Need a Second Bow Eye

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Just brought the latest project down from Tenn. I believe it will be less expensive to put a second bow eye just below the roller than buy a new winch stanchion to fit the existing bow eye. Question is what type/size? Current bow eye is a single 1/2" bolt. Haven't found a 1/2" single bolt. They are all 3/8". Boat weighs around 5K lbs. Leary of using a 3/8" single bolt as too light for the load. Will a 3/8" u-bolt do the job? That would effectively give me 3/4" of bolt. Or should I use a 1/2" u-bolt?

Attachments

• photo231103.jpg
    photo231103.jpg
    226 KB · Views: 0

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
A new bow eye location will require you to glass in a new pillow block in that location.

Modifying the winch post would be MUCH easier and honestly.... A lot less ghetto looking.

Tnstratofam

Commander
Just out of curiosity if the winch post isn't correct for the boat, how does the boat fit on the rest of the trailer? Modifying the bow eye location or the winch post may be a mute point if the rest of the trailer can't be set up for the boat.

Last edited:

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
Also moving the bow eye down that low might put it a little too close to the water line from the pic that I see. Doing that could cause more water to be taken aboard while sitting or under way, despite a good caulk job.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Just out of curiosity if the winch post isn't correct for the boat, how does the boat fit on the rest of the trailer? Modifying the bow eye location or the winch post may be a mute point if the rest of the trailer can't be set up for the boat.

Exactly. It looks like the existing eye is loose and being pulled down now from the extreme winch angle. I bet shes a bear to pull back on the trailer.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Certainly don't want to look "ghetto". Anyhow, a 50" post will cost $140. It matches up very well with the existing bow eye but I don't like that one. Or weld an extension onto the existing post. Not crazy about that one. The weld would definitely look "ghetto". Or lower the existing bow eye. I kind of like that one. Can't see any indication of hull re-enforcement (pillow block) behind the existing bow eye. If needed I could use a 2' section of 2" angle steel inside the hull for re-enforcement or?. Boat came without a trailer and in the water. Bought a 10K lb trailer for a 28' to 31' boat. Adjusted the bunks to match the hull, fits like a glove, and pulled it out of the water. Boat stopped about 3' short of the roller when the strap angle became to steep. Used a "come along" and my truck to snug it up to the roller and that is where she sits today. Going through the same evolution every time I launch/recover will not be an option. Boat will live on it's trailer on my property. The repositioned bow eye would be 1' above the water line. I don't believe water tight integrity will be a problem.

GA_Boater

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Do it right. Change the post to one that fits the boat, not change the boat to fit the winch.

Lower bow eye to one inch above the water line. That's not good, water has waves, prop wash and wakes to go through. Leave the eye where it is.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
002.JPG You don't have to pay $140 for a new post. Go visit your local trailer repair facility and see what they have lying in their used pile. I got a perfectly functioning rust free galvanized post for $25 with the trade of my existing post.

Last edited:

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
OR if welding is an option... buy a piece of tubing for $20, cut the existing winch post apart, and put it back together with a longer tube.... It would take me about 30 minutes to cut it up and rebuild it.... then a quick coat of cold galv spray on the welds and better than new.

EVEN IF you had to spend $140 to do it right it would be well worth it...

Last edited:

Local46er

Cadet
I agree change the winch post to fit the boat. Results will be far better and you will be happier in the long run.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Okay, that is fairly convincing and unanimous. I'll believe I'll go the post route. Thanks for saving me from my brilliant idea.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
$140 for a boat that size is NOTHING! Calculate how long that will cost you in fuel...

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
That piddling bow eye you have is about the cheapest that can be found and inadequate for the job it is expected to do. Aside from bending the threaded rod, the white metal loop will wear fast AND the chrome plating will corrode (if it already has not) Once you change the winch post DEFINITELY fit a 1/2 inch bow eye. They only come in two post types. Spend the extra for a stainless one. Replace the existing pillow block with a nice hard maple one cut to fit the vee in the bow and at least 6 inches long. Back up the nuts with a plate of stainless or thick aluminum.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
Bow eye is probably not original. Can see a larger foot print around the present one and the shaft does look to be 3/8. Inside the bow there is a pillow block which was glassed over at the factory during the build. Don't really want to start modifying/excavating the factory design which apparently has worked for 40 years. As suggested, will replace the bow eye with a 1/2 SS and a back up plate over the existing glass/pillow block. Thanks for all the help.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
No Title

So, this is how it turned out. Finished except for connecting the safety chain. Don't want to leave it connected to the eye on the winch plate. That would allow the boat to move back several feet if the strap broke. Anyhow, welded a 2 foot extension onto the winch post, sprayed it, replaced the strap and replaced the bow eye (1/2" SS). Spent about $70. Thanks for the help ship mates!

Friz

Attachments

• photo234524.jpg
    photo234524.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 0
  • photo234525.jpg
    photo234525.jpg
    148.6 KB · Views: 0
  • photo234526.jpg
    photo234526.jpg
    157.9 KB · Views: 0

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
The 'after' pictures look far better! Got any pictures of the rest of the boat? Just curious, she looks big!

poconojoe

Lieutenant Commander
I see you fixed the problem. I was going to suggest you raise the bunks to bring the whole boat up higher.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Looking good!
One more mod I'd suggest... If you look at the current attachment of the winch post to the trailer it has a very small footprint and the long post has a LOT of leverage....

I would add a diagonal brace either in front or behind the post as long as practical to give much more strength to the post.

FrizFreleng

Seaman
No Title

Except for the winch post the trailer fit underneath the boat like a glove. When I bought the boat near Nashville it was in the water without a trailer. I returned to Florida and bought a trailer in St. Pete. Found a wreck at a boat yard, measured the hull and set the trailer up accordingly. Rather unique boat. Some people love them, some hate them. I am in the former group. Huge cabin. About 20 feet long. One drawback is that there in not a helm in the cabin. Only the flying bridge. Definitely designed for more temperate climes. I live in Florida. This boat is taking us to the Bahamas and Keys.

Attachments

• photo234532.jpg
    photo234532.jpg
    389.6 KB · Views: 0