Proper trailering

tanker1983

Cadet
Hello all. I need some advice.

When trialering my boat, a 2008 Glastron DX235, 5.0MPI with an SEI 116, I approach the trailer with just enough speed to get locked into the bunks. I have guide posts so drifting off in a stiff breese or current isn't a problem. I have the matching EZLoader trailer with 4 bunks and I leave approx 3 inches of the longest set out of the water.

Once locked in, I power up to get as close to the bow stop as possible. I rarely hit the bow stop and have minimal winching to do. If I do hit the bow stop, it is never violently.

Is this a good tecnhique? Or should I stop once I am locked in and winch the rest of the way?

Thanks.

littlerayray

Lieutenant
Most places frown upon power loading boats because you end up digging holes and ruining ramps with the prop wash I never power load and always winch my boat on I usually only dunk 1/3 of my bunks it's a little slower but will save you if something goes wrong imho try just wincing it on larger boats will appreciate it when they gotta goto the end of ramp

H20Rat

Vice Admiral
Although there are a small number of ramps where powerloading isn't too bad, it generally is a bad idea, both for your boat and the ramp. Use the winch, that is what is for.

Also, the amount of bunk sticking out of the water (and how deep you back in) is based on the slope of the ramp. I've found watching the water level on the tire is usually more consistent between different ramps. One of my boats needs water just above the tire, the other needs probably about 8 inches of water, and it doesn't seem to vary much depending on the ramp. (and your tires are much easier to see while backing down the ramp!)

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
Your approach sounds fine. Don't be afraid to winch it up a foot or so. Practice will help. If you have a long ways to winch it, back in a few inches more. If you find you have problems wit aligning to the bow eye, you are too deep.

FYI. My boat on the prestige trailer, I always have people tell me I'm too deep, but it likes it that way. I back in on my ramps with just about a foot of the middle bunks sticking out, which is about 6 inches of the top of the fenders visible. I pull up much the same as you and only need to winch about 6 inches,and the boat is not floating off while doing this. If the boat starts floating, trailer is too deep.

bassman284

Commander
It seems like a lot of folks on this forum (if not most) are very opposed to power loading. It depends where you live. In Iowa, where I live, power loading is the norm and the ramps are built for it. Where you have shallow, unfinished ramps I can see where power loading could be a problem. Not the case here.

Frank Acampora

Supreme Mariner
Where I normally launch, there is about three feet of water. 8 or 10 feet out there is a sand bar and only one foot of water because of the power loaders. So, yes, you are correct: It does depend upon the ramp and design.

tanker1983

Cadet
Thanks, guys. I never considered the particularities of each ramp for recovery. My home ramp has approx 35 feet of concrete behind my prop at deepest trailer set. So I will continue to power load there, but will definitely make it a consideration elsewhere.

jayhanig

Master Chief Petty Officer
My municipal ramp doesn't allow power loading for the reasons already mentioned. The ramps in the next town up the island (about 4 miles from here) allow power loading. Both ramps are nice concrete ramps in excellent condition. So I'd say it depends on local custom more than any particular regulation. Personally, I float my boat on and then winch it the rest of the way no matter where I am. It's easy enough and nobody's ever complained.

gm280

Supreme Mariner
I power loaded my bass boats when I still had it. But that was such a little bit of power used. Because I got use to how far back to set the trailer and it took so little power to load the boat. It will come to you the more you load your boat. Once you get the feel for how far to back in, loading will be easy. I see so few folks loading their boats without their engines helping around where I boat. I had to manually load my other boats. But they were not very large and I could manually move them around if needed... JMHO!

keith2k455

Chief Petty Officer
The other thing about power loading is the force it puts on your tow rig.