Worlds First EV Car to Tow a Boat

EV KIAs - Towing, Bike Racks, Luggage Racks and such with a Hitch

Short: You can install a hitch on a EV KIA Soul and you can pull a 1000lb load an estimated 102 miles with a class 1 hitch (2000lbs/200lbs).
I believe you can use bike racks, cargo racks, and do light towing with an EV Soul with no problems.

If anyone has researched the internet on towing with an EV or even putting on a hitch, there is ZERO information out there for KIA.
There is only one person who put a hitch on a Nissan Leaf strictly for a bike rack.
I have not researched Ford, Chevy, Tesla or any others EV manufacturers.
The manufactures have never tried to install any of their hitches on an EV Soul so they do not know.
But Draw-Tite Hitches did provide pictures and frame rail spacing measurements to go by.
2 weekends ago, the rear belly pan was pulled and the frame on the rear of our cars is the same as a gas version of the Soul.
Prior to this, no one had a clue what was under there as KIA could have easily put some of the electronics there like Nissan did.

This weekend a Draw-Tite hitch was installed and the car wired for trailer lights. It requires no drilling or modifications.
As common with most all modern cars, the lighting system can NOT handle trailer lighting loads.
So a simple electrical kit was installed to put all loads on the battery. This is an industry standard.
LED lights were also used on the trailer for safety, reliability and reduced electrical loads.

Everyone knows that towing will kill the range. The only question is how bad.
A 6.9 mile hilly loop was driven and showed 3.8 miles per kW with the A/C on.
With KIAs 27 usable kilowatts, this gives 102.6 miles range on secondary roads or a loss of about 24%.
Expressway will vary a lot depending on speed, aerodynamics of your trailer/load & gross weight. This test was @ ~1000lbs.

KIA improved the aerodynamics from 0.38 to 0.35. So some may cringe at removing the rear belly pan.
I believe this will have NO effect on aerodynamics because KIA installed air dams in front of the rear axle.
This will destroy all laminar air flow and create a solid break line of turbulent airflow.
KIA also left a slot for the rear axle beam that will also destroy smooth airflow.

10-04-15 UPDATE: The boat and car were loaded up with an additional 3-400lbs and towed at 60mph.
Range dropped to 85.3 miles. The RV Park?s 50amp outlets quickly charge us back.
She is rock solid at any speed. Regenerative braking did about 98% of the stopping. Brakes were never needed even on hills.

Stability: The Soul drove normal. The steering wheel was progressively jerked harder L & R trying to induce any sign of instability.
The car stayed 100% stable. Your results can vary considerably on ?your? trailer?s stability and how ?you? load it and how fast ?you? drive.
Braking: Full brakes were applied and the Soul stopped fast, straight, and the ABS worked perfectly. Do allow for longer distances.
Power: EV cars are notorious for high torque. In fact, the EV is faster than the gasoline version. So pulling was effortless.
Water: I have NO plans to launch the boat with the battery submerged! No brainer. There are no electronics in the rear.
ItemPros for EV Soul VS Standard SoulCons for EV Soul VS Standard Soul
StabilityHeavier car, Lower C.G., Firmer Springs & Shocks.
All KIA Souls have very little rear overhang that adds to stability.
None
BrakingHeavier car for better tow vehicle to trailer weight ratio.
Regenerative braking at max setting should help & should be used.
Battery weight could add to the braking systems heat load on mountain decents if regenerative braking cannot control your speed.
Super Low Roll Resistant tires do not grip as well, especially in the rain.
PowerMore torque.
Gentle driving showed 3.8kW and 3.3kW @ 60mph being used ? less than left lane fast driving.
May over heat motor and/or controller if driven hard with a towing load. There is a protection circuit to reduce power, but that may reduce you to unsafe low expressway speeds.
WaterNoneDon?t do it, but Tesla cars have survived up to ~2 feet. Leaf has been proven to 1 foot/300mm at speed by Nissan.
ClearanceThe hitch will hit before the rear bumper and it is much tougher.There is a little loss in the rear ramp angle. With the rear belly pan removed, there is a chance the bumper could hang up on something.
Nissan Leaf?s deep water test and picture: http://www.nextgreencar.com/news/652...ed-conditions/
or video @ 1? 40? http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2...ety-video.html

Parts:
Hitch - Draw-Tite #24915 ? Tested as a quick 4 bolt process. 90% of the work is removing the belly pan.
- Curt #C11385 (Not tested and it has a bend in it to go around the exhaust that we do not have)
Trailer Wiring Kit ? Curt 56220 ? Tested and a little more work than a standard Soul.
- T-One #118637 (Not tested)

Safety:
This article has no information on ?How To? drive with a trailer. Safety comes first. Do YOUR research before trying to tow.

