How does my trailer look?

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Hi all, my boat is on the trailer on my driveway and I snapped some pictures of the underneath- I figure now is the time for me to do repairs, if needed. Nothing seems broken but the leaf springs are pretty rusted. Can you advise me on how this looks? anything that doesn't look good? Thanks!

Attachments

• photo234215.jpg
    photo234215.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 1
  • photo234216.jpg
    photo234216.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 1
  • photo234217.jpg
    photo234217.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 1
  • photo234219.jpg
    photo234219.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 1

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
the axle drop spindle looks like it needs serious attention.

springs are fairly cheap at about $25 per spring. the axle though looks like a nasty ball of rust between the spring and the hub. I would inspect.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks for the response. Let me ask your advice- can I replace the axle (because the drop spindle is welded to the axle I think?) and the leaf springs easily with the boat on the trailer? I have no real way to take the boat off with winter here and all. I have jacks and jack stands. Any advice is appreciated.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member

WIMUSKY

Staff member
Looks like surface rust to me that's common with any older trailer that spends its life outside. I would just do a good inspection. Look for cracks, severe flaking etc.......... What boat are you towing? Is saltwater involved?

Last edited:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I agree with WIMUSKY. It takes a LOT to rust out springs (especially thick ones like you have) to a danger point. In the photos they don't appear to be sagging but I do see what looks like some heavy rust on the spring bolts and plate. While I would leave the springs and axle alone, I might consider replacing the bolts and plate.

Since the springs are mounted under the axle, you would need to be very careful in replacing the bolts with the boat on the trailer. Jack up the trailer frame and BLOCK it in the up position . Do not work under a jack. Remember: the boat and trailer is as heavy as a car--safety first.

massimofinance

Chief Petty Officer
Thanks- I am towing a Searay SunDeck 210. The trailer creaks a lot when towing and there is a slight shudder I see in the arm that the winch attaches to, hence my thought to do some replacing of parts. I will inspect the axle better, but do the leaf springs need replacing as well?

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The creaking is the trailer flexing. They all do it. You may have a tall winch post where the winch is mounted on the lower portion of the post leaving much of the post unsupported causing the vibration. When I had a 24' cuddy the post would vibrate some because of the reason mentioned.... The springs wouldn't need to be replaced, but if you can get them cheap and want a rust free look, go for it....

Last edited:

fishin98

Chief Petty Officer
Does not look bad, just surface rust....I just redid my 1988 Shorelander, a very rusty trl. I took the boat off the trl, and had it sand blasted. $200. I primed it, let it set a week, then painted with Rustoleum, here's a few pictures. The 3rd picture is bare metal after sand blasting, last picture is the painted trl.
24xml5d.jpg

30bz5oj.jpg

33a8iua.jpg
14c435v.jpg

Last edited: