Thinking about an old new vehicle. Thoughts please.

Blind Date

Chief Petty Officer
If you get a 'Burb with the 6.0 check the exhaust bolts. I thought the 6.0 in my '04 GMC Sierra HD had collapsed a lifter but after nosing around on the internet discovered sure as ship that 3 of the exhaust manifold bolts on the passenger side had snapped off taking the gasket with it. $370 later it sounded good as new. Of course I've got 2 missing exhaust bolts on the drivers side but that gasket hasn't let go to the point yet that it sounds the motor is falling apart.

The 4L80E has a good reputation as it is basically the old Turbo 400. A buddy has 300K on his 4L60E in an '03 Yukon XL and it is still going strong. But he does regular transmission services and drives it right. My old neighbor had his "60" puke on his '03 'Burb at a 160K but then he even admitted that never once had he bothered to service the transmission. Pretty damn good transmission IMO that it lasted that long.

Sounds like a lot of people are recommending the GM GMT800(1999-2006) FS 1/2 ton SUVs. I'll concur as they are everywhere so initial cost is cheap, parts both new & used are cheap, and you can still work on them. They have their issues(front wheel hubs, gage clusters, snapping exhaust bolts, etc.) but in general are good vehicles that won't kill your pocket book to keep running over the long haul.

Tautline

Recruit
Incoop, buy used, but don't buy more than you need. I have a 2000 F250, FWD, Powerstroke that has towed 10K# and a 2004 F550 Powerstroke that would probably tow anything, which I will get rid of when I don't need it any more. But I have had five Suburbans (gas), a gas Excursion, an Expedition and a Navigator. All of these smaller, gas units, would tow every boat I have ever owned except the Mako 293. For what you are towing, an Expedition, Tahoe or Dodge equivalent would be fine. A crew cab, 1/2 ton Pickup would also do. My Company truck is a crew cab F150, small V8 and has like a 373 rear end. This truck could pull 5-6 thousand pounds all day long. If you find a used vehicle that has been using synthetic lubricants, it will probably last a long time. My brother put 300K miles on a Tahoe, towed, a 24' Four Winns five hours to the lake three times a month (in season) and had few issues, and he ran Mobile One always. Every engine that I own has synthetic lubricants in them, it is worth it. But the key is to look for a vehicle that has been well maintained. I believe that you can find what you need for $5K - $7K, Good Luck

jbetzelb

Petty Officer 1st Class
Someone has to vote for newer. I have had the same boat since 1992. Towed it with a 73 Chevy C10. (Had the highway viewing option on the floor). Pulled with a 93 F150, 96 Tahoe 5.7, a 2001 F250 with a 7.3, a 2008 F250 with a 6.4 and currently a 2011 F150 5.0. The diesels speak for themselves for towing ability but out of all those rigs the 2011 F150 5.0 tows the 4K weight just fine, gets the best mileage of any of them both towing and empty, anti sway and traction control, brakes that adjust to the load, built in trailer brake controller, rear view camera, auto climate control ect. With the exception of the Tahoe none of these rigs had any serious problems. Tahoe's engine was great, the tranny and rear end both failed. Good news was they talked me into the 100K warranty so the 6 K in repairs cost me $900 for what I paid for the extended. I am big on modern technology. If it breaks I may change my mind but I have had zero failures with anything on the modern trucks

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
I thought we were supposed to talk him into older. One thing to balance is loss on the newer expedition that will be sold. I'd add that to the cost of the new older car and give a little more for repairs. It may not be worth selling the newer car.

lncoop

Vice Admiral
I thought we were supposed to talk him into older. One thing to balance is loss on the newer expedition that will be sold. I'd add that to the cost of the new older car and give a little more for repairs. It may not be worth selling the newer car.

If comps I've seen aren't too far out of line I should be able to slick out on the sale, maybe even make a couple bucks.