KIA?s Statements on Towing:
In the USA, KIA says that towing is not recommended, but it is also not forbidden. KIA owners say that their warranties have been honored even with transmission problems ... EV Cars have no transmission :)
In Europe, KIA recommends towing being limited to 550 kg/1212lbs with no brakes and 1300kgs/2866lbs with brakes.

Notes:
I found no way to run the trailer lighting power supply wire from the batt. to the rear past the main battery. However the line did run inside the rocker panel just fine. You may be able to drop the belly pan down on the driver?s side and route the wire past the main battery.

Most of my hitch accessories are made for a 2? receiver. No one makes one. So you would have to have the stock 1.25? cut off and a 2? welded on and painted.
An adaptor could also be used, but that would extend the accessory further back and increase the loads to the frame. This would mandate a reduction load carrying and stability.

FYI ? 1959 DuraCraft Run-About ? almost restored. (UPDATE: Our moderator came up with 1964 so I missed my BD Lol)

Attachments

• photo230211.jpg
    photo230211.jpg
    158.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo230212.jpg
    photo230212.jpg
    147.8 KB · Views: 0
  • photo232174.jpg
    photo232174.jpg
    348.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
Your upload files didn't make the trip. To upload a file follow these links
Pic upload 1.jpg

Pic upload 2.jpg

Kind of a long story, so if there was a question this old guy missed it

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Hate to break it to ya but you missed being the first by about 20 years....

Electric chevy S-10's were towing trailers a LONG time ago.

Volphin

Lieutenant
No Title

Here's a lovely electric tow vehicle. :D

Attachments

• photo232201.jpg
    photo232201.jpg
    243.7 KB · Views: 0

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Hate to break it to ya but you missed being the first by about 20 years....

Electric chevy S-10's were towing trailers a LONG time ago.

exactly 60 of those were actually sold, Chevy scrapped 400+ others, unable to give them away. But technically I have towed my jet ski with my street legal golf cart!

garbageguy

Lieutenant Commander
Cool looking boat.

But what was the purpose of the post? To say an EV can't do much towing? And what do you do with the batteries when they're spent? And what are the emissions associated with the procurement, manufacture and supply of the materials and components that go into making the batteries - and of their disposal?

Purpose of Post? Ok ... I was told over and over by everyone that it would not work ... but never why. It does work!
The post is to say: Within a limited range, EVs can tow and do better than the equivalent gas version and save a lot of money.

Chevy EV S10 is a truck, has little range, and it was not reliable. Soul is a car and not a golf cart. Lol! Still the first car :) But I hear you. It was for fun. It was because my Town Car is still miss-firing some. Not using gas paid about 1/2 the cost for the hitch and wiring kit. Next trip should pay for the mods. After that, I save money.
RV parks loose more money to A/C on a RV or Camper everyday than the ~$2-3 I used to recharge all week. KIA likes 50 amp outlets.

Someone said I needed a question on the forum.
What would be my range if I pulled a 37' Marinette Aluminum boat? Lol

You are right, current EVs can't pull heavy loads. Tesla is building a SUV that can tow 5000lbs or more and go much further.
My Town Car can pull way more and can go anywhere. It used to pull my 36' Beach Cat that was about 6000+lbs.
But if it is close, Lake Allatoona, Lake Lanier, and Chattahoochee River, you can bet I will be using the EV for now on :)

What to do with the batteries when spent? Lol 1/2 the cost is the battery. Buying an EV is like buying an 8 track or slide rule. It will be obsolete in a few years.
Lease only. 99% lease these soon to be obsolete models. Ask KIA or Nissan or Ford or Chevy or BMW or Tesla what they are going to do, but I believe the operative word is "Recycle". Lithium is valuable. Don't forget it is 20% Nuclear Powered. Lol

My Nissan Leaf was $199 per month or $4950 for two years including the small print. Georgia EV Tax Credit was $5000. Can you say FREE! 30,000 miles FREE!
I was spending about $200 a month on gas. My electric bill went up about $12. Now can you say, "I am saving money"! :) KIA will not be free, but it is way less than a used high mileage eco box and electricity is so much less than gasoline.

