untitled trailer in miami fl

nemy1423

Recruit
I bought a boat in miami fl the trailer has no title can't find the previous owner what can I do now.

64osby

Admiral
Check your local or State laws.

In MI only large trailers require titles. I have registered many small trailers making them legal with a bill of sale and a weight slip.

This won't apply to FL but look up the rules and see if you can find a way to make them work.

If you can't make it work somehow, then it is scrap.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
What he said... Your local licensing agency is where you should be asking this question.

FWIW, the time to ask a question like this is BEFORE buying it.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
here are a few things about trailers in Florida.

trailers with an empty weight above 2000# get a title
trailers with an empty weight below 2000# get a registration only.
All trailers get a florida license and registration in florida.

to register a trailer in florida, you need an exact weight of the trailer supplied by the manufacturer for the VIN of the trailer (I have used emails from the trailer manufacturers), and you need the VIN, or you need to go to a scale and get the weight of your trailer only. You still need the VIN and paperwork.

you need to know your specific requirements per county. as far as countys go within Florida, some are harder than others to register a trailer and a boat.

how did you buy the trailer without knowing who the owner is? if you have prior registration or license for the trailer, you can find out who it was last registered to and go that route, or if you bought it at auction (like a storage lean type auction), then you need to follow that specific process outlined by the county tax assessor in the specific county.

Based on my experience registering trailers here that I legally owned in other states (and the headaches I went thru), it may be easier to buy a different trailer with valid paperwork.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
In September bought and registered a 10k capacity trailer (used). Bought it from an established dive shop in St Pete. Only thing I got from the seller was a bill of sale as a " home made trailer". Went to the county land fill and got a certificate of weight.(about 1500 lbs). Took that and my bill of sale to the tax collector, Transferred the plate from another trailer and walked away with a registration. No title required/issued. I get the impression that here in Florida the parasites are not overly concerned about documentation if you can produce the dinero.

Last edited:

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
as stated, some counties are easier than others. In Bradenton, they want to see the VIN and they want to see the trailer. (they also wanted to see the boat)