Trailer Brakes

cwhite620

Cadet
I just bought a skeeter zx-210 c. It has a tandem axel trailer. The guy I bought it from said he was backing the trailer down the launch and the brakes locked up. He unhooked the brakes and they have stayed that way since. I looked under the trailer and there is a brake line unplugged from a cylinder just under the tongue of the trailer. The wire leading from that cylinder to the connection on the truck looks like it was drug on the ground until it cut through the wire. I was told trailer brakes will lock up unless they are plugged in. If I fix the split wire and connect the brake line back to the cylinder will the brakes work again?

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
After you flush and bleed the brake system they might work again. It depends if any rust developed if the system has been open a long time.

The wire is probably for the reverse lockout so you can back up a trailer with surge brakes.

cwhite620

Cadet
I think the system has been open for over six months. After I connect everything that was disconnected how do I flush and bleed the brake system? I will just hope for the best that rust hasn't developed. Or is there a way to tell if it has rusted?

alldodge

Staff member
I think the system has been open for over six months. After I connect everything that was disconnected how do I flush and bleed the brake system? I will just hope for the best that rust hasn't developed. Or is there a way to tell if it has rusted?

I would suggest start by pulling the brakes and wheel cylinders. My guess is the cylinders are rusted up, and if this is the case bleeding will be a waste of time. Open the top of the master cylinder and it may also be rusty. I'm thinking you may need to replace everything.

NYBo

Admiral
If the hydraulic system has been open for 6 months, count on it to be damaged. You may just have to replace the lines, but the chances are, much more will be involved to get the brakes working properly again.

cwhite620

Cadet
:facepalm:Okay. So I guess I would be better off taking it somewhere and paying lots of money to have it done right.

alldodge

Staff member
:facepalm:Okay. So I guess I would be better off taking it somewhere and paying lots of money to have it done right.

No, it's not that hard to fix even if you need to replace everything, we are here to help just need to look and let us know what questions you have.

If your not in salt water you could even replace all of it with electric. If you would go electric just need to install a controller in the tow vehicle, this isn't hard either.

Last edited:

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Depending on the age of the trailer and use patterns you will wind up replacing drum wheel cylinders or disc calipers sooner or later anyway because they can commonly seize up from corrosion or old/contaminated brake fluid. I usually replace the wheel cylinders in my drum brakes about every 6 seasons to avoid hsving them seize up (the aluminum ones are about $25 each). The actuator usually lasts longer because it stays out of the water. It's a good idea to flush/bleed the brake system every 2-3 years to get any moisture or corrosion out of the system.
If there is corrosion in the master cylinder Id replace it and the wheel cylinders or calipers depending on if you have drums or discs (very important-->check the brake lines and flush them out )before replacing anything.

Last edited:

MarkSee

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Before just taking it to someone and paying a bunch of money, maybe consider doing some "research and learning" first as I was in a similar position as you, maybe worse, a few years back when time came to take a look at the brakes on my Maxum as I had no real idea about trailer brakes: how they work or parts involved.

Safety is top priority and I'm sure there are laws in your state about requiring functional brakes but being a tandem axle I'd think brakes are on only 1 of the 2 axles; what type of tow vehicle do you tow with and how is it stopping for you now figuring they are probably not working at all?

In my case, I have a dually so when I was towing the Maxum I never had a problem stopping in a reasonable distance and later when I took the drums off I found both cylinders frozen/rusted and had never been working since I had bought it.
So knowing I was able to safely stop with the brakes not working I decided to do some research on trailer brake systems, watching videos, etc. and ended up doing the work myself.

I no longer have the Maxum but using what I learned on that trailer I now am doing the brake maintenance on my bigger trailer that has brakes on both axles.

If you do decide to take it to a shop, see if you can find a shop that might be open to you watching some of the work so at least you'll be wiser on your specific setup.

Mark

cwhite620

Cadet
Okay after reading these posts I am motivated to do the work on my own. I watched a few videos and I will do a little further inspecting of the brakes on my trailer. I will let yall know what I find and any questions I need answered..

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
If you need to spend any money, do yourself a favor and convert to discs if it doesn't already have them.

thumpar

Admiral
What kind of system do you have now? Mine didn't work when I got my trailer. I ended up replacing the actuator, all 4 backing plates and the main line. If I was to do it again I would have just gone with electric disc and will if I ever have to do any major work on them again.

cwhite620

Cadet
Okay all. I looked under the trailer and The brakes are only going to one wheel. The previous owner was an idiot. His wiring harness drug the ground and the wire that tells the trailer that the truck is backing up was cut in two. Instead of reconnecting the wire his disconnected the brakes. There is a disk on the back axel on the passenger side but no caliper. Like I stated earlier the entire system has been open for at least six months. I feel like the best option is to replace the entire system with electric brakes(right now it is a pressure system). I am planning on buying a camper that has an electric brake system so I will have to put the controller in my truck anyways. I know I will have to replace everything including the tongue on my trailer. Has anyone ever dealt with installing electric brakes?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
I did it. It was not hard at all. I love my electric brakes... They are drums brakes, though, not disc.

alldodge

Staff member
I removed the surge off my tri-axle and installed electric, it was pretty easy. Need a good ground and need a heavier wire for the break feed. The size wire is determined by distance and amount of breaks to be installed.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Has anyone ever dealt with installing electric brakes?
Its going to be expensive since you also need to buy drums.

You launch in salt water? If you do, my advice is buy some Kodiac disc brakes.

I would never put drum brakes on a trailer again especially if you launch in salt.

Last edited: