How close can the bow stop be to tongue?

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I was told, by the dealer the problem with the post to far up was weight on the back of your vehicle. I doubt a boat that size is going to have much weight to it. I suspect you will do more damage to your vehicle then the boat on a sharp turn. Keep in mine when backing up your looking back over the trailer. Just my 2 cents worth.
There's another root cause of the problem. I am simply amazed what people get told by dealers. I mean, its like they never ran a boat or pulled a trailer in their life for some of the crap these dealers will tell you.....Rant over...

You can have too little weight on the ball and that will cause squirrely things on the highway. But really you can't have too much - yes unless if it exceeds the specs for the hitch.

If you pull with a pickup or an SUV, there must be enough clearance for the tailgate or hatch to operate full up or down, as the case may be. Also, If a full wheel locked turn causes a collision, then its too close.

All mute points anyway - the OP trailer looks like its more suited to a jetski. But only the specs will tell us for sure.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner
Well, I for one think you can work with that trailer.

Remove the trailer jack.
Mount the trailer jack behind the winch stand.

Move the winch stand forward, with forward most edge even with the red of the coupler.
Install some longer bunks if needed.

Been there, done that.

Its only a 220# boat with a 60# motor.

On a rig that size, you are doing well if you can get 40-60 lbs of tongue weight.

You won't hit your tow vehicle while turning.

You will only hit the tow vehicle while backing up, IF you jackknife the trailer.
And that you can do only if you aren't paying attention.

roffey

Commander
There's another root cause of the problem. I am simply amazed what people get told by dealers. I mean, its like they never ran a boat or pulled a trailer in their life for some of the crap these dealers will tell you.....Rant over...

You can have too little weight on the ball and that will cause squirrely things on the highway. But really you can't have too much - yes unless if it exceeds the specs for the hitch.

If you pull with a pickup or an SUV, there must be enough clearance for the tailgate or hatch to operate full up or down, as the case may be. Also, If a full wheel locked turn causes a collision, then its too close.

All mute points anyway - the OP trailer looks like its more suited to a jetski. But only the specs will tell us for sure.

Depending on what you are pulling, you can absolutely have to much weight on the back of your vehicle. Wont get into it here, The OP's boat and trailer are light and the risk of damage is almost nil.

Last edited:

UncleTork

Cadet
Thank you guys for all your help and input. I got the boat and trailer in a trade not from a dealer. I am going to do some modification to the trailer and then throughout the process measure the tongue weight. If i can get this trailer to work with properly then perfect. If not then i guess its time to sell this boat and trailer and get something bigger haha.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Have to agree with roscoe that there is very little weight involved with this boat even with that little 6hp on the back. Even if you extend those bunk 2' past the end of the trailer I do not believe there is enough weight there to distort a 2X4.

There are still many trailer manufacturers out there that make small craft trailers that use bunks that pivot and only have 1 mounting bracket. Look thru these and you will see a number of examples. Like the 1st and 4th ones.

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q...t+trailers&qpvt=small+boat+trailers&FORM=IGRE

bassman284

Commander
My guess is the boat and motor together are less than 250 pounds and if it was mine, I'd leave it the way it is. I pulled a 14' aluminum jon boat for 12 years with about that much overhang in the rear. Also had a 6 hp Johnson on it and I had enough ground clearance I let the motor hang vertically. Never had any problems. There really is no comparison between this boat and one weighing 2000 lbs or more.

UncleTork

Cadet
My guess is the boat and motor together are less than 250 pounds and if it was mine, I'd leave it the way it is. I pulled a 14' aluminum jon boat for 12 years with about that much overhang in the rear. Also had a 6 hp Johnson on it and I had enough ground clearance I let the motor hang vertically. Never had any problems. There really is no comparison between this boat and one weighing 2000 lbs or more.

My thoughts exactly. Although i have moved the winch forward and plan on adding a couple inches to the bunks just for peace of mind.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
My thoughts exactly. Although i have moved the winch forward and plan on adding a couple inches to the bunks just for peace of mind.

That will work fine with your setup. As mentioned, we're not talking very much weight. Just make sure you have "some" tongue weight. I'd rather have too much, within reason, than not enough.. When you attach the tongue to the hitch, you'll know if there is not enough. I wouldn't get crazy with scales on that setup. As long as it doesn't fishtail you're good.... Make sure too the trailer rides level. If the tongue is pointing slightly up, you need a drop hitch. If it points slightly down, leave it. Slightly down will change the center of gravity and give you a little more tongue weight...