The last Teaser is, you can drive in the HOV lane solo with an EV and proper tag. Peach Lane is also free.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Chevy scrapped them to protect proprietary tech and to prevent having to supply parts for 10 years for a small run test vehicle... There were LOTS of people who wanted to own them... First I've heard of any being sold... I was under the impression they were lease only and never intended to be sold tho some folks refused to return them after the lease.

exactly 60 of those were actually sold, Chevy scrapped 400+ others, unable to give them away. But technically I have towed my jet ski with my street legal golf cart!
Now that you mention it I moved several BIG boats with an electric forklift lol

GM did the same thing with the EV1. The car was very reliable. The range was good. NiCa batteries have great range with a much lower cost than LiPo. But he rights were sold to Chevron who screwed America by putting it on the shelf to sell more oil.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
But he rights were sold to Chevron who screwed America by putting it on the shelf to sell more oil.
Old wives tale. GM canned it for many other reasons. Those cars cost GM over a million dollars per car. They weren't a viable product at that time. Don't believe everything you read on some of these conspiracy sites.

There were some patents but the EV1 was discontinued way before any of that happened. I used to work for GM and actually worked with the engineers that designed the motor controller. When I worked at the GM proving grounds, my garage was the one right next to the EV1.

BTW, the patents that you are probably referring to have long since lapsed and the car never used NiCa(NiCd) batteries. They used lead acid or NiMh.

Last edited:

moi

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Only way EVs make any sense is with the heavy government subsidies. Fed and state.

jbcurt00

Staff member
Try to remain on point fellas

Bam was told by some he couldnt tow w his EV. Which he did, and as far as I can tell, he did so safely and w no 'damage' the car or void his cars warranty.

Then documented his experience here.

Thanks Bam.

As far as other batteries used in EV cars, patents, cost to develop or manufacture previously done EVs, viablility in the market, or any discussion of subsidy: NOT RELEVANT to this topic or iboats in general.

Stay on topic

Thanks again Bam. Hope you get several more trips in for 2015. Many members have already started putting their boats to bed for the winter.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Thanks Bam.

As far as other batteries used in EV cars, patents, cost to develop or manufacture previously done EVs, viablility in the market, or any discussion of subsidy: NOT RELEVANT to this topic or iboats in general.

Stay on topic

Thanks again Bam. Hope you get several more trips in for 2015. Many members have already started putting their boats to bed for the winter.
Believe it was Bam who brought up the patents/rights.

Last edited:

jbcurt00

Staff member
My statement stands:

Stay on topic

I didnt single any one post or any one poster.

If anyone wants to discuss their posts, or my comments, do so via PM. Thank you

Thanks, I felt very safe towing with it. Since it has no transmission, nothing to break. Since regenerative braking continued to do nearly all the stopping, the brakes were barely used. The motor and controller are water cooled and stressed less than driving 80 mph. A 14' aluminum boat is not much of a test except for a Honda GoldWing. Lol!

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Bah my 1500 goldwing would have no problem pulling that boat... Now let my back tire find a little moss, THAT would be a test!

Was thinking..... What if you could source a couple of prius bat packs and do an E conversion on a 9.9 outboard with a golf cart motor.... Your range n speed would be limited but could you maybe go fishing for $1/day?

I want to see your Goldwing when the tail tries to wag the dog!! Lol

The only time I had a problem pulling was going up the boat ramp with a 2000lb German V6 Capri with a 120hp Chrysler Speed Boat on the back. I can still remember the smell of the clutch and tires burning. Plenty of power, just no traction with no weight. Feathering the clutch to keep the tires hooked up was not a good solution either. Switched cars after doing that a few times.
The stainless steel exhaust on the Town Car sounded like hail on a tin roof when I pulled in after pulling about 6500lbs. If I had it to do over I would have pulled over at the top of a hill and taken a quick look under to see if it was glowing. Lol That was the one boat I was much much happier pulling with a F350 dualy.