Bow strap replacement?

robert graham

Admiral
My bow strap is 15 years old, UV has bleached the black to a grey color, still holding fine but no way to test tensile strength....should I replace this strap with a new one($10), cut off a couple of feet to remove UV damaged section, or just forget it and stick with what I have?...any thoughts, ideas, opinions or experiences with these straps failing with UV/age?....

alldodge

Staff member
Don't know the weight of your boat, but I like the idea of cut and retie. My boat was so heavy I pulled it all off, doubled it and rolled it back up to make it twice as strong. It's been working this many years with no issue, either cut or replace, as you say its only $10

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
My shoes are worn... Should I repair, replace, or continue to use them....

Of course the answer is repair or replace at your discretion OR continue to use it.... Lol

Testing strength should be pretty easy.... With the boat off the trailer extend the strap and hook it to the trailer.... Give it a crank and see if it breaks....

Another thought... As long as you have a bow tie down strap breakage may not be a huge concern.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
and 3 Musketeers n York PP's n miniature Tootsie Rolls n Nerds..... just gonna hand out dollar bills next year!

sorry to embellish! Back to the strap, as well as safety chains on your trailer, a lanyard/bow tie is necessary equipment; also a transom tie down of some sort. My strap is used only to snug the bow against the stop - have a float/drive on trailer.

jrttoday

Lieutenant Junior Grade
I should be amazed by what people don't know or didn't occur to them, but I'm not. Not when I look at what I didn't know or occur to me!! lol Depending on your set up, some people never completely submerge their bunks and pull back up before loading - it helps.

I've seen people spray WD40 on their bunks; which I don't agree with, there's already enough crap in the water...

Last edited:

robert graham

Admiral
Don't know the weight of your boat, but I like the idea of cut and retie. My boat was so heavy I pulled it all off, doubled it and rolled it back up to make it twice as strong. It's been working this many years with no issue, either cut or replace, as you say its only $10
Maybe the cut and retire is a good way to go...I doubt the strap that's on the reel and out of the UV is weakened/degraded?...

thumpar

Admiral
I just replaced the whole winch. They come with strap. Most places sell them for around $25 or so.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Unless you have an industrial sewing machine to resew the hook back on, just buy a new strap.

alldodge

Staff member
A good knot works just fine, after doubling mine that's what I did. Years later when it needed it again, I bought 50 foot of stainless steel cable and replaced it

Maclin

Admiral
If there is enough length left that has not been UV damaged and the winch is holding up okay then cut and tie is probably the most cost effective solution. If you are more worried than your writing gives a hint about then buy a new strap with the hook sewn in, maybe the whole winch if it is due.

robert graham

Admiral
If there is enough length left that has not been UV damaged and the winch is holding up okay then cut and tie is probably the most cost effective solution. If you are more worried than your writing gives a hint about then buy a new strap with the hook sewn in, maybe the whole winch if it is due.

I guess it's that UV bleached exposed section that I have to look at every time I launch that's making me think about this....it's just whispering to me," hey guy, I'm old, UV bleached from the sun, possibly weakened to the point of failure".....I hate to just throw away the $10 for a new strap if mine's perfectly fine.....so I'm an old tightwad.....

am_dew

Chief Petty Officer
Cut and retie with a good knot...I've done that several times and had no problems.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
99% it's fine... Test it...

Color and strength are NOT good indicators of each other... The dye in the strap is fading... Dye is not what makes it strong... It could just as well look great and be rotten...

Again, test it....

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I consider this something needed for safety of everyone on the road around you.

Buy a new strap.

Costs $10 and takes 10 min. Surely this is worth a life.

alldodge

Staff member
Life Lib a pursuit, yada yada :facepalm: :deadhorse:

robert graham

Admiral
Today I reeled the strap out a few feet, scrubbed it good with Purple Power and a brush and inspected it carefully for any fraying, cracking or deterioration and actually the strap looks pretty good, aside from the UV bleaching....so guess I'll just keep an eye on it....maybe cut and tie it later or spring for the big $10 for a new strap.....