Boat too heavy

Golson Molson

Seaman Apprentice
Just picked up a 1988 Sunray Mirage mid-way through the summer. Problem is it has no trailer.

Boat is 4400lbs dry and will be stored on blocks over the winter.

Thoughts on using my oversized ski boat roller trailer with single axle 3500lbs to pull it out and hauling it 100yds to its storage area. It's a Calkins with load levelling bogies. The boat will hang out over the back about 4-5 feet. But we are just using it to put the boat on blocks and not really going very far.

Thanks

alldodge

Staff member
Agree it's doable, but the single 3500 axle will have probably 2000 lb over the axle rating.
Boat 4400 dry, at least 5000 wet, add another 500 for the weight of the trailer your at 5500 on one 3500 axle. Don't think I would agree if it was my trailer

Snowfish

Petty Officer 1st Class
Considering most of a boats weight is in the rear, that's a lot of concentrated load 4-5 from the rear. I see potential hull damage in your future. Not to mention the massive negative tongue weight. 4400lbs dry could very well equal over 5,000lbs actual. Internet weights are almost always very optimistic. How much do you like your ski boat trailer? Proceed with caution.

Bondo

Staff member
The boat will hang out over the back about 4-5 feet.

Ayuh,.... My guess is, there'll be negative tongue weight, 'n ya won't make it up the ramp,....

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
rent a trailer. most marinas have them

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Sounds sketchy... I've overloaded trailers before, but sod, rock, soil is pretty hard to damage. I don't think I'd risk it with a boat.

Illinoid

Petty Officer 2nd Class
3500# axle is made to support 3500 pounds going down the road with all it has to offer, pot holes, speed bumps, most of the wight going to one end on a shrp curve, etc. I don't think what you are doing would be as hard on it as high speeds on bad roads.

thumpar

Admiral
What are you going to do when you try to unhook it from the ball? The tongue with probably shoot up. My boat is only 3100lbs dry (by spec) and sits on a tandem. I have estimated the full weight at close to 4000lbs. You are probably over 5000lbs.

Golson Molson

Seaman Apprentice
Thanks for all the replies.

Unfortunately I do not have many options left. Our local boat hauler is pretty much useless - will not return phone calls.

If it were any longer of a trip, beyond the parking lot, I would not attempt this. The boat will be jacked off the trailer and dropped on blocks immediately.

Slow and steady is the plan.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I'd say 90% chance all will be fine and 10% chance you'll damage the trailer and it boat...

Before moving remove as much weight as possible... Pump out fuel, water, waste... Remove batts, gears etc, remove drive(s) etc

You may be able to remove 1000 lbs or more.

Also consider moving or removing the winch stand and strapping the boat to the trailer as absolutely far forward as possible... Remove tailgate from pickup to prevent damage..

Take your time loading and watch that the keel doesn't hit the tongue...

All said and done I wouldn't risk it.

Any marina should be able to line you up.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Literally 100 yards? I wouldn't lose any sleep over it.
You would if a roller set broke because the extreme overhang had it overloaded by maybe more than double it's capacity and the hull got punctured, OR if the frame buckled and dumped the boat on the ramp...

Not saying that it will happen but the risk is real...

OP if you choose to do this be extra cautious.... Bad enough to risk damage but be extra careful about where people are... Don't become a statistic.

Last edited:

Golson Molson

Seaman Apprentice
No Title

Just did some actual measuring. Once the winch stand is relocated, the max. Overhang is 3'-6".

That's a 17.5 ft bow rider on the trailer now and you can see how far back the winch stand is.

Attachments

• photo232384.jpg
    photo232384.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232385.jpg
    photo232385.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232386.jpg
    photo232386.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 1

alldodge

Staff member
Change my mind, I would not do it. Your boat has a deeper Vee hull, the forward rollers probably won't touch and will rest on the keel roller at best, worst it will be to one side and damage your hull and probably the trailer
fetch

thumpar

Admiral
That doesn't have very many rollers. Even the trailer I had for my last boat was longer and had more rollers. If you do it make sure to youtube it.

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Thoughts on using my oversized ski boat roller trailer QUOTE]

I'm confused, from the looks of your pics, I don't see a ski boat or ski boat trailer. Assuming, from the pics, you're talking about putting the big boat on the trailer the little boat is sitting on - I'd have to agree with the others that it seems like trouble

muskyfins

Chief Petty Officer
before I saw your pics, I was thinking, if it was my boat I'd do it.

After I saw your pics-no way. I'd look at width as well as length.

And for what it's worth, I'm usually well on the side of crazy versus most folks on this board.

Bondo

Staff member
Ayuh,.... Just make sure somebody is near by with a video recorder, 'n a fresh battery,... a cell phone will do,....

I'd Love to see the show,......

gm280

Supreme Mariner
Of all the people you may know or that has similar boats, you can't find even one that you could use their trailer? :noidea: