bunk spray

zpalffy

Seaman Apprentice
I have read a few threads on the topic of spraying the bunks with a silicon or a product called liquid rollers to make it easier for your boat to unload and load onto the trailer. I saw the thread that said to launch boat then come back later when the bunks are dry and spray the bunks. My question is how long does it take for the bunks to dry and how long after you spray the bunks can you load the boat (or how much time does the spray need to dry into the carpeted bunks). Finally I guess it would be nearly impossible to spray the bunks with the boat on the bunks I do not see it doing any good spraying the exposed portion of the bunks. Thanks

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
When I replaced the bunks on my trailer, I was in a hurry and did not cover them with carpet. I sprayed them with a whole can of Pledge, letting it soak in between coats. Now, the boat slides on and off slicker than snot.

If you park the trailer in the sun, the bunks should dry in about an hour. If you spray on the liquid rollers then give it at least 15 minutes in the sun. If it is dry to the touch, it is ready. If you decide to use furniture spray wax, you can load the boat immediately.

If your boat is rather a smaller one, then a jack under one chine should lift it high enough to spray one side and hold it 'till the spray dries then the other side is repeated at your leisure at home in the driveway.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
Spraying on stuff intended for cooking or cleaning your furniture is not a permanent solution. You'll have to do it again some time.

Pay a few bucks and put on a set of glide slicks and you won't have to mess with it ever again.

jgarko

Recruit
The liquid rollers is very slick stuff. Used it many times. Man what a difference when launching. I sprayed the stuff on right before loading the boat. Again what a difference. I highly recommend the stuff.

four winns 214

Senior Chief Petty Officer
I use silicone spray. Usually have to apply 3-4 times a season. I try to apply to bone dry bunks, but often that's not possible so I apply to as dry as possible. I'm sure there will be replies saying how how horribly wrong that is, but it works for me. Beware that not only will the boat slide on much easier, it will also slide off easier as well. Keep that bow strap and safety attached until you're ready for the boat to go off the trailer.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I too use silicone spray as well. But like previously stated, don't unhook the boat until you are over the water, or you may drop the boat on the ramp. I actually had a friend do just that one day. And it was during the spring spawning for the Crappie. The blocked ramp was a big mistake for making friends. :facepalm:

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
I too use silicone spray as well. But like previously stated, don't unhook the boat until you are over the water, or you may drop the boat on the ramp. I actually had a friend do just that one day. And it was during the spring spawning for the Crappie. The blocked ramp was a big mistake for making friends. :facepalm:
The Trailer Boater's Instruction Manual says don't unhook until the trailer is in the water, and it doesn't matter if you have rollers, slicks or treated bunks.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I have used the bunk slide spray. It works very well. I usually just put a block and jack under the transom at the keel and lift up the boat. Get in there and spray it on the length of the bunks. Once dry, let the boat down. At the ramp, do not forget to leave the strap attached or it will end up sliding off the trailer. You won't have to back in as far, and the boat will come right off. It's so great to launch!
My current boat it was almost too slick because when we loaded the boat, it would be sliding back off before I could get the winch strap attached. I just scrubbed it down with some purple power to help remove some of the slick stuff. It usually lasts me a couple seasons before I need to reapply. I have done it to all the boats I have owned.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Possibly not seeing this right. You are backing up until your prop is in the water, bunks for the most part dry and out of the water and then powering/pulling off the bunks? With both my boats (20' pontoon & 28' CC) I back in until the boat basically floats and then drive away. When recovering I back the trailer in until the bunks are wet, pull forward a bit then drive the boat on to the winch stand. Wet bunks, wet hull has worked well.

90stingray

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Possibly not seeing this right. You are backing up until your prop is in the water, bunks for the most part dry and out of the water and then powering/pulling off the bunks? With both my boats (20' pontoon & 28' CC) I back in until the boat basically floats and then drive away. When recovering I back the trailer in until the bunks are wet, pull forward a bit then drive the boat on to the winch stand. Wet bunks, wet hull has worked well.

There is no need to power off the trailer. It will push off by hand. I back in until the trailer tires are mostly covered with water. Being slick helps from having to back tow rig in so far to get boat to float. To get mine to float the truck tires are well into the water... Which I don't like. And loading is the same idea, you don't have to be so far into the water. And you can power load or winch up no problem. I can winch it up tighter even when out of the water if I need to.... Cause sometimes the help I get is not always super-helpful šŸ˜ƒ. Hope that clears things up.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
Seems there are different way's to do things here. Correct me if I'm wrong. But for me. I back into the lake until the boat is floating, then unhook, coming off the bunks is NOT an issue. because I'm already off them. Same with loading. I'm really NOT on the bunks except a little at the nose of the trailer. sounds like bunk spray is a waste to me

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Seems there are different way's to do things here. Correct me if I'm wrong. But for me. I back into the lake until the boat is floating, then unhook, coming off the bunks is NOT an issue. because I'm already off them. Same with loading. I'm really NOT on the bunks except a little at the nose of the trailer. sounds like bunk spray is a waste to me

For you, it is... now lets say your ramp has an extremely shallow angle and you would have to back in until your rear axle was halfway covered in water before the boat was floating. Or how about the ramp at the lake that is very low and if you go back another foot, the trailer drops off the end of the washed out ramp from idiots who powerload?

(I deal with both of those at the 2 locations where I boat, bunk spray (aka silicone spray) is extremely useful!)

Last edited:

oldjeep

Admiral

If you can do that at your ramp then that works great. For my boat at the ramp I use a little lubrication on the front set of bunks would help because I wind up cranking the last couple feet and it weighs around 4000lbs. For dropping it in the water I typically back up until it floats, unhook and then bump it off the trailer - otherwise I'd have the truck in the water.

Lawnpro979

Petty Officer 1st Class
For you, it is... now lets say your ramp has an extremely shallow angle and you would have to back in until your rear axle was halfway covered in water before the boat was floating. Or how about the ramp at the lake that is very low and if you go back another foot, the trailer drops off the end of the washed out ramp from idiots who powerload?

(I deal with both of those at the 2 locations where I boat, bunk spray (aka silicone spray) is extremely useful!)

Ah yes... THX... I never thought about that..... I am somewhat New to boating and where we go I have never experienced these issues.

Thx again

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Ah yes... THX... I never thought about that..... I am somewhat New to boating and where we go I have never experienced these issues.

Thx again

Lawn, before you try using the Silicone spray, make absolutely sure you have your boat over water before disconnecting the safety chain and strap. I personally know folks that had their boats slide off while backing down the ramps. So just be informed. The Silicone Spray does work extremely well. JMHO!