supporting boat on the trailer

blue fin2

Recruit
Newb here, hope everyone is doing well.

Just bought a 16' aluminum boat and have a couple of trailer questions: The bunks need replaced and I was going to use treated lumber and put bunk carpet on the new wood. Then I heard that treated wood causes corrosion on the aluminum, what should I use?

Second issue is one of the keel rollers is about and inch down from supporting the keel, the other 2 rollers are really pressing up on the keel because the rollers are deformed a little. Where should the keel rollers ride when the boat is sitting on the bunks?

Appreciate any and all responses on my issues. Thanks

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Use oak or cypress, however with a light boat, pine would be fine. Pressure treated will eat the aluminum.

Regarding keel rollers, some are designed to support, some just to keep the boat from banking the trailer

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
The bunks get wet one or two days, then you drag them through the air a couple of miles, and then they spend a week drying. No mold will grow and it will take forever for even pine to rot. Avoid pressure treated wood but use whatever else suits you: Hardwood, Poplar, or Spruce. White pine is a little soft and may warp.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
I like to spread the load out on as many square inches as possible so I would adjust the rollers so that they are supporting some weight but not so much that they are deforming.... Should make the boat easier to load also.

airshot

Rear Admiral
It may be time to replace those rollers. Depending on how deformed they are......minor is fine but serious deformation will cause the boat to not be supported correctly and over time can cause the hull to deform. Hopefully the rollers are mounted to adjustable mounts, so a simple adjustment can be made. Most of the rest of you questions have been answered here.

Grandad

Lieutenant Commander
Hi Blue Fin. Welcome to Iboats. Perhaps cedar would be a good choice. Soft and not as strong as oak, but cheaper by far. Better rot protection than pine and other soft woods. Be selective to avoid knots at structural stress points. - Grandad