Trailer and boat Length

hwhite55

Recruit
want to put a 17 ft galvanized trailer under my 1625 Lund Classic Boat. The winch is adjustable. Will this cause in problems making very sharp turns? Also the Lund has a Beam of of 76" and the trailer is 78" between fenders. Will this trailer be to wide for the boat? I would appreciate any input.
Thanks, Huey

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Do not see any issues so long as the trailer is adjustable. The trailer being wider then the boat is better then not being wide enough. So long as you can adjust the bunks/rollers to fit the boat your good

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Basic rule of thumb is that trailer should be a minimum of 110% of boat length from transom to bow or 2' longer which ever is more....

Less than this will likely cause problems...

On this small boat and trailer you can likely lengthen the tongue a bit if needed.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
In addition, measure from the ball to the widest point on the back of your tow vehicle.... Every inch that the boat protrudes into this distance from bow to ball will reduce your maximum turn angle and make it more likely that you will have the boat and vehicle damage each other.

thumpar

Admiral
Is the trailer 17' long or is it made for a 17' boat? From the boat model number I am guessing it is a tad over 16'. If the trailer is only 17' long I wouldn't try it. Even if you could get it on you may end up with negative tongue weight.

hwhite55

Recruit
I want to thank everyone for their advice on trailer /boat length. I will look for a 18 ft trailer for my 16 ft Lund. this way I want have to get brake shoes wet and not bump boat on rear of SUV. Thanks again ! Huey

alldodge

Staff member
Still don't see an issue, your Lund weights in at 1775 if it has the as designed engine. If you do decide to do the thumb it the 110 percent of the length comes to 17.8 feet. Your talking about 10 inches at the most.

The boat doesn't weight much and of that the largest percentage is on the stern. As before not seeing the design of the trailer (no pics) I don't know what your starting with. That said if you feel your unable to handle the issue you could get a longer trailer and provide more room and your tension should be reduced. Or better yet go to a custom trailer manufacture or Lund and have them make you one

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
That's 110% or +2' minimum... Comes out to 18' minimum but ideal would be longer.

It's not about weight, it's about support for the hull and clearance between the boat and tow rig.