boat-bunk hangover and, fold away tongue

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
of course I am talking separate subjects.

first up, how much over hang is the limit for an aluminum riveted boat on a bunk trailer, when the boat is sporting a v6 Johnson outboard?

I am playing close to the limits of trailer length so I am thinking 2 " might be ok of an over hang off bunks with a boat that has the keel on 4 rollers as well.

sqgwfo.jpg

I hope you can see where the black carpet ends on the bunk in relation to the transom.

second up... Id like to fit my trailer in the garage and am thinking of going with a pull out tongue or a swing away, but id also like to maybe add brakes to the trailer...soooo it is feasible to add a flexible rubber brake line at the pivot point of the swing away ???

bob

thumpar

Admiral
I have a pull out tongue. The brake line has a disconnect kind of like an air hose disconnect. It is from the factory like that.

64osby

Admiral
Your hangover will be fine. Take a couple Motrin and drink some water.:rolleyes:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
I disagree! You did say V6 Johnson, did you not? The engine is rather heavy and the spot where you have overhang is precisely where a hook develops in most hulls stored improperly. Either shift the hull forward a bit or shift the bunks back a bit. Remember: The strongest point is right where the transom joins the bottom. It is better to be conservative.

Last edited:

Maclin

Admiral
While you are up at the tongue area figure out how you can move the boat forward 2 inches.

64osby

Admiral
Your hangover will be fine. Take a couple Motrin and drink some water.:rolleyes:

Tongue and cheek comment, ergo the :rolleyes:.

Yes as mentioned above getting the transom to sit on the bucks is the ideal setup.