Need thoughts on a diy trailer or boat bow ladder

hz293

Seaman Apprentice
in my previous post I got information about launching and retrieving my 19ft open bow Fiberglas boat by myself. Ok, so that's taken care of but I need a way to get in and out of my boat. I'm 5 ft 6 with a 25 inch inseam and am round. I've seen the trailer bow steps they sell but their out of my price range. I'm looking for what others have done to take care of the problem. I know I'm not the only one and am looking for an inexpensive solution, hopefully diy. All thoughts except lose weight are welcome.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I don't have any real help for you about a ladder, but look at some pontoon trailers. Many have a boarding ladder built into the front of the trailer. You might get some ideas from those for something to fab.

alldodge

Staff member
If your talking about getting in/out while its on the trailer, and since you mentioned limited funds, I would suggest a 3 or 4 foot step ladder and a rope. Tie the rope to the ladder, climb up then pull the ladder aboard and fold. It could be unfolded and sit back on the ground to get back out.

Now if you can find a pool ladder that hooks over as GA mentioned that might work better

Fed

Commander
You might be better off winching with a powerwinch. (I've read your other thread)

Park the boat, get the trailer, move boat to trailer by hand or rope, hook boat up and winch away, jump in car and drive off.