how to find my trailer bearing size for my venture trailer?

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
I am dreaded to replace my trailer bearings. I have been monitoring the trailer bearing by opening it up and removing the tire to check the outer ring and bearing condition. But, I have never opened the inner bearings to check whether it is time to replace it. It does have an easy bearing which allow me to pump new grease in. So, here is the million $ question for you. I been feeling the trailer caps after each of my trip and make sure they are not hot to the touch.
What is the easiest way to check them? Am I doing the checking correctly?

SilverSS07

Petty Officer 1st Class
You don't need to replace the bearings unless something is wrong with them. Can't check inner bearing without removing. Remove, clean, inspect, check races, repack with grease. You will need new grease seals.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner
Bearings and races have numbers on them. Any reputable auto parts store can source the bearings for you. But as pointed out -- unless they become pitted, cracked, crazed there is no reason to replace them. You do need to periodically disassemble the hubs, clean the bearings, inspect them, and if they are ok, repack them and reassemble. When installing the wheel again, make sure the bearing pre-load is properly adjusted.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Silvertip is correct. However, you can remove the bearing (and races as well) and carry them to any auto parts store and get replacements. Then tap in the races (make sure which way the races' taper section is positioned) and pack the new bearings with quality grease and install them as well and happy trailering again. JMHO!

Fed

Commander
Jack it up, spin the wheel & listen for any funny noises.
Grab the wheel top & bottom and move the wheel while applying pressure & feel for any funny feelings.
Do the same grabbing left & right.
Pump grease if it needs it and continue to feel for heat when you use it.

Note: You put the wheel nuts on backwards, the taper goes towards the wheel, go & fix it or your wheels will fall off.

WIMUSKY

Staff member
The easiest way is what you said, feel the hub(I do it every time I take it out). It should be a little warm, but not so hot you have to let go. Or, pull the hubs apart. If you do that, you might as well replace the bearings, races and seals...... It's actually a pretty easy procedure.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Jack it up, spin the wheel & listen for any funny noises.
Grab the wheel top & bottom and move the wheel while applying pressure & feel for any funny feelings.
Do the same grabbing left & right.
Pump grease if it needs it and continue to feel for heat when you use it.

Note: You put the wheel nuts on backwards, the taper goes towards the wheel, go & fix it or your wheels will fall off.

Wow, gosh. Thanks a lot for your note. I totally forgot which way I should have the wheel nuts on., I will take a look and turn the nuts around. Gee, been very lucky the wheel didn't fly away yet.

bryanzzz

Seaman
Lot of great checks, Mr Fed called it best. Jack up, spin, listen for a growl, and feel for loose play. If you are not experienced and don't mind spending a little money I suggest pulling hub and purchase new hubs. They come with new studs, nuts, bearings, race and grease seals. Easy to replace and you will have spare hubs incase of failure on the road on a Sunday morning 200 miles from home, know this first hand. Good luck.

ib18

Chief Petty Officer
Lot of great checks, Mr Fed called it best. Jack up, spin, listen for a growl, and feel for loose play. If you are not experienced and don't mind spending a little money I suggest pulling hub and purchase new hubs. They come with new studs, nuts, bearings, race and grease seals. Easy to replace and you will have spare hubs incase of failure on the road on a Sunday morning 200 miles from home, know this first hand. Good luck.

so i guess i will need to bring the hub into store and have them tell me what size to buy? is there a number or something on the hub that I can just buy online?

Maclin

Admiral
Hard to understand how you got as far as you did in the videos and did not just take the axle nut off and pull the hub and look at the bearings and hub races. Maybe you should call around and find a trailer shop?