Trailer Brakes

alldodge

Staff member
He has drums already, only question is whether there on both axles or just one

cwhite620

Cadet
Bruceb58 is correct. I have disk with no caliper. The disk is only on the rear axle on the starboard side. I will most likely never launch in salt water although it is a possibility. I think I am going to take everything off that is on there now (Surge brakes with half the hardware) and replace the entire system with electric brakes. I've watched several videos and did lots of reading and I'm pretty sure I can do this. I want brakes on one axle but on both sides, not just one side like I currently have. My next question is what brake kit should I go with? And is there anything else I need to know that I am not thinking about?

alldodge

Staff member
Suggest looking for Nev-R-Adjust 10" 3500 pound brake plate assemblies Left Hand and Right hand
Two drums
One breakaway kit (Includes Battery and break away switch)
Seven prong trailer pig tail
With only one break axle, standard trailer wire and one strain of 12 AWG (should be Blue but not necessary) to use to feed brakes
One truck break controller

thumpar

Admiral
You may want to check your state requirements. There are a lot that say you need brakes on all wheels.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Tekonsha P3 brake controllers are great. They brake smoothly, have great adjustability, and quite a few of us here use them.

cwhite620

Cadet
I got the NEV-R-ADJUST 10 in brakes, a junction box (to keep everything neat because the wiring looks like a first grader did it), and a P2 Tekonsha controller. I am going to re-wire the entire trailer. As for the tongue that slides from the pressure brakes, I am going to weld it so it is stationary. Any suggestions before I tackle this project?

alldodge

Staff member
I welded my tongue also during the conversion, it worked out just fine