pin out wired to the break filament on the trailer.

(polarity must be respected to allowdirectionnal flow of signals to the output pin (Brake filament)

such arrangement does not permit turn blinking signals on the one filament when the brakes are applied since this feeds current constantly to the bulb

My first car was a Datsun 510 back the 70s and that is how I solved the issue to merge break & turn signals to the bulb's brake filament.

just bolt the modules somewhere on just glue them up Inside a car cavity somewhere.​with silicon or ?poxy
That is not a good solution since you will have no turn signals on the trailer with the brakes applied. The way the combined system works is brakes have priority during normal operation so the bright filament illuminates in both the right and left side lamps via the left and right turn signal wires. Should you decide to make a turn while continuing to brake, the turn signal flasher interrupts the current to the bright filament on the side you are making a turn. On the Dodge and other vehicles with separate brake and turn lamps a converter is needed -- period. Vehicles with separate brake & turn circuits are easily identified by the amber turn signals on the rear of the vehicle. Even if the rear lamps have red lenses, you can easily see the separate bulbs by stepping on the brake with a turn signal activated.​

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
true but we usually flash a turn much before braking .. one should anyway.

Upon braking to a stop lifing t the foot off the brake pedal will allow turn flashing

just a suggestion. Personnaly I never had any issues .

GA_Boater

true but we usually flash a turn much before braking .. one should anyway.

Upon braking to a stop lifing t the foot off the brake pedal will allow turn flashing

just a suggestion. Personnaly I never had any issues .

On a hill? How does that work? The signals blink as you drift into the vehicle behind or in front.

Isn't it easier to get what works?

leafboat52

Cadet

A buddy of mine is a electrical engineer and suggested the exact same thing you said. I was still unsure of what to get so i ordered the plug and play kit. Also there are no more radio shacks over here in north west ohio. I heard they went out of business.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
Did you break your brakes? Are your breaks now broke(n)? Because your spell checker sure is.

Sorry, my OCD requires me to become The Spelling Nazi?. It's a real flaw in my character.

Crosbyman

Vice Admiral
I am certain everyone else understood my spelling errors.

Sorry I got you confused . :confused:

thumpar

Admiral
I took college level electronics and could come up with a circuit to make it work but after spending time to source the parts, build it and price of parts on top it is cheaper to just buy the unit. The lakes I go to have a downward approach so having both brake and signal lights at the same time is handy.

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
On the older vehicles you could get away wit splicing into the wiring. These days with electronics running throughout the vehicle, you need to install a harness adapter. Any auto parts store has them, you simply plug into the taillight harness, takes about 15 minutes.