Boat too heavy

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
Ayuh,.... Just make sure somebody is near by with a video recorder, 'n a fresh battery,... a cell phone will do,....

I'd Love to see the show,......

WOW!! Little harsh for a Friday????:laugh:

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That trailer is a little light and definitely will be overloaded. However I once put a deck on a 500 pound Sears boat trailer and towed a 2500 pound mixer a couple of miles. --on 8 inch tires. The axle was on the frame so bumps were taken by the tire flex. Thus, slow was the maximum speed. 'course, it was years ago and the only trailer I had.

Sometimes a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do!

If you do try it you will know before you ever move if it will be OK for the football field distance you are moving it

alldodge

Staff member
I'm assuming funds are limited so the reason for trying this, other wise could call a hauler. Going to try a different approach, this will stand a better chance if you can make some bunks. This still is iffy but should work if its built right. At least a 20 ft trailer, longer is better

Can you find a car trailer, preferably without a dove tail. Build a fixture to hold the boat, measurements will be the biggy. I'm thinking the sides will be no more then two feet above the keel, probably more like 16 to 18 inches.

Length if fixture would be to hold boat from stern to forward of amidships, where the hull starts come up. Many boats have sling marks, so they could be used. The fixture will need to be secured to the top of the trailer.

Not telling you how or out of what to build it, only this is the way I would start
trailer.jpg

Golson Molson

Seaman Apprentice
Finally luck has stricken. Stopped in, on my way to Wiarton, at a reupholstering shop for my bow rider. Ask the question, and he gave me a card of a new hauler in the area. He'll drive 45min' next week, with his hydraulic trailer, pull the boat out and drop on blocks for $100.00 - $150.00.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
There ya go... I suggest tipping him a resturant gift card so he'll remember you when you call in the spring.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
My local marina rents trailers for $30 an hour

Golson Molson

Seaman Apprentice
My local marina rents trailers for $30 an hour

Yeah, unfortunately this is a small port in a small town on Lake Huron. The only services offered here are gas, pump out and ramp. We have one Mechanic left in town as our local in-shore Marina closed this spring due to health concerns.

Up to today, not many options. Most of the boats in our marina are over 30ft and those that have trailers, have a 10 plus ft beam compared to mine which is 8ft making jacking it off the trailer that much harder.

Hopefully this guy works out and I can spread his name around. The other hauler is a complete Jack..s as I had called him 8 times, talked to him twice and no luck getting a date.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Just have to ask, what happened to the trailer it was on? that is a good sized boat to just be sitting around!

Golson Molson

Seaman Apprentice
Just have to ask, what happened to the trailer it was on? that is a good sized boat to just be sitting around!

Never had one. Had been sitting in my wife's parents driveway on blocks for the past 8 years for sale. They decided to give it to us this summer. Nice little free boat. 1 starter battery and she fired up within 2 minutes.

Before they stored it, they bought a new top, carpets which has been stored inside, 6hrs on the rebuilt motor and they also had a coating sprayed on the hull, so it never needs to be waxed.

Looks almost brand new.

Last edited: