Trailer set up help

ThePyRo

Cadet
I bought a used boat and trailer together. I am not sure if this trailer is even set up for the trailer. The transom hangs off about 2-3 feet. Lifting the boat by the tounge does not require a lot of effort, can do it with one hand and a small grunt. If I wanted to slide the boat forward, the winch bracket would be slid forward and end up hitting the very front of the trailer. Is this normal? I attached pics. Please let me know what to do. The rear rollers pivot and can be rotated vertically by hand.

further

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Yikes!! That trailer looks way too small for the boat. I'd be looking for a new one real quick. Not safe!!

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Welcome aboard. At a minimum the boat needs to come forward. However I also agree the trailer is too small for the boat

ThePyRo

Cadet
Could I just bring the boat forward or will that be too close to the tounge? Also, I have trailered the boat in and out of the water about 18 times now. Next season I plan on keeping it in a wet slip. Is there anything I could adjust to secure it better?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
as stated the trailer looks to be way too small for the boat.... it needs to move WAY forward... If you can get to where it only hangs off a couple inches you might be ok...

move the winch stand as far forward as you can get it... the jack will have to be behind the front mount for it. May well still be no good but worth a try.

64osby

Admiral
Look at the rear rollers, is the mount centered or off set? If offset, does the long side go to the rear? If not flip them.

If the front rollers are longer then the rears you may also be able to flip the fronts and he rear.

A different winch stand may also help you with space.

The trailer is too small but you may be able to off set the issues enough to get a workable trailer. Best would be to find a longer trailer.

Short trailers cause hooked hulls, which cause poor performing boats.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
The axle MIGHT need to move... Can't know that till (if) you have the boat properly supported and then get the rig on a scale.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
That sure looks like an old EZ-Loader trailer and that model was built narrow.

I would be more concerned about the amount of rust on it than the size. Tube frames rust from the inside out as well as the surface rust you see.

The boat appears to be able to be moved forward quite a bit, at least enough to get the rear rollers to within a couple inches of the stern. It also appears that those front roller mounts can be moved forward on the frame rails which you might also have to do to raise the bow and to keep it from hitting the frame where the rails join together.

Regardless of size the amount of rust shown would make me consider if that trailer is even safe and has not been compromised.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
There are ways to make that trailer work, but not without a ton of work and extra metal. JMHO!

Volphin

Lieutenant
It may just be the angle, but I think I'm seeing some flex in that trailer toward the bow.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
guys I just don't think that boat will EVER fit properly on that trailer.... even if you ran the winch mount all the way up to the coupler(bad idea) and removed the jack, the back of the boat would still hang off the last roller by a foot or more!!!... Id want that last roller within inches of the transom....on a bunk trailer Id want to see a little bit of bunk behind the transom.... and even if he could get the transom up close to the roller and moved the axle enough to get good weight distribution and allow for proper tongue weight....the bow of the boat would be inches from the tow vehicle!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! just bad all around......that trailer was good enough to get the boat home and that's it!

bob