Hydraulic Surge Brake System for EZ Loader Trailer

troman9

Cadet
I have a 2006 triple-axle EZ Loader trailer (1ZE series). I'm working on the hydraulic brake system and I need a few simple parts, like bleed screws. The parts suppliers want to know which manufacturer made the brakes. I called EZ Loader and they claim they don't have records.

I'm hoping someone here has a trailer like mine and knows who made the brakes. Help!

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Take a picture of your brakes and one of us can likely tell you.

Bleed screws are typically universal so you could take them to any auto parts store and get new ones.

troman9

Cadet
No Title

I don't have the wheel off so I can't take a photo right now, but I can if it's critical. What I'm working on right now is replacing some of the hydraulic brake lines.

Here's a photo of the bleed screw. This is on the backing plate behind the wheel, right next to the connection for the hydraulic line. I went to Napa Auto Parts and they don't have one that matches.

Attachments

• photo232166.JPG
    photo232166.JPG
    387.8 KB · Views: 0

troman9

Cadet
Here's a view of the back where the brake line comes in next to the bleed screw.

Attachments

• brake line and bleed screw.JPG
    brake line and bleed screw.JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 0

troman9

Cadet
Looks like I have an obsolete Fulton drum brake system. Tough to know for sure what size bleed valve is needed.

I would need a 12" backing plate if I replace the whole thing.

EZ Loader sells this one:
http://estore.ezloader.com/product.asp?0=204&1=240&3=1249

Trailer Part Superstore recommends this one, which is substantially cheaper:
[FONT=&quot]http://www.easternmarine.com/titan-12-x-2-free-backing-left-hand-brake-assembly-44896-00[/FONT]

Seems equivalent, but am I asking for trouble with the cheaper one?

troman9

Cadet
Thanks Bruce, and thanks for the tip. E-trailer has a higher price for the part, but with shipping it's cheaper.

I'll look at Kodiak disc brakes. Might be worth it at this point.

Rapio

Seaman
If you end up looking for bleeder screws only, try your local brake shop. Budget Midas or private. Even 100% markup can't be too costly

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Advanced auto bailed me out with some misc wheel cylinder parts. You need to find the guy who will crawl through the bins because they won't be able to look it up.

thumpar

Admiral
I put new backing plates (4) on my trailer last year. They are UFP @ $40 a piece. They work fine but if I need to do anymore work I would put electric disc on the trailer.

troman9

Cadet
I am replacing the backing plates this weekend with the Titan Galphorite ones.

After reviewing comments in this and other forums, I've decided that I probably should have switched to disc brakes as well, if for no other reason than they are easier to flush.

I have a flush system on my trailer but after looking at how it works more closely, it's pretty clear it's probably not all that effective. Doesn't seem like it could get water to the entire inside of the drum and backing plate.

Also, the new backing plates don't come with the flush system nipple. There is a pre-drilled hole, so I'm hoping the old nipples will be easily removed and fit the new plates.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Those flush systems are almost completely worthless. I had one on my boat trailer before I put disc on it.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
With drum brakes the issues I have had were:
Drum cylinder getting water inside which causes a seized piston inside
Adjuster can seize up

Solution:
Take a new backing plate and remove the cylinder. Remove the dust boot and put triple guard grease around the upper edge of the piston. Put some on the inside of the boot. Use high temp r t v to seal the boot to the cylinder and also around the pushrod where it comes out of the cylinder. Re install the wheel cylinder. Remove the adjuster and extend the threads all the way, cover them with triple guard grease. Then retract the adjuster all the way and re install it. I also use triple guard on all sliding surfaces. These 2 modifications keep the drum brakes working well. The flush systems get salt off the shoes and drum but do not help with the 2 issues above.

bob johnson

Rear Admiral
id have to say from the rust on the current brake parts and bolts..... even tie down brakes would be a major leap up in safety!!!!!!!!!... discs are so easy...you can get hubs with the disc or dics that go over hubs!!! and a simple bracket to mount to the brake flange on the axle..... the biggest expense might be the actuator coupler...

bob

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Purchased a used tandem axle 10K trailer this summer. Came with drum brakes or more correctly what was left of the drum brakes. Actually only the backing plate remained. Rust never sleeps. Bought a Kodiak Disc Brake kit for one of the axles from BTP.com. Cost around $220 if I remember correctly. Also bought new brake lines. I am not endorsing BTP, there are a number or retailers out there with basically the same prices. Would suggest you buy only known, recognized brands i.e. Titan, Kodiak. I do not believe brakes are something you should putz around with. Brakes are to critical a system which will get you in deep kimchee when you try to bandaid or do it on the cheap.

Last edited: