Tow ball is pretty scraped up

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I trailered my new-to-me boat this weekend for the first time with a brand new hitch/ball. At the end of two trips, a total of about 300 miles, the ball is visibly worn on the car side of the ball. Is that normal or am I doing something wrong? I can post a picture later if that's at all helpful.

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Mine is pretty scraped up all over. I like to put a dab on grease on it a couple of times a season. That means you have to cover the ball when not towing (lest you drag grease over your trousers anytime you walk behind the tow vehicle), but I don't like the thought of two dry metal surfaces grinding against each other.

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
Not sure what you mean by "the car side of the ball". Can you post a picture?

JASinIL2006

Vice Admiral
Not sure what you mean by "the car side of the ball". Can you post a picture?

I think he means the side of the ball facing the car (i.e., the side that would be rubbed most as the trailer was pulled).

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
I think he means the side of the ball facing the car (i.e., the side that would be rubbed most as the trailer was pulled).

That's how I took it, too. A cover like this will minimize greasy knees or even a baggie over the ball when stowing the ball mount in the trunk.

510_368755.jpg

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
I have pulled trailers every day for the last 10 years with my mowing business. I've never greased one in my life, and I've never had a problem. That being said, greasing up that ball wouldn't hurt a darn thing, and that cap is a great idea. I only tell you my story because with 10,000+ miles a year of un-greased towing for 10 years with no problems, you ought to be fine with recreational pulling no matter what you do. Just inspect the ball latch components and pack yer wheel bearings yearly.

robert graham

Admiral
You can slit a tennis ball to slide down over the ball to protect it/yourself from grease on pants-leg....a dab of grease is O.K. for the ball......

JimS123

Fleet Admiral
As a teenager when I got my first boat Grandpa said the ball needed to be greased. The old timer at the marina said grease balls. When I went to the libary and got a book on trailer boating it said to grease the balls. As an Engineering student I learned that metal parts rubbing together needed greasing.

But what do I know. My balls on every car I ever owned have been greased. I have several polished SS ball covers that have been used on car after car, and they have lasted over 50 years.

PS - tennis balls are usually used by boaters that use washlines as dock tying ropes.....LOL.

Last edited:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
Never greased one yet in over 40 years and have never had a problem, I do not leave them in during the winter so they don't pick up all that road salt and debris.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Greasing the ball makes it better BUT if you EVER put grease on ANY ball hitch of mine I'll kick your donkey!!! The mess is sooooo not worth it.

O/P... Look inside your coupler in the trailer... Dollars to doughnuts you'll see fairly heavy rust... Cleaning it up will greatly reduce the scratching on the ball...

If you decide not to grease the ball, plan on replacing the ball and coupler every 50 years or so (not a typo).... Keep it greased and your great grandkids can use it.... It's up to you.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
Kinda what I was sayn'. I run three different trailers behind two different trucks EVERY DAY. I just don't have time to be fixing something that ain't broke. If a coupler starts to feel sloppy, I'll replace the $9 ball. (Hasn't happened yet) Way better than ruining 3 pairs of pants a week. BUT... If you do have time to grease and cover and uncover a ball on a recreational setup, go for it! It will certainly not hurt anything. I'm all for OVERDOING something if there are no bad consequences. I'd suggest a white lithium grease rather than wheel bearing grease.

Last edited:

redneck joe

Supreme Mariner
i think greased balls would be fine. But messy. I like mine where I don't have to worry about being sloppy. I've never greased my balls.

BigManDan72

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Not sure how this became a thread about grease. What I need to know is this : am I doing something that is damaging my tow ball or is it normal for it to get torn up so qukckly?

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Show us a picture of the "damage" to make sure BUT 99.999999% it's fine.... Look again where I said to look for rust inside the coupler.

Chad Flaugher

Petty Officer 1st Class
If there are really deep scars on the ball, I would be concerned and check the coupler. The scratches on the "car side" are there because during towing all the force is exerted on that side of the ball. Only during breaking does it exert force on the back of the ball. After many many miles, the scratches will cover the ball entirely until it becomes a dull grey in color. When you touch the ball at this point, it will leave a residue on your finger, as well as the inside of the coupler. It is my belief that this residue acts like a dry lubricant, kinda like the dry graphite lubricant we used to use on pinewood derby cars as kids. This is the story of heavily used balls. Recreational ball/coupler setups often develop surface rust, but that is harmless. I think the rust that smokeonthewater is talking about is heavy pitting in the coupler. This will cause the heavy deep scars I mentioned. If that's the case, and I doubt it is, you may need to replace the coupler on the trailer. I agree with the %99.9999 evaluation of your situation being just fine. As always, a picture is worth a 1,000 words.

​Here we are, talking about our greasy scratched balls... :doh:

MTboatguy

Fleet Admiral
​Here we are, talking about our greasy scratched balls... :doh:

Chad, you are terrible! Yikes!

Without pictures, it is a moot point to discuss, what you might consider heavy scratches, might just be normal wear that we all have on our tow balls, unless there is something causing a major burr inside that couple, I can't imagine it is really that worn, I have lost ball mounts in the snow during the winter, only to find them later in the next summer after they have gone through the spring thaw and sat in the weather for a couple of months after things start to dry out with little signs of rust. Balls used for towing trailers are pretty tough and still work just fine even after the chrome has worn off.